Author Topic: Need to buy a new lawnmower, suggestions?  (Read 3260 times)

cfabe

• friend
Need to buy a new lawnmower, suggestions?
« on: March 17, 2005, 05:42:43 PM »
Well the 10 year old lawnboy just barely made it through last summer, so I think it's time to pick up something to replace it. We have a 1/3 acre suburban lot so a standard homeowner type walk behind lawnmower is all that's really justified, as much as I'd like to get something larger. We're not always great about mowing regularly so I need something that can deal with tall grass. Self propelled of course. Reccomendations?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 06:29:04 PM »
Self propelled?  Get a couple of goats.  They'll have that grass under control in no time.  Along with the shrubbery, the flowers beds, the trees...

Sorry, I live in a Townhouse, and the HOA takes care of cutting the grass.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Pilgrim

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 06:45:39 PM »
When winter comes you can eat the goats.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 03:25:07 AM »
Get another Lawnboy.  10 years is a long time for a mower (well, down here it is anyway since we mow year-round).  I have found the key to getting through tall grass is raw horsepower.  Get something in the 6 HP range and you should be fine.

Greg

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 03:46:20 AM »
Oh man I can see already this is going to be a nightmare comparison shopping. Here's the disclaimer on lawnboy's website. I should probably just compare displacement rather than their "horsepower" numbers.

* This engine was manufactured and laboratory rated by the Tecumseh Power Company at 6.5 gross horsepower in accordance with SAE J1940. As configured to meet safety, emission, and operating requirements, the actual horsepower on this class of lawn mower will be significantly lower.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 06:49:37 AM »
Lawnboy, if you get the 2 cycle one, get it. If not interested in a Lawnboy, look for one with the Honda engine. More horsepower means cut taller grass. Here in Iowa you could cut the grass on Saturday, then it rains for next 2-3 days and by Thursday the grass can be 4-6" tall again.

BTW I bought a 2 cycle lawnboy 2 years ago to mow my old 1/2 acre yard, worked like a champ even on the grass in the leech fields, temporaily moved into town so I don't have too big of a yard to mow, but it will make short work of it.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 07:02:54 AM »
I recommend a Honda engine, whatever you get.  But what do I know, I mow my yard with a tractor and a 60" finishing mower.  Smiley

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 09:12:21 AM »
Along the lines of what charby said, I think horsepower is key. My biggest complaint about our last mower was that it bogged down in tall grass. Did some reasearch on a lawnmower forum (yep, there's a forum for everything these days) and it seems like the two most powerful engines out there are a honda 190cc and a kawasaki 180cc. The honda is rated at 6.5hp and the kawa at 6.0, but people with experience with them say they're more powerful than any of the tecumseh or briggs engines available, even the "7hp" briggs that some companies are using. So I'm going to shop for a mower with one of those engines.

Checked with consumer reports, they rate the honda-brand mowers the highest in terms of reliability and operation, toro and craftsman close seconds. Craftsman has some mowers that have that 190cc honda, so I might consider those.

onions!

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 11:22:41 AM »
You mention Craftsman.Another thing to keep in mind?I looked for a new mower for myself a few years ago.I was shopping these three:Craftsman vs Snapper vs CubCadet.I noticed that,of the three,Craftsman mowers used the most plastic.The thin plastic wheel assemblies & control levers gave me no confidence for their longevity.

I ended up rebuilding the old warhorse.YMMV.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 02:25:11 PM »
A gas powered one or just a new wife?
Career Corrections