Author Topic: It's not a "national ID card" it's a "worker ID card"  (Read 5761 times)

zahc

• friend
It's not a "national ID card" it's a "worker ID card"
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:24:35 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703954904575110124037066854.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

Lawmakers working to craft a new comprehensive immigration bill have settled on a way to prevent employers from hiring illegal immigrants: a national biometric identification card all American workers would eventually be required to obtain.
Mr. Schumer said employers would be able to buy a scanner to check the IDs for as much as $800. Small employers, he said, could take their applicants to a government office to like the Department of Motor Vehicles and have their hands scanned there.

Clearly, in order to solve the illegal immigration problem, we need a national ID card worker ID card so that the government can hold employers more accountable for hiring illegals. Of course, all employees of all types will be required to have the ID card. It's not a national ID card though. You only need it if you want to be employed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:29:15 AM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: It's not a "national ID card" it's a "worker ID card"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703954904575110124037066854.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

Clearly, in order to solve the illegal immigration problem, we need a national ID card worker ID card so that the government can hold employers more accountable for hiring illegals. Of course, all employees of all types will be required to have the ID card. It's not a national ID card though. You only need it if you want to be employed.

This will end well, I'm sure...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
and this is bad why?

Pretty much everyone already has a Drivers License or some sort of state issued ID.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »
This sort of thing is foolish and redundant, with eVerify up & running.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
and this is bad why?

Pretty much everyone already has a Drivers License or some sort of state issued ID.

Well,what good is a big national program without means of enforcement? Godwin be damned, you can't very well force this on everyone who wants a job without saying  Ze papers please!  If you doubt that a slippery slope can exist, how about this quote from the article.

Mr. Graham says he respects those concerns but disagrees. "We've all got Social Security cards," he said. "They're just easily tampered with. Make them tamper-proof. That's all I'm saying."

That's our Republican defender of limited government, apparently completely oblivious to the fact that politicians before him swore up and down that SS would never be ID. Just read a great book about Uzbekistan, can you imagine having to have internal travel papers if you were traveling outside your home state? Or the corruption that can come with enforcement of that? People there think that is normal.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
and this is bad why?

So?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:06:29 PM »
First they work, then they vote.  It's a pretty simple plan.

We have mlllions unemployed, citizens and legal residents, but still the pressure for importing foreign help rolls on.

The only path they need is the path out of here.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:41:05 PM »
and this is bad why?

Yep.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »
Well,what good is a big national program without means of enforcement? Godwin be damned, you can't very well force this on everyone who wants a job without saying  Ze papers please!  If you doubt that a slippery slope can exist, how about this quote from the article.

When is the last time you started a new job?

I had to show my SS Card and my drivers license to verify that I was legal to work in the US. (I was born here and only have lived in the US)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:13:03 PM »
I heard something about the card having biometric info (fingerprint) to verify the cardholders identity. So, every man, woman and child in the US has to be fingerprinted? Why not DNA? Not a big leap at all. Graham says the card will be used "only" for verifying citizenship yeaheffingright. Kinda like the SSAN card could be used "only" for social security purposes and not as identification.

Just because we are already getting screwed around by the gov doesn't mean we should accept every additional stupid idea they come up with, because we "are already getting screwed around".  =|
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
When is the last time you started a new job?

I had to show my SS Card and my drivers license to verify that I was legal to work in the US. (I was born here and only have lived in the US)

So your argument is that the camel's nose is already under the tent, he looks like a nice bloke, so let's have him in for a spot of tea? 

Oh, I already have a biometric ID card, US military. Of course, if I don't like that I can just not re-enlist. Tried to apply for a job recently and that card(with SSN on it) and my driver's license were insufficient to prove that I was who I was, but bring my stupid little Social Security card and that somehow makes it better?

Do things the old tedious way. Notarized birth certificate, states issue their own driver's license, if you can't produce documentation that you were born here, green card, or naturalization then go away. The strong-arm tactic of get this biometric ID card or don't work is something no good will come of.
AKA Navy Joe   

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »
I heard something about the card having biometric info (fingerprint) to verify the cardholders identity. So, every man, woman and child in the US has to be fingerprinted? Why not DNA? Not a big leap at all. Graham says the card will be used "only" for verifying citizenship yeaheffingright. Kinda like the SSAN card could be used "only" for social security purposes and not as identification.

Just because we are already getting screwed around by the gov doesn't mean we should accept every additional stupid idea they come up with, because we "are already getting screwed around".  =|

And if the Dems weren't so dependent on dead voters, then I could easily see them proposing for you to have insert your National "Workers" card into the slot on the voting machine. You know, to confirm you are eligible to vote...

and this is bad why?

The fact that our current crop of politicians came up with it and the federal government wants to implement it should tell you WHY it's a bad idea. Have you ever seen them embrace a good idea?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
Capt. Vasili Borodin: I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?
Captain Ramius: I suppose.
Capt. Vasili Borodin: No papers?
Captain Ramius: No papers, state to state.

Well, it was nice while it lasted ....
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 10:20:37 PM »
Capt. Vasili Borodin: I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?
Captain Ramius: I suppose.
Capt. Vasili Borodin: No papers?
Captain Ramius: No papers, state to state.

Well, it was nice while it lasted ....

Remember that Borodin was killed before the movie ended........
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
There is no more potent weapon in the .gov arsenal than the database.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 10:48:56 PM »
Nothing good will come of this.   It will become a national ID card from the moment it is implemented.  You will be required to carry it with you at all times.  You will need it to get a job.  You will need it to vote.  You will need to carry it to perform the myriad other mundane tasks in your life that you now do with your drivers license.  And eventually you will need it to travel.
Nothing good will come of this.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 11:39:24 PM »
Do things the old tedious way. Notarized birth certificate, states issue their own driver's license, if you can't produce documentation that you were born here, green card, or naturalization then go away.

Perhaps this worker ID will show that you have already taken that step?

You need a passport to travel to other countries and to get back in the US I don't see people pitching a fit about that.

In a nut shell I think people are looking way too deep into this much like the census thread.  [tinfoil]

Uranus is a gas giant.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 12:51:21 AM »
In a nut shell I think people are looking way too deep into this much like the census thread.  [tinfoil]

I don't think it's possible to look too deep into anything the government does. I'm sure it is going to guaranty plenty of new Union (there are more union employees in gov jobs than in the private sector) jobs too.

We may be on the road to H3ll already, but I'm going to do my d@mndest not to make it any easier for the stinking Progressives in both parties.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 08:38:18 AM »
You need a passport to travel to other countries and to get back in the US I don't see people pitching a fit about that.

Because:

A. Most people in the US, in my experience, don't travel that much.

B. People are used to passports. Last time there was real passport-free travel it was before WW1.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »
Small employers, he said, could take their applicants to a government office to like the Department of Motor Vehicles and have their hands scanned there.
We may be on the road to H3ll already,

I may be a bit old-fashioned and not as intellekshually progressive as others, but I remember when suggestions like this would prompt the following quote before the thread got quite this far:

He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

taurusowner

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 10:04:27 AM »
I'm with you Doggy Daddy.  While part of me loves the idea of all this new technology and the cool and efficient stuff that is on the horizon, another part of me knows that this is all just brining us closer to the end.  It is stunning how well biometrics fit the Mark of the Beast.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »
What good is any ID program when there is no enforcement?  Some states give drivers licenses to illegals now so that won't work.  The SS card does not have any photo so anyone can use anybody elses card.  The FRID chip can be monitored on every street corner so the government can follow your daily activies....On, I forgot about Obama's brown shirts.  They will probably do the enforcement......chris3

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »
What good is any ID program when there is no enforcement?  Some states give drivers licenses to illegals now so that won't work.  The SS card does not have any photo so anyone can use anybody elses card.  The FRID chip can be monitored on every street corner so the government can follow your daily activies....On, I forgot about Obama's brown shirts.  They will probably do the enforcement......chris3

SS has no picture, because it was never supposed to be used as ID. The card was strictly supposed to be used to collect benefits. That should tell you something about trusting government to keep it's promises. Particularly with person specific data.
Hi.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 03:16:16 PM »
Oh, I already have a biometric ID card, US military. Of course, if I don't like that I can just not re-enlist. Tried to apply for a job recently and that card(with SSN on it) and my driver's license were insufficient to prove that I was who I was, but bring my stupid little Social Security card and that somehow makes it better?

Either the DL or military ID will prove who you are but as I-9 list B items, they must be accompanied by a list C (employment authorization) item.  Use only a list A item to avoid that.  A passport is pretty much the only list A item that most folks can get.

See page 5: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 03:29:21 PM »
Yeah, I am quite familiar with the Idiot-9 form now. I just find it hilarious that a 20 year old blue piece of paper with a number poked on it by a dot matrix printer proves who I am better than an ID card with my thumbprint electronically encoded on it. That and the fact that it is damned irritating to serve 15 years in your country's military and be treated like a suspect anyway.
AKA Navy Joe