Author Topic: Martha's Free!  (Read 6306 times)

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Martha's Free!
« on: March 04, 2005, 02:21:05 AM »
Oh Joy!!! Martha Stewart is home from prison. All is right with the world.

Greg L

Martha's Free!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 02:23:31 AM »
The talk radio guy was doing a minute by minute countdown last night.  It was really amusing until you realized that the nuze networks were doing the same thing but seriously :shock: .  

Greg (breathlessly waiting for the next Michael Jackson update rolleyes )

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Martha's Free!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 02:58:08 AM »
WHo is Martha Stewart again?
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

MaterDei

• friend
Martha's Free!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 04:25:07 AM »
A Marta Stewart thread?  APS WAS off to a rousing start.  Now I'm wondering if cancelling the who thing altogether wasn't such a bad idea after all.   Wink

That couch smiley is funny and very appropriately used.

Wildalaska

• friend
Martha's Free!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 01:24:49 PM »
Her stock is now up 120%, crime pays

WildandherproductsareoverpricedAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Schuey2002

• friend
Martha's Free!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 01:38:30 PM »
Plus she's got a reality show in the works. Heck, I was flipping through the channels a second ago and Style Network is so excited that she is out of jail that they are running a "Martha Marathon" on Sunday. Oh Joy!! rolleyes

Yep, yuppie white collar crime does pay, I guess..

Holly76201

Martha's Free!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 03:05:02 PM »
What in the blue blazes is so whacked with part of our society [that] they are heroine-worshipping a CRIMINAL?!?!?!

Maybe I'm just too old {almost 50} but I remember when  anyone who had been to prison was embarrassed and most folks avoided them or at least didn't treat them as some kind of "special case".

Who's with me?
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean

Chuck Jennings

Martha's Free!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 06:59:49 PM »
This was one heck of an example of political prosecution.  It seems that they made Martha a target, and were determined to get her no matter what.  In the end, she was convicted of claiming to be innocent of a crime that she was never charged with.

Wildalaska

• friend
Martha's Free!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 09:11:47 PM »
his was one heck of an example of political prosecution. It seems that they made Martha a target, and were determined to get her no matter what. In the end, she was convicted of claiming to be innocent of a crime that she was never charged with.

Jury didnt think so........

WildguiltyguiltyguiltyAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

wasrjoe

Martha's Free!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 09:14:52 PM »
This was one heck of an example of political prosecution. It seems that they made Martha a target, and were determined to get her no matter what. In the end, she was convicted of claiming to be innocent of a crime that she was never charged with.

How are you so sure of this?
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Chuck Jennings

Martha's Free!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 10:12:58 PM »
OF course, no one can be 100% sure, but there is a lot about this situation that was unfair.  

The criminal charges leveled against her was securities fraud.  The SEC said that she lied when she denied engaging in insider trading to the press in order to inflate the stock price, but couldn't prove she was lying.   So, she was convicted of denying that she was involved in insider trading even though she was never even charged with the offense.  

In this situation, a jury verdict is not persuasive for me, as many of the jurors interviewed after the verdict had a lot of things to say about "arrogance" and "victory for the little guy over the bigwigs." There was not much talk of the finding of fact.  

Never mind the fact that "insider trading" is a nebulous concept to which the SEC has taken the "we know it when we see it" aprroach rather than clearly defining it.  

This case has shown what many of us know.  If the gov't wants to get you, they will.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Martha's Free!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 01:53:32 PM »
I wonder if...

Martha played the role of the man or woman in the relationship with her cellmate.   :?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Schuey2002

• friend
Martha's Free!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 02:11:56 PM »
Hmmmmm..

It makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Martha's Free!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 02:13:36 PM »
I'm just curious.

(I'd make her my b**ch...) Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Chuck Jennings

Martha's Free!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 04:22:19 PM »

Bruce H

Martha's Free!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 12:59:49 PM »
Martha went to jail for lying to investigators.
Ken Lay should get the death penalty for lying to everybody. Marthas was a farce and i can't stand her. There are several eligible candidates for court appearances that haven't happened yet. The Worldcom jury sounds like twelve brain sergeons also.
It is possible to always be wrong.

Unisaw

• friend
Martha's Free!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 01:12:24 PM »
I agree that Martha was treated more harshly than others.  However, I think the problem is with the lenient treatment given to others.  Martha was a stockbroker at one time, was CEO of a public company and was, I believe, about to be nominated to the board of the New York Stock Exchange.  She should have known better.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Rico567

Martha's Free!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2005, 08:40:42 AM »
All the charges against her were dropped except lying to investigators. Had she simply 'fessed up, she probably would have been out the door for under $100K, fines and all -chump change for her- and half of that would have been fees to her high-priced lawyers. Now she's a convicted felon, having to figure out some way of keeping her right ankle with its electronic bracelet out of view of the TV cameras, and she's going to have to pay out even more on appeals as she tries to get her conviction reversed so that she can get out from under being a felon (which will probably prevent her from being on the board of Martha Stewart, Inc., or the Zik-Zak Corporation, or whatever it's called).

As far as all the entertainment and hoopla, folks, look around....what isn't? Alistair Cooke, one of my favorite commentators on the United States, probably the greatest since Alexis de Tocqueville, who passed away this past year, was asked around 30 years ago what he liked about the U.S. (He became a citizen around the time of WWII.) He had a pretty good list, including jazz music, etc. He was then asked what he believed to be the greatest flaw of the U.S. He replied "The love of show; the growing tendency to prefer style over substance." At the time, I was still young & dumb enough not to grasp what he was saying. Now, it's so much a part of the wallpaper of our daily existence we hardly notice....