Author Topic: Feeling accomplished....  (Read 2458 times)

Jason

Feeling accomplished....
« on: March 16, 2005, 01:37:15 PM »
Today, I framed my first 14' of basement wall.  I've got around 600 unfinished sqft.  Lots of lessons learned, and I'm now damn glad I don't really work for a living.  
When I'm done, it will have a 10x14ish bedroom, 8'x8' storage room, finished laundry room, and a bedroom suite/multi-media room (about 14'x16').

buy guns

Feeling accomplished....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 02:36:33 PM »
post pics when youre done

Moondoggie

• friend
Feeling accomplished....
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:23:22 PM »
Just remember, you can build it, tear it down cuz you screwed-up, and rebuild it correctly cheaper than hiring someone to do it for you.  Especially if you don't make the same mistakes twice!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Jason

Feeling accomplished....
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 06:20:59 AM »
Thanks guys.  So far the only mistake I made was the fist dropped down section required me to build an 8"x9" box to fill it in.  It took me an 3 tries and an hour....well, that and the wrong size ammo for the nail gun....

cfabe

• friend
Feeling accomplished....
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 06:40:15 AM »
I'm actually working on a similar project right now as well. I'm re-finishing our basement. Had been 1965 masonite paneling and nasty acoustic tile celing.  I completely gutted it down to cement block and joists, and am finishing it with drywall. I'm going to be using a Dow product called wallmate which is a styrofoam insulation with slots for furring strips built in. I'd lose too much room if I framed it out in a conventional wall.

Finished product will be a 12x20 home theater room and a 12x13 bedroom, with new legal egress windows and a future full bath.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Feeling accomplished....
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 10:03:34 AM »
Pretty well done!

In my first house, we gutted the downstairs, built walls where they needed to be built, and removed them where they needed to be removed.  Rebuilt kitchen from scratch.  Only now, five or six years later, am I almost (but not quite) ready to do a project like that again.  Smiley

-Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Feeling accomplished....
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 11:05:18 AM »
Just wait until you get to your first inside corner.

Just about put me into a coma trying to figure out how to get it so that I could support the dry board and the structure without hideously overbuilding.

In the end?

I hideously overbuilt.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.