Author Topic: Taking daughter on date speech  (Read 14156 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Taking daughter on date speech
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 05:59:15 AM »
he posted a pic  and if i can get married (twice) to seemingly normal women all things are possible
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
Having dated a good bit back in the day, I heard the speeches, got the not too subtle threats, and even had the guns on the table moment.  I can say that none of it really had any effect.  As near as I can figure, instead of spending time and energy working on the threat, you should instead spend the time and energy teaching your daughters.  What you need to teach them are the following:

1.  Good judge of character
2.  How to avoid involuntary and voluntary intoxication
3.  How to recognize problems before they occur, and how to escape a bad situation before it becomes inescapable
4.  How to get out of a jam physically if necessary
5.  How to use a cell phone to call you any time for help, no matter what the situation may be
6.  That no matter what she does, you'll come to help her and not judge her for what she's done

I met a few young ladies who had this type of situation.  Two are, and will be, lifeling friends.  The third is my wife.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

bmitchell

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
Your wife isn't a lifelong friend?

Ben

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »

Ben

Isn't it implied?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »

Ben

I look at it as a life long prison sentence. :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 12:50:36 PM »
STOP THE THREAD!!!

You have a girlfriend?
=D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

bmitchell

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 01:43:20 PM »
"Two are, and will be, lifelong friends.  The third is my wife" implies that the third differs from the first two.
"Three are, and will be, lifelong friends, one of whom is my wife" would be more accurate to what I hope the situation is.

Ben

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »
"Two are, and will be, lifelong friends.  The third is my wife" implies that the third differs from the first two.
"Three are, and will be, lifelong friends, one of whom is my wife" would be more accurate to what I hope the situation is.

Ben

Seriously? 
 ;/
Nitpicking grammar is one way to begin an acrimonious relationship around here.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 03:05:06 PM »
Seriously? 
 ;/
Nitpicking grammar is one way to begin an acrimonious relationship around here.....
Ellipses do not consist of five dots.  Three shall suffice.

:laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

bmitchell

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 03:21:03 PM »
Sorry, I'm really bored.
:)

Ben

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »
Ellipses do not consist of five dots.  Three shall suffice.

:laugh:

.....but I prefer to use SUPERIOR ellipises.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »
Dads liked me, which was the kiss of death, as far as any girl was concerned.  =( Did wonders for my dating life in high school.

Later on, in my early twenties, at the time, the only thing Mrs. Dual's father knew about me was that I was a "college dropout", and "had a whole bunch of guns".  :laugh: And the first time he saw the apartments where I was living, he had to drive the back way through what was then the rundown part of Milwaukee's warehouse district to get my roomate's and my rather posh loft. Apparently he was freaking out, and the future Mrs. Dual enjoying every minute of it.

It didn't last long, I was a perfectly respectful and clean-cut twentysomething who didn't finish school because I never found a good time to break the golden handcuffs of corporate I.T. work. As opposed to his daughter who'd spent four years getting her B.F.A. in -cough(underwaterbasketweaving)cough- theater and only worked retail clothing in the mall.

But, I still managed to freak him out, if only for a little while, and she was the one I wound up marrying.

Funny how that works out.  ;/

My four little girls, almost all the same age?

I strongly suspect that after enduring a few years of their puberty, by the time they're dating age, I'll be saying something like: "You have a windowless van, with carpet in the back?.... Great! Here's $100, take the other three with you too!"
I promise not to duck.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »
again: without photographic or video proof, didn't happen...

You know I love my fellow APSers, but I am not about to broadcast my lady friends identity for anyone to see on teh interwebz.

Just like it is unlikely you will ever see a pic of me either. :cool:

Lee

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 10:54:22 PM »
If I feel the need to intimidate - then she isn't going with him.
If I were to intimidate though, it would probably go something like this, "I'm old and my l my life doesn't mean all that much to me...but your's means even less."

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 08:49:28 AM »
You know I love my fellow APSers, but I am not about to broadcast my lady friends identity for anyone to see on teh interwebz.

Just like it is unlikely you will ever see a pic of me either. :cool:

Wise.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-77-21-ez-carry-holster.aspx
^^^ Basically the best I could get for the money I have--open top, no retention.  :|

You can get a basic Uncle Mike's medium frame velcro holster with a thumb break for $20-30.  I recommend looking at a Fobus holster.  For example, their basic paddle holster for SIGs here.  Fobus holsters are also in the $20-30 range, extremely durable, and have great retention.  The trigger guard has an indentation which snaps into the trigger guard on the gun.  Which effectively keeps it from going anywhere.  I'm still carrying my Glock in the same GL2 I bought six years ago.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 09:26:35 AM »
My four little girls, almost all the same age?

I strongly suspect that after enduring a few years of their puberty, by the time they're dating age, I'll be saying something like: "You have a windowless van, with carpet in the back?.... Great! Here's $100, take the other three with you too!"

So how much are you planning on charging the guy to take them back?  $100 per head?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »
So how much are you planning on charging the guy to take them back?  $100 per head?

=D You see right through me. Ammo is expensive! And it won't be any cheaper around 2020 or so when mine are going to be moving into dating age...

I never understood the tradition of dowry, especially where it continues in the third world today. I always thought desperate guys, and their families, would pay to get the wife they wanted.

With a wife and four daughters of my own, now I get it.  :angel:

Oh, and digitalandanalog, thanks for the PM, Yowza! She really is a catch! One question though, are they real?

Never mind, who cares?  =D
I promise not to duck.

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 11:12:18 AM »

I've always liked the line I heard Howie Mandel use in one of his stand-up routines:

"I look forward to the day when my daughter starts dating because any guy who wants to take her out has to come to the house and meet me."

I'm going to have fun. And probably embarrass my daughters.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 10:17:33 PM »

Ben

Hey, I'm a lawyer, and a magistrate at that.  Picking on my grammer and doing so in a way that could result in rocking my marital bliss is a sure way to invoke my contempt powers!

All three are lifelong friends.  My differentiation was dramatic effect, with the intended implication being that all three women have played, and will continue to play, key parts in my life.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2009, 04:33:23 AM »
The fun continues.    ;/

Sue's getting her place ready to put up for sale, so Saturday I spent going back and forth between "helping" her mom convince her that she didn't need 75% of the cosmetics, clothes, and other random stuff she had, and helping her dad install all-new countertops in the kitchen. 

Was especially fun holding the piece being cut out for the sink from underneath as her dad did the sawing.  I had a lot on my mind: 1) making sure the piece didn't land on my head and disable or kill me, 2) trying to keep the sawdust out of my face and nose, and 3) ensuring that my fingers were well out of the cutting path of the saw.  :O

After an hour of moving furniture and boxes, Sue's dad declared that it was time for barbecue, and insisted that I come along with them to Earl's Rib Palace, his treat.  Only condition was that I dust myself off so that I wouldn't get Sue (or his truck) dirty.   =)

Oddest part of the whole evening was the radio station her parents had playing.  I don't listen to 70s-early 80s pop/funk (was raised on Metallica), but I seemed to impress them when I started picking out stuff like Morris Day, Average White Band, Hues Corporation, etc. Apparently embarrassed the heck out of Sue in the process, who then died laughing as I started singing along.  =D
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams