Author Topic: What is your weekly workout regimen?  (Read 12069 times)

...has left the building.

What is your weekly workout regimen?
« on: December 22, 2005, 04:45:34 PM »
Title says it all.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 04:50:44 PM »
12 ounce curls. Repeat until unable to make full curl motion.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 04:58:57 PM »
3 days a week

half hour on the treadmill at 3-4mph and level 10-20 incline.  My goal is at least 1.5 miles, 500ft climbed, and 300 calories burned.  I usually do better than those numbers, but that's my baseline.  I modify the speed and incline to simulate real terrain (use it to train for hunting).

I do 3 different ab exercises, 3x10 on bench, and 3x10 on some sort of upper back exercise (rows, lat pulldowns, etc).  The bench work takes care of the shoulders and triceps.  The upper back exercises also hit the shoulder and bicep muscles.  I hit all the major muscle groups this way.  I work out, shower, and am out the door in about 1.5hours.  

This time of year, I spend a lot of time walking around the woods, sometimes with 25-30lbs of treestand and other gear on my back.  During the warm months, I'm also walking in the evenings with my family, doing yard work, and some light cycling (pulling my daughter in her Burley trailer).

Chris

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 05:01:15 PM »
at least once a week-run, until I'm tired.

Should do every day-pushups, situps, stretch

During the summer all I do with my free time is ride my bike and skateboard. Now that it's winter that has been replaced by videogames. So I really need to get in gear.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 05:08:56 PM »
Well, if I have a PE class, climb up the big hill twice a week to that class.  Then of course whatever the class is.  Ice skating this semester, for example.

If not, nothing.  Except for skiing, and snowshoeing when I go hunting/shooting.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 05:16:25 PM »
monday: two hours of karate, and if class is canceled or ends early, 1.5-2 hours of brazilian jiujitsu.
wednesday: 1.5-2 hours of bjj.
thursday: two hours of karate.
saturday: 1.5-2 hours of bjj.

...but all classes are canceled till january.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 05:38:56 PM »
One arm curls pulling down the reloader arm.  Smiley

Actually, running 2.5 miles every day and doing push ups and sit ups.  Got my PT test in Feb and I need to get my fat ass in shape.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 04:02:46 AM »
When time and weather conditions allow, I cycle.  We're not talking a department store bike around the neighborhood.....
I ride anywhere from 20-50 miles in a typical ride.  I try and get out and race when I can.  I also mountain bike, which usually entails about an hour of pure climbing, sometimes as much as 2500' vertical.  Those rides are shorter, but a little more intense.
Lately my only excercise has been swinging a hammer for my basement project.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 12:18:27 PM »
Hmmm.  After morning coffee and Internet, it varies.  Sometimes I play Mr. Mechanic.  Sometimes I put in a few hours on the backhoe or on the grader.  Before and after, I do the usual maintenance.  All that's great for the upper body.

The thought of serious walking or of jogging/running makes my back hurt even worse than usual.

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 01:48:35 PM »
Cough.
Breathe.
Rest.
Get out of bed.
Bathe.
Breathe.
Rest.
Dress.
Cough.
Breathe.
Rest.
Leave for work.
Rest.
Breathe.
Return home after work.
Rest.
Cough.
Breathe.
Rest.

Repeat as often as I can.

I joke that 'if it weren't for coughing I'd get no exercise at all'.  It's gotten to be a whole lot more accurate lately.

Dammit.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

esheato

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 02:32:20 PM »
Running...at least 4 times a week and somewhere between 2-3 miles. I need to start lifting, but I have no idea where to start.

Ed

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2005, 09:15:40 AM »
Occational  long meanders on foot through the neighborhood, and a couple bouts of, ah, nookie.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 11:22:46 AM »
Lift three times a week usually. Try and get 40 mins of squash in somewhere.

You can't persuade me that cardio machines are worth my time. I lift because I can shut my brain down and focus on one activity for an hour or so. I like that. Cardio doesn't do that for me. Legs go round and brain wanders

I walk a lot, and in the spring I'm going to get into some sandbag training.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 01:10:36 PM »
beer up, empty down
walk to fridge briskly
return to seat

repeat until unable
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2005, 04:15:05 PM »
Quote from: Iain
Lift three times a week usually. Try and get 40 mins of squash in somewhere.

You can't persuade me that cardio machines are worth my time. I lift because I can shut my brain down and focus on one activity for an hour or so. I like that. Cardio doesn't do that for me. Legs go round and brain wanders

I walk a lot, and in the spring I'm going to get into some sandbag training.
Your heart is a muscle.  Cardio is the only way to excercise that muscle.
If your weight routine involves high rep work with little rest time, then you're doing cardio too.  If not, then you need to add cardio.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2005, 12:14:21 AM »
The squash helps. I was referring to cardio machines really. They bore me. I really do not understand sitting on a stationary bike in a gym for an hour watching telly.

Low intensity aerobic exercise is not a particularly great thing anyway. Many seem to be obsessed by it, but when I decide that I need to improve my CV condition beyond the level required for the fun level of squash that I presently play I'll be doing tabata workouts - http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-046-training
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2005, 12:58:38 AM »
I really do not understand sitting on a stationary bike in a gym for an hour watching telly.
You know, you can read a book while you're riding the exercise bike.  It's not like you have to watch the road.

I noticed that a local gym has this swing-out table thing, a power jack, and wifi so you can use your laptop while pumping the pedals.  It's for today's busy, on-the-go but going nowhere executive, I guess.

I run, two or three times a week around the campus.  I think it's about 1 1/4 miles.  I'm adding pushups, situps, and the like as I get back into it.  I have no desire to increase my muscle mass, just to get it back to peak efficiency.

That tabata workout thing looks pretty much like football practice.  Wind sprints, running a short distance and smacking the sled repeatedly, and actual double time field practice.  I'm not sure I like the idea of doing a weight exercise involving anything remotely spinal, but the theory is sound.  You get lean like that, and you'll have great explosive strength, which is good for fast-paced contact sports like football.  Squash moves fast enough that it will probably improve your game a little bit.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2005, 05:47:34 AM »
I bought a Crunch dance workout DVD yesterday to help me with my New Year's resolution.  Now if I can make my actions match my intentions.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2005, 06:21:01 AM »
Too often it's simply sitting on my fat ass in front of the computer or television.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

...has left the building.

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2005, 09:59:18 AM »
It is interesting to see how many different ways people approach fitness. My weekly workout is thus:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Hindu squats, dands, and light abs every day. I also run through a few of my Wing Chun forms or work with the swords. I used to do the neck bridge but my neck has grown too much. I don't like not being able to wear shirts that I bought for work (shirt and tie type) just a few months ago. My collar size is 17.5" and I'm only 5'5"...

Tuesday: Wing Chun, mostly a get-together for techniques but we also do some cardio such as focus mitts, bag training, light sparring, etc.

Thursday: Wing Chun, this session is all conditioning where we a 1.75 hour circuit workout consisting of exercises (sometimes brutal) that are based on Wing Chun.

Saturday or Sunday: Nothing formal, but I do beat on my wooden man or do dips/pushups/etc. throughout the days.