Author Topic: California budget deal to free 27,000 inmates  (Read 6633 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
California budget deal to free 27,000 inmates
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:58:27 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090721/ts_alt_afp/uspoliticscaliforniabudget

California budget deal to free 27,000 inmates
AFP

Tue Jul 21, 7:17 pm ET

LOS ANGELES (AFP) – A proposed plan to solve California's budget crisis would reduce the state's prison population by 27,000, it was reported Tuesday, as opposition to the new fiscal deal mounted.

The Los Angeles Times reported on its website that the budget deal, announced by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and bipartisan lawmakers on Monday, would involve the early release of thousands of inmates.

The Times said the reduction would be achieved through a combination of measures including allowing prisoners to finish their sentences on home detention and creating incentives for completion of rehabilitation plans.

The prison inmate proposal would help save the state 1.2 billion dollars in the coming fiscal year, the Times reported.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca meanwhile condemned the proposed state budget, telling the Times that cuts to local government would force authorities across the state to shut down jails or slash officers from street patrol.

"I think it is one thing to have a natural disaster... but it is another thing to have local cities and counties hit by a disaster predicated on the irresponsible actions of the state legislators," Baca told the Times.

California's fiscal woes have deepened as the state reels under the effects of the recession, which have sent unemployment and home foreclosures soaring and state revenues plunging to levels not seen since the 1990s.

The budget crisis has pushed the state to the brink of bankruptcy and forced California to start paying its bills with IOUs earlier this month.

The precise details of the budget -- designed to plug a 26.3-billion-dollar shortfall in California's finances -- have not been released. The budget plan is to be put before lawmakers in Sacramento for approval on Thursday.

However public employees and local governments voiced opposition to the proposed budget on Tuesday as details began to filter out.

Monday's deal reportedly allows for some 15 billion dollars in spending cuts, including slashing around nine billion dollars from schools, community colleges and state university programs.

It also slashes around 1.3 billion dollars from a state health care program for the poor as well around 124 million dollars from a scheme to provide health insurance to more than 900,000 children in low-income households.

"The budget revision that we are going to be voting on contains painful solutions for all Californians," California Assembly speaker Karen Bass said.

"For Democrats I have to tell you that many of the cuts that we have had to make, in another time we would have thought were unthinkable. But because of the unprecedented and ongoing recession we did not feel that we had a choice."

Although Democratic legislators have insisted future spending will return to previous levels when California's economy improves, sceptical union leaders urged the state assembly to reject the budget.

The leader of the California Federation of Teachers (CFT) responded to the budget with dismay.

"The priorities are wrong. Massive cuts to all levels of education while, at the same time, preserving unproductive corporate tax breaks, is a blueprint for further California decline," CFT President Marty Hittelman said.

The leader of the 340,000-strong California Teachers Association called on legislators to pass the budget while acknowledging that the cuts would see students return to school to find "fewer teachers, fewer course offerings and fewer resources."

So releasing inmates early will save money from one bucket (state coffers)  but could wind up costing more money out of another bucket (local law enforcement) and endanger the general public.  =|
I know things are tough but letting that many inmates out seems a little reckless.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: California budget deal to free 27,000 inmates
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »
A lot of minimum-custody inmates are not that much of a physical threat to the community, although there are repercussions from the petit crimes they indulge in.  If the majority of the 27K inmates are locked up due to drug issues it may be even less of a community impact.

Quite frankly I am glad to see the cuts to "higher education" and state medical care to the indigent (which in California apparently also includes illegal aliens).  Colleges and universities ought to go back to teaching and quit offering "social justice and policy" courses, along with the femminist view on anything.  Technical/vocational courses should be able to cover their costs and maybe have a little profit left over for the football team.

My point of view is that these cuts may actually work to get some folks to go out and secure employment, if only for the benefits.

As for the threats that the cops will suffer reductions in force to the point that public safety is compromised - well, the Supreme Court has 5 times decided that there is no duty to protect any individual citizen, and that the primary duty of the cops is to investigate crimes to catch the guilty part.  Oh, yeah!  And to write traffic and other revenue-enhancing citations. :angel: :police:

California brought all this on itself.  Let it go belly up.  All the uber-liberals and illegals can cram into all there is south of San Diego (gotta keep MCRD Hollywood, the Navy Boot Camp, and the Fleet) and join Mexico for all I care.

[Gene Pitney] It's hard to live in a town with no pity.[/Gene Pitney]

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »
I agree with Sheriff Lee Baca:
...but it is another thing to have local cities and counties hit by a disaster predicated on the irresponsible actions of the state legislators," Baca told the Times.

I also agree with vaskidmark:
California brought all this on itself.

Been hearing the rumblings of grassroots activism to make our full-time legislators go back to being part-time and to sever the control of certain special interest groups. All our legislators seem to do lately is flaunt their elitism, waste money we no longer have and dream up more laws to make us miserable.  :mad:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:36:57 PM »
Are burglary and theft also considered small crimes that can be let out?  I am sure there are guys in prison who could be let out, but I don't trust the govt to make the right choice.  If a percentage of these guys go back to crime in some form it will end up costing the state and local govts more down the road.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
I am sure there are guys in prison who could be let out, but I don't trust the govt to make the right choice. 

Then why do you trust them to choose whom to put in? :cool:
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
California brought all this on itself. Let it go belly up.

Yep. Handing that sorry excuse for a state more money to squander would only encourage it to squander still more.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 06:44:31 PM »
The leader of the California Federation of Teachers (CFT) responded to the budget with dismay.

"The priorities are wrong. Massive cuts to all levels of education while, at the same time, preserving unproductive corporate tax breaks, is a blueprint for further California decline," CFT President Marty Hittelman said.

This easy to say since I don't live there, but I would like to see the teacher's union get everything it wants.  Plus all the other pet groups as well.  Then when business and people of wealth leave the state and further push it into economic ruin, maybe, just maybe they will wake up.  Yeah, I know that's a pipe dream.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 01:24:20 AM »
California brought all this on itself.  Let it go belly up.

I live in Sacramento, and I have family affected by the furloughs and cuts--and I'm delighted by this.  I can't believe the Republicans held out long enough.  There is no way we should eliminate the two thirds requirement to pass a budget; some of you might want to suggest it to your own legislators.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.