Author Topic: RAIN-X  (Read 6029 times)

Paddy

RAIN-X
« on: March 16, 2005, 04:27:13 PM »
Anybody use this stuff?  I put on my car windows and it leaves a greasy smeary mess. blech.

RRTX

RAIN-X
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 04:40:35 PM »
I use the rain-x windshield washer fluid, in my opinion it works just as well as the normal stuff and is a million times easier to apply.

Parker Dean

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 04:54:11 PM »
Yeah, it looks a bit messy for a day or two and then settles down. Since it's essentially a wax this is to be expected.

I like it. It really helps on the bug guts removal, and when you're on the highway as much as I am that's a definite plus.

mtnbkr

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 05:07:26 PM »
I've always gotten good results by polishing it in with newspaper or a clean rag.  I stopped using it years ago because it was such a PITA.  If you get it on right, it's great.

Chris

stevelyn

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 05:37:05 PM »
Awesome stuff. You don't need to use your windshield wipers at highway speeds. I apply a dose of it about once a month and always use the additive in the washer resevoir.
If it looks messy, buff the windows with a clean rag or rinse them off with a hose. Either way the haze will disappear. BTW most pilots use it on the windshields of their airplanes.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
RAIN-X
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 06:24:17 PM »
I'll second the washer fluid.  that's what I use, and I do say that at highway speeds you really have no need for windshield wipers.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

cfabe

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 06:43:58 PM »
I also use the rainx washer fluid, it's good stuff. Keeps a nice rainx film on the windsheild and I never have to re-apply.  Makes the wipers work better and I don't need them on the freeway.

Wildalaska

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 07:28:57 PM »
beats one of those homeless guys with th poop rag washin off yer windows

WildyuckAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Unisaw

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 07:29:36 PM »
It comes in pretty handy here in the Pacific NW.  It is a pain to apply, but it last several months.  YMMV.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
RAIN-X
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 10:32:36 PM »
I've used it before.  My windshield wipers took a complete dump so I put some on the next day.  As long as I was above 40mph I could see perfectly clear.  Maybe my windshield has a good slope for the stuff.

BTW, you're supposed to apply the stuff when it's over 40 degrees.  I found that if it was cold that the hazy thing was more prevalent.  It does take a while to buff it out and make it clear again.  I think I'll try the windshield washer additive stuff.

Schuey2002

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 10:46:14 PM »
I apply it before I go out wheelin' in the winter..

I love watching the mud just fly off the windshield!! Hehehe. Smiley

BillBlank

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 11:19:58 PM »
Can someone read their bottle and tell me if it's ok to apply to plastics? I've just ridden through the winter again and trying to keep my visor  from being opaque was a pain, as it always is.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

RAIN-X
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 11:37:54 PM »
Don' t have a bottle handy.

I started using it again simply because Mom was fussing about not seeing very well in the rain. Her age and eyes ...still I was expected to "come up with something".  *shrug*.  So I apply to her car with her piddlin' in town driving and now I am a "good son" ( whoopee for me) .  I also put on new complet wipers - I ain't gonna tell her though.

Applied above 40* and I use newspaper to wipe. If a haze [ don't want mom to fuss now do we?] I spritz the glass with a spray bottle and wipe with a lint free cloth.

Oh...I was in the Family Dollar Store and saw they carried it. $2 , yes everyday price of $2  for the 3.5 oz size. Less than the Auto Parts store next door for sure.  Same Rain-X , package, bottle and all - Just had the FD price label is all.

I have used the Castrol Product as well. Seems I  used their cloths that do a similar thing - free sample sent in my junk mail.

TarpleyG

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 04:03:33 AM »
Quote from: BillBlank
Can someone read their bottle and tell me if it's ok to apply to plastics? I've just ridden through the winter again and trying to keep my visor  from being opaque was a pain, as it always is.
I used it all the time when I had motorcycles a few years ago.  I experienced no issues at all.  And you can use Fog-X on the inside as well.

Greg

Wedge

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 04:55:01 AM »
I use the de-icer Rain-x windshield washer fluid.  Works great.

mtnbkr

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 05:12:19 AM »
I dunno if it exists or not, but they also make an anti-fog product.  I used it back when I drove a 72 VW Beetle every day.  It was great for keeping the windows defogged during damp days.  I stopped using it once I fixed the defroster hoses.

Chris

...has left the building.

RAIN-X
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 05:52:29 AM »
I just use the washer fluid as well. As others have said, at highway speeds wipers are not even needed.

Paddy

RAIN-X
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 05:59:27 AM »
Just learned something from a lady here at work.  She has been using RAIN-X since the 70's and claims they never have to use their windshield wipers.  BUT, she said they buy it in small quantities because it goes bad and doesn't work well after awhile.  The bottle I used was several years old.  Maybe that's the problem.

thumbody

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 06:59:30 AM »
I started out using Prestone Rain Repellant but can no longer find it. Switched to rain x. I think the Prestone applied easier and didn't streak as much.
 I find it also makes scraping ice off the windows much easier. When I was on 3rd shift I would have all my windows cleared while others were still scraping their windshield.
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

RAIN-X
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 07:31:18 AM »
Rain X is good stuff! It does leave a little bit of a haze but hit it with a little water sprayer after you apply the first layer then wipe it down. I love the stuff!

Lws

RAIN-X
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2005, 03:11:34 PM »
Love it alot.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
RAIN-X
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2005, 03:33:52 PM »
Rain-X is very cool stuff.  It's basically an acidized alcohol.  

A Caveat- apply it EXACTLY as the instructions on the bottle say and it will work. Give it time to dry before you wipe it off.  I've used the stuff for 30 years and it sure made a difference, especially on a couple of vehicles...most notably the old 1949 Ford with vacuum-operated wipers (ugh) and the VW camper with a patio-door sized windshield. It's a huge boon to visibility in rainy weather, and, at speeds of > 30 mph it nearly negates the need for cranking up your wipers- the rain just doesn't stick to the windshield. It's as if it modifies the surface tension of the water- it doesn't want to stay on the windshield.  

It makes bird poop and bugsplats easy to deal with, too.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

XLMiguel

RAIN-X
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2005, 03:37:11 PM »
Been using it for 20+ years, maybe into my third bottle.  It doesn't go bad with age.  The trick is to get your windshield good and clean to start. apply per instructions, buff it in well and do a second coat the same way.  Yes, it does take a bit of elbow grease.  Spritzing with a little watter before you buff helps.  I seem to do it 2-3X/year on the windshield, ix/yr on the sides & rear glass.  Ice, frost, snow just pops off in winter with rubber squeegee, next to no scraping req'd.

I've also used it on the clear plastic headlight covers, works OK but Meguirar's plastic cleaner & polish does a better job, as does Klasse All-in-one.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
RAIN-X
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2005, 03:25:46 AM »
I've used it and regular car wax on my windows.  Can't tell a difference between the two.  But car wax is quicker and easier to apply.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Silver Bullet

• friend
RAIN-X
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2005, 03:48:25 AM »
Good stuff.  I used it a lot when I lived in rainy country.

In fact ... it's so water-repellant ... that I could apply it to my tires and drive across the lake !  Smiley