Author Topic: Bias intimidation crime  (Read 6371 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Bias intimidation crime
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:46:31 PM »
WTF?  Over.

Bias crime.  Bias intimidation crime??  When did bad taste, bad prank become a crime?  I'm at a loss for words for; bias intimidation crime.

'All black people' told to leave NJ Wal-Mart

Staff Reporter | Posted March 18, 2010 11:39 AM
Imagine this. You're shopping at your neighborhood Wal-Mart store Sunday afternoon when you hear a voice on the P.A. system.
"Attention Wal-Mart customers: All black people leave the store now."

Sounds like a scene from apartheid South Africa or the pre-civil rights era segregated south. But it's actually what happened last Sunday at the Turnersville, New Jersey, Wal-Mart Supercenter Store.

Blacks complained to management, who in turn contacted the local police department in Washington Township. Police then opened an investigation with the county prosecutor's office. "The incident is being investigated by both law enforcement agencies as a suspected bias intimidation crime," officials told the press.

And the corporate office of Wal-Mart wasn't happy about the story or the negative publicity either. Wal-Mart is "just as appalled by this as anyone," a spokesman said. The company also described the incident as "unacceptable to us and to our customers" and said it was "reviewing our systems to prevent this from happening in the future.:

Now two black South Jersey women are boycotting Wal-Mart, while the company says they're still trying to figure out who made the announcement.

Patricia Covington and Shelia Ellington told reporters they're too upset to shop at the store again. "In 2010, I want to know why such statements are being made because it flies in the face of what we teach them at home, and that's tolerance for people," Ellington told the press.

Following the incident, a public apology was made Sunday evening on the same public address system.

The 24-hour superstore reportedly employees about 700 workers, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

James E. Harris, president of the New Jersey NAACP Conference told reporters that the incident underscores the need for more racial reconciliation. "Whether it was a prank or whether it was serious, the level of insensitivity is apparent and is a reminder there's still a need for people to work toward decency and equality," he said.

Articles written by a Staff Reporter are unsigned reports from a member of the staff.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: Bias intimidation crime
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
OMG. Get the Hell over it, people. Walmart is investigating, the police are investigating(though I don't see any reason they should be), and these two women are so upset they won't go back? Anyone can pick up the phone, and make an intercom announcement. It was likely some 15 year old ex employee trying to be funny.
Hi.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »
I can't believe the police are investigating this as a crime. What crime?  Where was there a crime?  Other that tender little feelings being hurt. And this made CNN. Good Fn grief.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 02:31:23 PM »
Signs of things to come [tinfoil].
Next it iwll be pre-crime and thought police.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:07:44 PM »
Signs of things to come [tinfoil].
Next it iwll be pre-crime and thought police.

It already is.  Possession with intent to distribute: Precrime
Possession of burglary tools:  precrime
Hate crimes:  thought police.
Cyberbullying: thought police.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
Some were saying that they used the microphone in the manager's office, but I was thinking you could do it from any of those store phones throughout the store.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
Some were saying that they used the microphone in the manager's office, but I was thinking you could do it from any of those store phones throughout the store.

Yes, you can. I've done it before, when I can't find an employee.
Hi.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »
I remember some years back when looking for help at the WalMart sporting goods counter, another customer picked up the phone and made an announcement over the PA system asking that a manager report to sporting goods. I'd guess there's a code you can key into the phone to do so.

Edited to add: I'm having a hard time coming up with an actual crime here; boorish behavior that hurts nothing but feelings hasn't been criminalized yet, has it?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:25:12 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
I remember some years back when looking for help at the WalMart sporting goods counter, another customer picked up the phone and made an announcement over the PA system asking that a manager report to sporting goods. I'd guess there's a code you can key into the phone to do so.

I cannot confirm nor deny that intercom instructions are  right on the phones in many a walmart.   >:D

This story makes me  go :facepalm:  WalMart should banish the offender.  The DA that wants to press charges should be kicked in the dangly bits.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:13:14 PM »
I can't believe the police are investigating this as a crime. What crime?  Where was there a crime? 

Could it have been a crime against the store, given that their personal property was misappropriated to hurt their business? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

Could it have been a crime against the store, given that their personal property was misappropriated to hurt their business? 

I was trying to think of what actual sort of crime could be applied in this case. Best I could come up with is malicious mischief or perhaps a greatly stretched definition of trespassing. Anyone else do any better?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:14 AM »
am i just out of it, or have i seen wireless setups for the manager(s?) to use the intercom in some walmarts?  ??? i could have sworn i have(had?) [tinfoil]

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 02:31:51 AM »
I don't think so. My wife used to be an associate mgr with WM. The wireless radios are walkie-talkies and are used as such.

Yet any phone at a point of sale can intercom page.

I still cannot come up with a crime here

Abraham Lincoln

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 04:36:33 AM »
Yes, you can. I've done it before, when I can't find an employee.

What do you have against black people? Did the police investigate?

=D
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 08:33:45 AM »

Well. The idiocy continues. An arrest ( for what crime is not listed) was made in this "bias incident". 

http://foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=215708.proteus.fma

Arrest in Walmart 'All Black People' Case
Mar 20, 2010 8:58 AM EDT
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. - Police say they have made an arrest in the case of a racial comment being made over the public-address system at a Walmart store in southern New Jersey.

The Washington Township Police Department said on its Web site early Saturday that an arrest has been made in a "bias incident" at the retail store. The posting says the police and Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office will announce the arrest at a midday news conference.

Washington Township Police declined to comment early Saturday.

A male voice came over the Walmart public address system Sunday evening and calmly announced: "Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now." The announcement provoked an immediate apology from the store manager.

Officials for Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc., said the announcement was "unacceptable."

Abraham Lincoln

sanglant

• friend
hope it's late enough not to kill the thread, i tried to wait. :D
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 04:17:45 PM »
hmm, jackson or sharpton trying to stir up some bidness? =D arrested for inciting a riot? [popcorn]

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »
16 year old kid is the villain.  Crucify him, crucify him, crucify him...... :facepalm:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

taurusowner

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »
Well, we opened the door to this with supposed "hate crimes".  The moment we allowed the prosecution of crimes to go forward based on someone's emotions, we set this kind of thing in motion.  And it will only get worse.  With the wrong people in charge, such as the ones running the country now, look forward to having all sorts of speech and even thought regulated under the guise of "protecting diversity" and "zero tolerance for hate".

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »
What crime?  (He didn't even say "niggers".)  I can't believe anyone was actually intimidated by a teenage voice saying "black people"  :facepalm:  I'm not sure who needs to grow up more.
"It's good, though..."

Inor

• Just this guy
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 12:01:41 AM »
I cannot go to Walmart anymore either.  I am "too upset" to shop there after going to the web site: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com.  That is far more disturbing than anything the kid said, and they have pictures to prove it!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 11:13:57 PM »
I've picked up a phone at the walmart sporting goods counter my self to get a manager to come over
This was after I had to ask 3 other people to get a manager.

Instructions
Pick up phone
Press button labeled page
speak
hang up phone
Done

I also gotten bitched at for driving a forklift at home depot.
Same thing asked 3 people to get a bundle of plywood off the top shelf, did it my self.
And yes I carry common equipment keys with me at all times. (preparedness at its finest)
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 06:38:30 AM »
It's funny that you mention that, as the key for our Reach Truck also works in the Cardboard Compactor.

edit - back on topic, I really don't know why the Police can't just give the kid a slap on the wrist, a verbal caution, and then that Walmart can ban him from the store if they see fit. A 16 year old kid being stupid and verbally offensive is not worth all this legal hassle.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:35:58 AM by Cromlech »
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 08:29:36 AM »
. . . An arrest ( for what crime is not listed) was made . . .
Since there was an arrest, are there any updates on what criminal offense was committed?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 09:28:19 AM »
The suspect was arrested Friday in Atlantic County on bias intimidation and harassment charges, police said in a statement Saturday. He is in custody of his parents, police said

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/20/walmart.racial.remark/index.html   

Abraham Lincoln

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »
So what would be the uproar if he had asked all blonde people to leave the store?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin