Author Topic: Grease for a rotary hammer drill?  (Read 31437 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Grease for a rotary hammer drill?
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
My rotary hammer drill came with a small jar of grease with no markings on it.  I am trying to get through a slab of cement and am using a lot of grease.  I have used all of what it came with and need to buy more.  A search of automotive suppliers, lumber and building supply companies and a general search on the net are leaving me empty handed.

Can any of you steer me right?  It is a 1" heavy duty unit and the cement is eating me and it up.  Help?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Grease for a rotary hammer drill?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:12:56 PM »
Bosch hammer grease:

http://www.bosch.com.my/content/language1/html/6669.htm (Scroll down)

Makita:

http://cooltoolsandmore.info/makita-a90582-hammer-grease

Just search for "rotary hammer grease".

Of course, that's just grease that is specifically labeled for a rotary hammer. Since I don't have one of my own, I couldn't tell you what to use or what would be similar and would work.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:41:36 PM »
Wait, are you using it like a cutting oil? I just roto-hammer dry. Or are you just needing to lube your hammer that often? I admit I'm not sur what you mean here.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »
Wait, are you using it like a cutting oil? I just roto-hammer dry. Or are you just needing to lube your hammer that often? I admit I'm not sur what you mean here.

Mine has a grease cup built into it and uses a thick yellowish grease like tallow.  It lubes the hammer gears as well as the splined shaft.  When using it continuously as we are to drill 1" holes to weaken the slab before breaking it up, it goes through the grease quickly.

Bosch hammer grease:

http://www.bosch.com.my/content/language1/html/6669.htm (Scroll down)

Makita:

http://cooltoolsandmore.info/makita-a90582-hammer-grease

Just search for "rotary hammer grease".

Of course, that's just grease that is specifically labeled for a rotary hammer. Since I don't have one of my own, I couldn't tell you what to use or what would be similar and would work.

Those are the two I found also, but did not see a link to any retailers.  I specifically checked Auto Zone, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's and found it in 55 gallon drums at industrial supply houses, but not in a small tub to scoop into my grease cup.

Thanks for trying to help.

tincat2

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »
i've got a heavy duty bosch rotary demolition hammer(which can drill as well) and grease usage is not an issue. there is a rubber cup that slides up onto the bit to cover the innards-it's for kepping out rock dust which isn't the best lube for gears and such. mine's 20yrs old though, so tech may have advanced since that day. does seem that your drill must be getting pretty hot to liquefy the grease so much it will run out. you have to warm mine up a few minutes to break the hammer mechanism free of grease before you start on a cool day.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:56:07 PM by tincat2 »

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:47:02 PM »
i've got a heavy duty bosch rotary demolition hammer(which can drill as well) and grease usage is not an issue. there is a rubber cup that slides up onto the bit to cover the innards-it's for kepping out rock dust which isn't the best lube for gears and such. mine's 20yrs old though, so tech may have advanced since that day. does seem that your drill must be getting pretty hot to liquify the grease so much it will run out. you have to warm mine up a few minutes to break the hammer mechanism free of grease before you start on a cool day.

Yup, you got it.  50 year old Portland is dense stuff, the aggregate in it is as much a 1" diameter stone.  I don't like waiting around, so it is likely I am pushing it some.  I may just give up and drop a 1/4 stick in one of the holes.  Just kidding folks, it wouldn't take a quarter stick anyway.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 11:55:14 PM »
if you blast indoors open the windows .... don't ask

and do it when the homeowners away   heck i try to get em to leave or at least go outside before i bust up a cast iron tub
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

PTK

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
Sweet lord.... I knew I couldn't have been the only one to properly use explosives to break things.... indoors.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 12:39:17 AM »
Wow, that's quite interesting. I'll have to check our Bosch roto-hammer at work, I didn't see a cup but I may have overlooked it. Oddly enough I'm still having trouble using my left thumb after Mr Rotohammer said "Oh hai" when I was trying to break a hole for 2 1/2" pipe through a block wall.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:15:34 AM »
surprised they're not using a molybdenium grease for that job.  moly's tend to hold up better under extreme load and heat situations.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 08:28:14 AM »
Wow, that's quite interesting. I'll have to check our Bosch roto-hammer at work, I didn't see a cup but I may have overlooked it. Oddly enough I'm still having trouble using my left thumb after Mr Rotohammer said "Oh hai" when I was trying to break a hole for 2 1/2" pipe through a block wall.

i watched a guy on a jobsite lock the trigger on a big drill with a side handle that removed his teeth when the bit hung up
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »
i watched a guy on a jobsite lock the trigger on a big drill with a side handle that removed his teeth when the bit hung up

Yup, I know about that stuff.  I have been bracing the hammer with my right knee.  Well I was until the kick from the body of the tool bruised my knee so bad I can barely walk.

Went to Home Dumpit this AM and rented a large electric Hilti chisel.  It is going through the cement but produces so much dust it fills up the whole room.  Just what I need with bad lungs from the service, along with a bunch of other fun stuff.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 04:11:42 PM »
Just what I need with bad lungs from the service, along with a bunch of other fun stuff.

Sounds like you need a breathing mask.  More money, but you can get forced air ones if your lung strength is reduced.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 04:26:36 PM »
i run a hose to a shop vac  leave vac outside  nozzle on ground near the destruction  doesn't get it all but it helps  or if theres a floor drain i run water to keep dust down

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 10:30:49 PM »
Sounds like you need a breathing mask.  More money, but you can get forced air ones if your lung strength is reduced.

Did one better than that.  My son came over to help out and brought two special masks with little breather vents in them and then insisted he do most of the chiseling.  I guess letting him live all these years is paying off after all. 

For anyone who wants the inside scoop, I don't have the normal amount of cilia to sweep the crud up out of my lungs.  I breath ok unless I am getting congested from particulates or pollution.  Moving out of the Valley helped but I have been down here or in Texas since before Thanksgiving.  This last week has been high on the pollution index.  Got the chiseling done today so now its just plumbing, cement work, wiring, tile and finish carpentry to go.  I'm busier now than I was before I retired.  It's amazing how many friends you get after you retire.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 11:57:17 PM »
One of the things I hated about AZ was how much dust was always in the air. With very little rain to knock it (and pollution) down, the AQ is always terrible. I love how clean the air is in the PNW.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »
One of the things I hated about AZ was how much dust was always in the air. With very little rain to knock it (and pollution) down, the AQ is always terrible. I love how clean the air is in the PNW.

Yeah, I was down there (Valley of the Gun) last almost 10 years ago.  It was like spending a week in hell.  Brown air, asphalt, concrete, heat, and constant noise.  I can't believe people actually live in places like that  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
Sweet lord.... I knew I couldn't have been the only one to properly use explosives to break things.... indoors.  =D
I just HAVE to ask what led up to you using explosives to break stuff while indoors? What did you break? What were you using, and how much of it? =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Cramers Classics

Re: Grease for a rotary hammer drill? Bosch 11247
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 04:52:34 PM »
I had the same problem with my Bosch 11247 BoschHammer.

Pull the six screws on the top cover and drain the oil (50cc is what it should be, mine had about 30cc).
I used auto gear oil 90wt but I think any gear oil will do.

You can then unhook the connecting rod and pull the piston out.
Clean it off and cover it with Hi-temp lithium wheel bearing grease (for disc brake axles).  Usually an opaque tan color.

Then put about a heaping teaspoon of the grease inside the cylinder, smear grease around the cylinder walls.  This grease acts as  the buffer to the striker.
Reinstall piston.

Also, note your O ring gasket may have expanded as mine did.  You can carefully clean the oil it off with solvent, cut the O-ring to proper size and then re-seal the ends with a drop of CA or crazy glue.  If you leave the O-ring too long it will bind in the groove and leaks will occur.
Make sure to index the Drill/Hammer knob on the shift shaft collar when re-installing the top.
If it seems better but not strong enough, try adding a little more grease (took me 3 tries).

Hope this helps as no one else seems to mention common lubes we already have in the garage.

Cheers,
Kirb

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 06:26:46 PM »
My favorite overall grease is Lucas Red and Tacky.... I don't know if it will melt enough to flow tho... It works fine with some high pressure/temp applications in firearms...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 08:10:35 PM »
Paging Captain Thread Necro ...

Really? An eleven year old thread about grease needs to be revived?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 10:18:07 PM »
Some of the names bring back memories.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 09:12:18 AM »
Paging Captain Thread Necro ...

Really? An eleven year old thread about grease needs to be revived?

Why not?  At least it is pertinent to something useful and overall good advice, and by the way, I used the electric hammer again recently.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 08:23:51 AM »
My B&D hammer drill doesn't have any fixtures for lubricating it. Manual says it's adequately lubricated from the factory...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 11:05:52 PM »
I rub axle grease on my SDS plus bits if I am going to hammer with them.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536