Author Topic: The Offical 2005 Tax Thread  (Read 9543 times)

...has left the building.

The Offical 2005 Tax Thread
« on: March 10, 2006, 01:10:28 PM »
$%!@ TAXES!
$%!@ TAXES!
$%!@ TAXES!

I just talked with my accountant and my tax "return" will be 1/5 of what it was last year. And I don't see this situation really letting up anytime soon: http://www.cato.org/pubs/tbb/tbb-0510-26.pdf
Now where the hell is my Sex Pistols' album!?

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 03:19:29 PM »
I for one would like to Thank the IRS for all they do and their commitment to their job.  
I couldn't be happier paying all my taxes without question, or deductions. I support their efforts to relinquish me of the burden of simple yet overly complex mathematical equations and calculations concerning my financial matters.  I feel more secure knowing I have their expert and detail oriented assistance to resolve any question I might have had as to the disbursement of my funds.  

May the glory that the IRS embodies be everlasting and stand strong. Hip hip

May I spend the rest of my very existence is constant and consistent servitude to their prevailing plan. Hip hip

May we all enjoy an arcadian life that only the IRS of today and tomorrow can impart. Horay and amen
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:04:11 AM »
Well, at least the IRS does not misplace your tax money that you have paid!:D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 04:30:32 AM »
They did mine. Wasn't their fault, was my tax preparer's who put the wrong account number on the e-file direct deposit dealie, but for a week or so, several of my dollars were floating around the banking system and trying to get a live person at the IRS was..well, not fun.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 04:47:59 AM »
I just like that they take money out of my paycheck every two weeks to relieve me of the responsibility of setting aside what I need to pay them at the end of the year. I think it's very fair thatin return they get to use all my money interest free all year. Actually, they're so nice that sometimes they give me a "refund" on the money I loaned them!

The IRS is just like Santa Claus when you really think about it....
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

matis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 05:15:34 AM »
"The IRS is just like Santa Claus when you really think about it...."

In what way, BenW?  Do you doubt that the IRS actually exists?  Just look at the hole in your wallet.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 05:31:15 AM »
I ended up ok, got a big federal return because I paid for my last semester of out-of-state college myself.  My CA refund is not too big, better than nothing, and of couse my state of residency NV doesn't pay income taxes.  So life's pretty good!

auschip

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »
What is this tax "Return" that you speak of?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 07:52:11 AM »
In what way, BenW?
Well  anyways, *I* thought my post was dripping with sarcasm... Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 10:43:46 AM »
I just did the first run of my tax calculations for 2005.

$*#@!#  *&*^$!#  ^%$*?#@

I get refunds from both Fed and State.  *&@#!  I HATE giving my governments free use of MY money!

Sigh...  At least the refunds are relatively small, and will pay a good chunk of next quarters health insurance premium.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 11:35:35 AM »
My business deductions help a little on my income tax. Self-employment tax is a whole other story...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »
Stupid TurboTax has trouble recognizing APO addresses, so I have to mail in my MN taxes form.  But my federal tax form is on it's way via the ether.

And federal active duty pay is NON-TAXABLE in Minnesota.  Wonderful.  I love it.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 01:31:38 PM »
I owe around $1200 due to HR's incompetence when I changed jobs.  

But I can only be mad at myself, I knew it was coming but didn't manage to save up for it.
Experiment with a chemist!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 03:10:34 PM »
If you consider your taxes as a charitable contribution, why couldn't you just deduct it next year?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

matis

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 07:49:47 AM »
Quote from: BenW
In what way, BenW?
Well  anyways, *I* thought my post was dripping with sarcasm... Smiley
Sorry, BenW, I took you seriously.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
Last year I went the Turbo Tax route.

Doing my own taxes was the first time that I'd ever gotten heartburn.

Growing up sucks.

This year I just hired an accountant.  Still going to pay, though.

So, yay for capital gains.  That's right.  Since I live beneath my means and invest money wisely, I'm going to get punished.

In a perfect world, working as a tax collector would cause cancer.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 04:48:28 PM »
This year my taxes took me twenty minutes, one job, no deductions.  Unfortunately I had to cut a fat check to the state and federal governments for underwithholding

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 12:47:16 PM »
I owed the Feds a little, and got a little back from the state, so it's about a wash.

My business owed fed and state about $2000. I usually shoot for zero, so I was unpleasantly surprised.