Author Topic: I think its time to buy a new car  (Read 3461 times)

Wedge

• friend
I think its time to buy a new car
« on: March 17, 2005, 04:37:53 AM »
Well it looks like I am most likely going to be moving to Austin, TX unless some unforseen circumstances arise.  My current ride, while reliable, is not really suited for Austin, TX summers.  I am driving a 2002 Ford Ranger XL, 4-cyl, man trans and NO AIR!  Probably the most short sighted purchase I have ever made because it has no options and is the truck that nobody wants...even me!  I can either keep it or cut my losses and trade it in on something nicer that I would be happy to keep for a long time...I am pretty much thinking of trading it in while I am still up north and buying something new.

Cost will be about 25K

I have a pretty broad list of vehicles that I am considering with one of the frontrunners being the Subaru Legacy GT (turbo 2.5, manual).  I want at least 200 hp and would prefer a manual tranny.  Four doors is a plus as well since kids are only about 2 years away.  Any other suggestions from you guys?  I don't think I want to get an SUV or another truck right now.  Thanks!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 04:58:33 AM »
200hp and kids are mutally exclusive

you are here by doomed to a Plymouth Voyager

Wink

fer giggles, take gander at the Honda Element, Ford Escape or the Chevy Equinox
their not 200hp torque laden depleaters of the Anwar,
but they are afordable, practical vehicles.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 05:10:03 AM »
Edited because I'm an idiot and can't read.

Chris

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 06:40:43 AM »
Take a look at the Toyota Camry
http://www.toyota.com/camry/index.html

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 06:46:25 AM »
Subaru's are great up here in the cold white north because of the AWD, but I don't see any reason for paying the gas mileage penalty for it down in texas.

I test drove a 2002 nissan altima and was very impressed. It's available with a ~250hp v6 and manual transmission (5 or 6 sp depending on year). That's what I'm probably going to get for my next car. The maxima is a similar sized car but a more luxurious interior, also available with the same v6 and manual trans.

kfranz

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 08:24:16 AM »
Subaru WRX STI.  More money, but more horsepower too....

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 08:38:07 AM »
Yeah, the Subarus are great, and you can easily fit a couple of car seats in side.  Safe, too, in a crash.  But you don't "need" it in Tezas, I'd imagine.  Lots of great stuff out there.  Is your truck 4wd, or 2wd?

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 09:05:22 AM »
I have thought about the STi but I didn't like the regular WRX very much.  I haven't been able to find one anywhere in the area to test out.

The current truck is 2WD.  I don't like FWD very much.  I have also considered a Lexus IS300 but it is a little pricey.  

My wifes car is a 2002 V6 Mustang so that is kinda the baseline performance I am looking for.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 10:46:20 AM »
How about an Audi S4?

...has left the building.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 11:15:47 AM »
Are you set on getting a new car?

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 01:48:15 PM »
Yeah, I am pretty much set on a new car.  I know that I can get more for my money through a used car but I bought my Ranger new and I have enjoyed 3 years of worry free ownership.  I would keep the car if it had a few niceties like, air, power windows, power locks, a V6, extended cab, etc.  It was a good car to buy at the time since I didn't have much money and between all the incentives cost me less than a used car.  I have a bit more money to work with now and want to get another new car.  The 25K isn't hard and fast but 30K is.  

Performance is important as are the creature comforts like power locks and windows.  A manual transmission is also very important to me.  I want to get this car loaded or near loaded so I don't look back 3 years from now and wish I had gotten something.  

The Legacy GT seems to be about the front runner to me.  It pulled almost as hard as the Hemi 300C that I tested (too pricey) but was more fun to drive.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.  I am probably going to hit the dealers this weekend to do some more testing so any other suggestions would be great.

jefmad

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 02:54:22 AM »
If you want a worry free ownership experience in a nice used car get a Certified Pre-Owned from the dealer. I just got a 2 year old BMW 330 off lease for $13K less than it would have cost new and the warrenty was expanded to 100,000 miles bumper to bumper.

...has left the building.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 09:58:15 AM »
You'll like the Subaru if you buy it. I'd be tempted to wait for the Audi A3 to come out since the MSRP will probably be around 25K. The Nissan 350Z and Mazda RX-8 base models are nice as well.