Author Topic: What does "Diaspora" mean? Literally?  (Read 2170 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
What does "Diaspora" mean? Literally?
« on: March 18, 2005, 05:56:50 PM »
The only time I'd ever heard this word before was in reference to Jews who had been forcibly removed to different countries after the Babylonian takover of Israel circa 600 BC. Now I see it used in a contemporary context. Is it simply a latin term used commonly or are these folks drawing a specific connection between themselves and the Jews of the more commonly known "diaspora"?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4360757.stm

More than three million Zimbabweans living abroad will not be able to vote in the 31 March parliamentary poll, Zimbabwe's Supreme Court has ruled

It dismissed a challenge by seven UK-based Zimbabweans to a law barring citizens abroad from voting.

"This application has no merit," said Chief Justice Godfrey Chidyausiku, a former government minister.

Critics of the law say the ruling Zanu-PF party fears that Zimbabweans abroad would vote for the opposition.

Correspondents say Zimbabweans are leaving in increasing numbers because of an economic and political crisis.

'Far-fetched'

Justice Chidyausiku said the full reasons for the judgement would be given later.
The seven, who call themselves the Diaspora Vote Action Group, had argued in the court that they were being "punished" for leaving.

"The denial of citizens resident in a foreign country to vote is not reasonably justifiable in a democratic society," they said in papers filed by their lawyer...
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 06:08:47 PM »
diaspora A dispersion of an originally homogeneous entity, such as a language or culture: “the diaspora of English into several mutually incomprehensible languages” (Randolph Quirk).

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=diaspora

Usually used when talking about the scattering of the Jewish people that occured after the Roman conquest of Judea IIRC.  Also used in the Notebooks of Lazarus Long.

"An authentic buck pacifist has rarely been seen off Earth, and it is doubtful that any have survived the trouble there... regrettable, as the had the biggest mouths and smallest brains of any of the primates. The small-mouthed variety of anarchist has spread through the Galaxy at the very wave front of the Diaspora; there is no need to protect them. But they often shoot back."
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 12:28:19 AM »
Thanks for reminding me that there were multiple Jewish "Diasporas" Sindawe. I knew that. I really did. I just had forgotten it at that exact moment Wink In fact the Roman Diaspora you mentioned is the more commonly referenced one that I had heard called that. Mixing my history lessons up Smiley
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"