Author Topic: Someone brought in Krispy Kremes...  (Read 6358 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Someone brought in Krispy Kremes...
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 12:22:33 PM »
If you're ever in Iowa, stop by a Casey's convenience store and try some of their donuts. Much better than a Krispy Kreme.

Yeah Mike after I read your excited post, I put Homer and the free donuts together, I'm a little slow on the humor today trying to prepare for a afternoon and evening's worth of meetings
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 12:26:36 PM »
Krispy Kreme Sundae

-Take two Krispy Kremes (warm)
-Place one scoop vanilla, raspberry, or strawberry ice cream in center of each donut
-Top liberally with butterscotch, caramel, or chocolate sauce (heck, use all three!!)
-Sprinkle with crushed Apple Jacks cereal
-Garnish with sliced banana
Diabetic coma on a plate there, Brad.

Krispy Kreme bad? Yesterday someone brought in a six of Cinnabon. That sh- stuff's just evil.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 12:32:31 PM »
Quote from: Stickjockey
Hey, eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow you may diet. Tongue

Krispy Kreme bad? Yesterday someone brought in a six of Cinnabon. That sh- stuff's just evil.
Agreed.

Seriously, I'll have to try Brad's recipe.
Krispy Kremes are pretty good.
Andy

...has left the building.

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 12:57:16 PM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Dan, I thought meth made one skinny?Cheesy
When you have no teeth, you have to eat something! Wink

crt360

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 01:04:24 PM »
I've never had a bad doughnut.

Maybe I don't eat them often enough to get a bad one.

Krispy Kreme, Jack & Jill, Shipley's, H.E.B. and any ma/pa bakery can make them tasty enough for me.

Krispy Kremes don't really seem like doughnuts.  They're more like little round cakes.  They're much more filling, too.

I'm probably too lazy to actually go somewhere just to buy a doughnut, so I only get them when they magically appear in the office (rare).
For entertainment purposes only.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2006, 01:46:38 PM »
Krispy Kremes are like Coors beer.  When Coors was not sold in the midwest, lo, those many years ago, one would kill for a Coors.  When folks went out west their cars groaned under the weight of the cases of Coors coming back.  It really, really tasted good.  Now you can buy Coors anywhere and I don't.  Tastes like marmot piss.

Krispy Kremes are like that.  When you couldn't get 'em they tasted like heaven.  Now they're everywhere and, frankly, Meijer Thrifty Acres cooks their faux Krispy Kreme lookalike and they taste the same or better, imho.

The best donuts I ever had were made by a little bakery up the street from where I grew up as kid, Delight Bakery.  I peddled the morning paper at about 4 AM and Delight was dropping off their donuts (chocolate covered heaven) on the porches of the little mom and pop restaurants and grocery stores on my route about that time.  I'd hook a few from the steaming warm boxes early in my route and pay off the merchant that was opening up when I was heading home after peddling my papers.  MMMMMMMM.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 02:43:18 PM »
Fresh from the store, Krispy Kremes are probably the best confection available here in the States.

Old, stale Krispy Kremes from the gas station or grocery store are unimpressive.  They hafta come from the store, hot off the machine, to be worth eating.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 03:50:05 PM »
As funny as this sounds, in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro we don't have many doughnut shops anymore. Seriously. I don't know why they all closed over the last 10-15 years. How did this happen? Krispy Kreme came into the cities five years ago and people went nuts. Doughnut shops were back! Just recently they announced some will close due to company problems. I think they had some financial/legal problems. I liked their doughnuts. They tasted just as good as the Krispy Kremes out east. They were not as good as the small town bakery doughnuts, but I think Krispy Kreme doughnuts are pretty good.

By the way, my favorite Krispy Kreme was the glazed chocolate doughnut. Now I'm kinda hungry for one...

Iain

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »
So Krispy Kreme's are ordinary donuts? There's no 'krispy' and there's no 'kreme'? If that is the case I am a little disappointed.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

auschip

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 07:46:09 AM »
While I like Krispy Kreme, I generally prefer Kolaches.  Give me a sausage, jalapeno, & cheese any day over a doughnut.  Second to that, would be a creamcheese kolache.  Good stuff!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 07:47:38 AM »
"So Krispy Kreme's are ordinary donuts? There's no 'krispy' and there's no 'kreme'? If that is the case I am a little disappointed."

Krispy Kreme is the name of a donut maker that produces a WIDE variety of donuts.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 07:50:27 AM »
Kolaches?  WTF is that, sounds yummy if its got jalapenos in it

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 08:29:40 AM »
grampster, that brings back some memories. Had one of those myself when I was a yute.

It was a couple of neighborhoods over from where I lived and the mom and pop donut place was on the way back. Place was called honey creme. They added/substituted honey for the sugar in the glaze. Man those were good. May have to roll through the old neighborhood in the morning.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 08:39:03 AM »
I went to our local shop a few weeks ago and to my dismay, I found it was closed.  I almost cried.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 08:46:58 AM »
Quote from: Stickjockey

I always thought that that diabetic coma was caused by a Paczek or Paczki (plural, pronounced Poonch-key), on Fat Tuesday, but I grew up in the Detroit area........

Ever see a donut with the caloric equivalent of a loaded Whopper ??

PS - Stay away from the prune filled ones  shocked
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Mongo

• http://mongomutter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2006, 09:40:06 AM »
Took the girl to the grocery store Sunday, and she had to get a dozen.

Since a went to my doctor and my low blood pressure of two years ago is now medium blood pressure, I've decided to watch my weight...

She brought home the box to share with a friend who had stayed overnight and the box stayed on the counter ALL DAY LONG...

I didn't have a one, and Monday morning found that the last two had been knocked to the floor and nibbled on by one of our cats.... Serves the kid right...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2006, 09:58:17 AM »
PS - Stay away from the prune filled ones
Good thing I wasn't eating or  drinking anything when I read that!

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2006, 10:07:09 AM »
I'm not kiddin' either.

Here some Paczki info: http://home.comcast.net/~osoono/ethnicdoughs/paczki/paczki.htm

Here's a recipe: http://acweb.colum.edu/users/agunkel/homepage/easter/paczrec.html

INGREDIENTS:
3 packages active dry yeast
1.5 ounces rum
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1 cup melted butter
6 cups flour
prune filling or cherry jam
(jams w/o added sugar)
1 cup milk, scalded & cooled
oil for deep frying
2 teaspoons salt
powdered sugar for sprinkling
20 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2006, 11:22:34 AM »
the HOT light is on

i know it

that reminds me
i have a dozen KK valentines i picked up with my last dozen

each one is good for a free donut

mmmmmmmmm
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2006, 02:01:50 PM »
Quote from: auschip
While I like Krispy Kreme, I generally prefer Kolaches.  Give me a sausage, jalapeno, & cheese any day over a doughnut.  Second to that, would be a creamcheese kolache.  Good stuff!
Me, too.  A good kolache beats a donut anyday.  My grandma made excellent kolaches.

charby, it's a little square pastry with an open pocket (like a crater) smushed down in the center that is filled with a variety of tasty things and then baked.  You can put sausage, jalapeno & cheese, or fruit preserves (strawberry, cherry, apricot, etc.) or poppyseeds (quite tasty) or pretty much anything else you like in them.  The sweet ones usually have a combination of things like cream cheese & cherry in the hole with a light sugary glaze on top.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2006, 08:06:09 AM »
Sacramento is reported to be one of America's donut capitals.  I believe it!  Plus, there's this little Italian bakery on C and 17th...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2006, 11:30:07 AM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
Fresh from the store, Krispy Kremes are probably the best confection available here in the States.
No doubt.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2006, 11:49:02 AM »
I always thought that that diabetic coma was caused by a Paczek or Paczki (plural, pronounced Poonch-key), on Fat Tuesday, but I grew up in the Detroit area........
Considering my pancreas quit working not long after Fat Tuesday, I'm not sure it wasn't what caused it :/
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2006, 12:23:41 PM »
A good kolache...
Awfully fancy word for a dough-wrapped weenie. 'Round these here parts we call 'em pigs-in-a-blanket.

Dang northerners and their fancy-pants speakin'. Why don't they just talk English?

Cheesy

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2006, 01:09:45 PM »
I thought a dough-wrapped weenie was a "pig-in-a-blanket" anywhere.