Author Topic: Medicine, stem cells, the FDA, and the Commerce Clause  (Read 8302 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Medicine, stem cells, the FDA, and the Commerce Clause
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 01:03:06 PM »
True.

Clone rights now!  Clone rights now!

Hey, my vat, my choice!

If'n I wanna slaughter them for long pork, that's my deal.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 01:11:14 PM »
Hey, my vat, my choice!

Mmmm...vat-grown human flesh... =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Hey, my vat, my choice!

Not far off.  Folks have been thinking about trying to clone beef, poultry, etc.  Cheaper, potentially healthier, etc once the science works out.

PETA hates it, naturally.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 04:18:59 PM »
not to start an argument but, how about, "once it can live outside the womb, it's a human being." ? [popcorn]

Once it can live outside... under what conditions?  In a petri dish?  In a (not yet invented) artificial womb?  In a NICU?

If a legal guardian has the right to reject medical care due to religious objections, does that include the right to forbid a hospital from placing a newborn in a NICU?  IOW, are you willing to violate someone else's freedom of religion in order to satisfy your moral concept that everything that can be done must be done to bring a child into the world once it reaches 5-6 months, or else it's murder?

What happens when artificial wombs exist?  The concept that "this foetus might survive outside the womb with some weeks/months of life support, so abortion is murder" becomes "this embryo can grow to viability in vitro so discarding it is murder" and then "this egg and sperm from an egg and sperm bank can be combined and grow to viability, so discarding any gamete is half murder, too."

Posit: the way each of us views conception and abortion depends a lot on whether we view conception as something magical/soul-conferring or as just another biological process.  And if it is magical/soul-conferring, then that also presumes in some way that non-human animal conception isn't magical/soul-conferring, or if there is a soul involved, it's not the same grade of soul that humans get at conception.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »
i was going for, "laying on a bed breathing on it's own, in open air". :facepalm:

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »
i was going for, "laying on a bed breathing on it's own, in open air". :facepalm:

You need to be more specific than that, unless you are only advocating standard protection for healthy infants.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 06:16:51 PM »
nah, just talking. surely no one is going to support killing delivered babes. [tinfoil]

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 07:04:58 PM »
nah, just talking. surely no one is going to support killing delivered babes. [tinfoil]

Does refusing to put them in a NICU count as killing them?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 10:23:20 PM »
not to me, but then i'm getting close to the refusing all treatment stage myself. [tinfoil]