Author Topic: Raleigh, NC: Odd aircraft flyover  (Read 5968 times)

BakerMikeRomeo

Raleigh, NC: Odd aircraft flyover
« on: December 20, 2005, 03:40:11 PM »
Hi, everybody, GunnySkox from THR checkin' in:

My dad is a big aircraft buff, so my mom brought up something interesting that happened to her at work today (she works at a daycare type place off of 540).

As she said:

15-20 aircraft, flying in groups of three (arranged in a sort of "sideways wedge" or "diamond minus one" formation, from her description)

2 or 4 engines, but definitely more than 1 (engines on the wings)

Probable T-tail

Fairly sizeable craft, probably 50-100 passangers-sized

Windows not visible

Flying at somewhat low altitude

Flying in a northerly direction, but Mom couldn't tell if it was NE or NW or anysuch

Mom didn't see any markings, described planes as "Grey-colored"

All 15-20 flew over pretty much all at once.

Did any other Raleigh...ites or anywhere where those planes might've been going see them? My mom's description of the planes is too vague to pick any particular model of aircraft out of my mind (Upon showing her some pictures of a C-130, she said the wings were somewhat pointier, not swept back, and the horizontal stabilizers were higher on the tail).

Anybody know anything about a big flight of planes from somewhere in NC or south of NC to somewheres north? Info's appreciated.

~GnSx

Preacherman

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 04:01:26 PM »
B-1 bomber?

Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 04:09:04 PM »
Jet or turboprop?

Edit:
I posted on my NATCA forums, so if any of the Controllers at Raleigh can share anything I'll let you know.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 04:30:07 PM »
Oh! Dur. Sorry, it was a prop plane, with engines on the wings.

~GnSx

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 05:08:48 PM »
Turbine or piston?
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 06:16:38 PM »
I'm told a flight of 17 C17's flew some low level routes in the RDU area.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 06:23:28 PM »
Quote from: Stickjockey
Turbine or piston?
XD *cackle* My dad asked the same thing. My mom had no idea.

It might've been the C-17s, my mom might just have been mistake.

~GnSx

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 06:31:33 PM »
My guess would be C-17s on a run to Seymour Johnson AFB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 06:36:34 PM »
Quote from: GunnySkox
Quote from: Stickjockey
Turbine or piston?
XD *cackle* My dad asked the same thing. My mom had no idea.

It might've been the C-17s, my mom might just have been mistake.

~GnSx
Well, so far that's my only input from one of the ARTCC guys out there.  Training run through the RDU area up to around Roanoke.  Another thing, they weren't very low level....not sure of the exact altitude but it was several thousand feet.  C17's are impressive beasts so I imagine they left quite the impression.
JD

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 06:57:30 PM »
Maybe it was a bunch of ATR-72 cargo conversions going to the North Pole to help Santa with his weekend deliveries.
For entertainment purposes only.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 02:15:24 AM »
Geez, Seymour Johnson, Roanoke, Raleigh...

I've lived in/near all those places. Smiley

Still have family near SJ (Goldsboro) and in Roanoke.

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 02:58:15 AM »
Most likely Cuban paratroopers coming in on commerical airlines, just like Afghanistan.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 04:27:41 AM »
Quote from: crt360
Maybe it was a bunch of ATR-72 cargo conversions going to the North Pole to help Santa with his weekend deliveries.
Wasn't it the ATR that was rolling over and crashing when it experienced icing?
JD

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 05:51:49 AM »
Military jump training?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 06:15:53 AM »
DC-3?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 11:52:05 AM »
B-1 bomber?
You'd know if one of those flew overhead.

A couple years back one flew over our little town.   There was one at an airport 30 miles away (quite unusual, BTW), and somebody did a flyover as a favor for his dad.  I saw it as it flew directly overhead.  Everything shook.  Most impressive.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 02:33:24 PM »
Jamis, yeah, the ATR-72 did have icing problems and a few crashed because of it.  I've heard that it was a problem known to Aerospatiale that they tried to cover up.  I still see them around.  It's the only plane I can think of that fits Mrs. GunnySkox description - two engine, high T-tail, 50-100 passenger size, pointy straight wings, and no side windows in cargo configuration.

edited to add:  Here is an interesting page I just found on the icing problem.  A pilot even wrote a book about it.  http://www.airlinesafety.com/letters/atr.htm
For entertainment purposes only.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 06:40:24 AM »
Maybe the V-22 Osprey squadron out of MCAS New River (either VMX-22 or VMMT-204, depending on the date). They've been doing some multiple-aircraft work recently. Had a 16-plane flyover for the CG Second MAW change of command at MCAS Cherry Point.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 07:48:27 PM »
UPDATE:

My dad showed my mom some pictures of C-17 Globemasters. She became excited and declared them to be the aircraft she saw. She took some pictures in to the daycare where she works and gave them to the kid who originally wanted to know what kind of planes they were.

Thanks a ton for your help, guys, especially JamisJockey and his "contacts" at the NATCA forum(s).

W00t!

~GnSx

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 08:33:54 PM »
Quote from: GunnySkox
UPDATE:

My dad showed my mom some pictures of C-17 Globemasters. She became excited and declared them to be the aircraft she saw. She took some pictures in to the daycare where she works and gave them to the kid who originally wanted to know what kind of planes they were.

Thanks a ton for your help, guys, especially JamisJockey and his "contacts" at the NATCA forum(s).

W00t!

~GnSx
What can I say, airplanes are my business.
Tongue
JD

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2005, 07:16:25 AM »
Here ya go. It was indeed a flight of 17 C-17's out of Charleston.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,83658,00.html

Charleston AFB Breaks C-17 Flying Record
Air Force News | December 22, 2005
CHARLESTON Air Force BASE, S.C.  - The largest formation of C-17 Globemaster IIIs from a single base took off this morning from here in a demonstration of the strategic airdrop capability of the Air Force.

Seventeen C-17s took off at about 10:20 a.m. Previously, the largest C-17 formation consisting of aircraft and aircrew from a single base was 15 aircraft from McChord Air Force Base, Wash.

The training mission was a joint endeavor embarked on by aircrew members assigned to both the 437th and the 315th Airlift Wings here.

The formation left the base en route to locations around the southeast to perform required quarterly, semiannual and end of year currency training requirements. The crews were able to practice their airdrop and aerial refueling skills during the mission.

The C-17 formation conducted low-level training in the Charleston area before taking part in a massive airdrop at North Auxiliary Air Field, S.C.

Charleston aircrews fly daily missions worldwide supporting the war on terrorism.

On average, Charlestons C-17s move more than 295 tons of cargo every day. About 45 percent of all air cargo bound for American warfighters in Iraq and Afghanistan originates here.

If fully loaded, the 17 airlifters would be able haul more than 2,890,000 pounds of cargo or more than 1,734 passengers.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2005, 07:57:28 AM »
A flight of 17 C-17s would have been quite the sight to see.  I was driving in Eastern Washington once on my way to Spokane, and saw a flight of five C-17s practicing 'nape of the earth' flying on their way from Moses Lake down to the Yakima Firing Range.  Very impressive.  

Moses Lake is essentially out in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Washington and is a former AF Strategic Air Command base, and has runways capable of handling a fully-loaded B-52.  The long runways, lack of air traffic in the area, proximity to Boeing and good weather most of the year make Moses Lake a very popular training ground for commercial jumbo jets.  JAL sends all of its 747 pilots to Moses Lake for training and qualification on the 747, and that is why you now have two good Japanese restaurants in Moses Lake.  Lufthansa does the same, but I don't know about any German restaurants.   Moses Lake is also still used by the Air Force and Navy for training from time to time.  It is a great place for airplane watching.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2005, 10:27:44 AM »
Yep, a gaggle of C-17's hanging overhead would catch your attention. And I say hanging because that's what it seems like they do, just sorta sit there with no definite impression of speed.

I'll bet I know why it was ID'd as a prop plane. The engines make a slow burring sound that's unlike anything else I've heard.