Author Topic: Got my form letter...  (Read 10173 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Got my form letter...
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
How many buy the "sincerely" at the end?  ;/

You can tell he's trying his best to walk the fine line.  ;)

In case you don't know, he's officially a lame duck now.

Dear Mr. 280:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concern about the tragic event that unfolded in Tucson, Arizona, on January 8, 2011. I appreciate your concerns, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

First and foremost, my thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of the fallen and with all those injured on that horrific day. Like all Americans, I have been profoundly affected by this senseless display of violence. Our nation is one that values peace, civility, and the rule of law. We must proceed in a thoughtful and committed manner to consider what actions can, and should, be taken to safeguard our nation in the future from such violent attacks.

As you know, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) was holding a constituent event at a local supermarket in Tucson when the attack took place. The tragic event resulted in the death of six people and injured 13 others. A full federal investigation has been launched by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), U.S. Marshals Service, and the U.S. Capitol Police. In addition to the federal investigation taking place, a parallel local investigation led by the Pima County Sheriff's Department is also underway.

Going forward, I believe we should support a sensible approach to gun laws that protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans, while also keeping criminals and other dangerous people from buying firearms. Gaps in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) must be addressed. Steps such as ensuring sufficient funding for the NICS must be one of many priorities for this Congress. In the wake of this tragedy, we must work to make certain that criminals, drug abusers, and mentally ill individuals are prevented from buying guns and, thereby, putting the public at risk.

The Second Amendment is one of our fundamental civil liberties. Throughout my career in public service, I have been a strong advocate for this constitutional right. At the same time, however, we must strike an appropriate and sensible balance to protect public safety within constitutionally permissible limits.

Thank you again for sharing your views and concerns with me. I hope you will continue to visit http://lieberman.senate.gov for updated news about my work on behalf of Connecticut and the nation. Please contact me if you have any additional questions or comments about our work in Congress.

Sincerely,

Joseph I. Lieberman
UNITED STATES SENATOR
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Got my form letter...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:53:40 PM »
we must strike an appropriate and sensible balance to protect public safety within constitutionally permissible limits.

HMM,  That statement and "shall not be infringed" just doesnt jive...A democrat at heart..
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
Talk about your paradox. I'd love if there was some magic means of preventing guns from falling into the hands of those who would misuse them without infringing on the rights of those who wouldn't. The very nature of man makes it impossible. Even if they took away every possible modern weapon known to man today pretty soon some guy would tie a rock to a stick and wock his neighbor in the head with it. You'd like to think we've evolved past that but, oh well.  =|

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 02:17:29 PM »
Throughout my career in public service, I have been a strong advocate for this constitutional right.
Yeah, like when he and his sidekick John McCain sponsored legislation to close the "gunshow loophole".
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »
397 weasel words, including his name.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
I've often wondered how he Dodd and Samuel Colt would have gotten along. And now there's Blumenthal and if we really suck the bag we'll have Bysiewicz in there and you can tell by just looking at her not a lot is going on up there so she's going to just follow the pack.  ;/

And who the hell know's where McMahon is at. Unless you need some steroids to bulk up that is. That she can get you.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
Should I write him back and ask him exactly which part of "shall not infringe" he fails to understand?  =D

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
Should I write him back and ask him exactly which part of "shall not infringe" he fails to understand?  =D

Why not?  The answer might be of entertainment value.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 03:01:29 PM »
I will. Not right now though,,,later. Work is done, including blowing off the damn driveway, again...

I'm thinkin' nappy time.  ;)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:20:36 PM »
I've often wondered how he Dodd and Samuel Colt would have gotten along. And now there's Blumenthal and if we really suck the bag we'll have Bysiewicz in there and you can tell by just looking at her not a lot is going on up there so she's going to just follow the pack.  ;/

And who the hell know's where McMahon is at. Unless you need some steroids to bulk up that is. That she can get you.

Bysiewicz?

You mean the woman with the law degree who was so stupid she couldn't figure out that she hadn't practiced law for long enough to qualify as a candidate for state Attorney General? THAT Bysiewicz?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
didn't leiberman announce his retirement earlier this month?  was he in one of the palin's "crosshairs"?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »
It's pronounced "Bitchy-Witch" or "Beyotchy-Witch"

I'm urban challenged, I don't know how to spell "beyatch" "Beyotch"? I don't know.  :laugh:

Uncle Joe JUST last couple days announced his retirement. El lamo Ducko and I gaurantee he's going to suck it up for all it's worth.

anyhoo, here's my reply all done and sent:

Thank you for your reply Mr Lieberman.

I must say I understand your concern for walking the fine line on this subject and certainly appreciate your position on guns being readily available to those who would misuse them. Unfortunately time and time again these attempts to legislate the problem away have done little more than restrict the rights of those who use them in the manner for which they were intended.

Yes, they are intended to be used for hunting but they are and always have been intended to be used for personal defense as well as national defense. This needs to become a much clearer aspect of the whole picture to yourself and your colleagues. When you restrict the law abiding citizen's ability to procure and use the weapons that we the people feel give us the best chance of defending our homes and country you put us at risk of being outgunned by and at the mercy of the very people who would misuse them.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me I'm afraid. Because I'd like to think the leaders we send from Connecticut to Washington are among the sharpest minds we have available. Yet these congressional representatives don't seem to be able to grasp this very simple concept. And, even with their law degrees, they seem to have a problem in understanding the definitions of three very simple words put forth in the Bill of Rights. So I'm afraid I have to ask you sir, which one of the words "shall not infringe" are you having trouble defining? Let me know and I'll help you look it up.

Thank you again, I await your reply

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:46:32 AM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 02:06:36 PM »
If anybody wants to copy add "or make war against us." after "misuse them" if you want.

it's not too bad, Wish I'd noticed I used the word "afraid" twice. I hate repeating words and yet I do it all the time.  ;/

:laugh:

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 07:25:29 PM »
"Yet yet these congressional "

You should correct that.

Otherwise, well done!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 08:35:12 PM »
 Too late now! :facepalm:

:laugh:

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 02:05:51 AM »
So you haven't corrected it yet yet...

Oh, well...

When I was... I don't know, ten or twelve... back in New York, I asked my mother where a woman's "yet" was.  She was puzzled and confuzzled and probably expected something street-dirty and asked me where I heard it.  So I showed her a newspaper item where a woman had got shot and she was recovering, but with the bullet in her yet.

Long-standing family joke, and boy, was I sick of it by the time I was... I don't know, twenty or twenty-one...  and moved out to Colorado.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:27:56 AM by 230RN »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 07:45:44 AM »
Sorry, I'll fix it now. I disunderstood...  :P

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 07:50:52 AM »
Ours was the "Happy Birthday" sign Mom bought one year. Made it China of course. It was all made of big cut out cardboard letters strung together by rivets so you could hang it in an arc. Anyhoo, it said, "Happy Bithday". So the joke was they must have run out of "R"s over there in China, and just like you said, birthdays became bithdays for the next 20 years.  :lol:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
I'm sure your violent right wing rhetoric will get you a visit from the FBI...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
I'm sure your violent right wing rhetoric will get you a visit from the FBI...
Funny, I talked to an FBI guy about a week ago. He seemed friendly enough...  :laugh:

:angel:

I'm pretty sure they all know me. This isn't the first time I've "penned a letter" to my congress critters. I once explained to Mr Dodd that he needed to do his best to outlive me because if he dies first I'll be sure to piss on his grave. Nobody showed up after that one. Apparently it was rather mild compared to some of the things they get.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:14:43 PM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
Re: Got my form letter...Part II
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Dear Mr. 280:

Thank you for contacting me again regarding your concern over gun control legislation.

I am sorry that we see this issue from different points of view. I appreciate the time you took to explain your position to me, and I look forward to having the benefit of your views on other issues of interest or concern to you in the future.

I hope you will continue to visit my web site at http://lieberman.senate.gov for current information about what is happening in Connecticut and updated news about my work on behalf of Connecticut and the nation.

Sincerely,

Joseph I. Lieberman
UNITED STATES SENATOR

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:44:01 PM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 02:53:30 PM »
And my reply:

Mr Lieberman,

I did not contact you in regards to my feelings on gun control legislation, I contacted you to find out which of the three words "shall not infringe" you fail to comprehend. At this point I can only voice dismay and concern that you have chosen to dodge the issue as opposed to providing a coherent answer. Things like this are why we the people will be working hard to do whatever we can to get those who do things like dodge issues out of office and try to get some forthright individuals into office. Of course, now being the lame duck you are I suspect you don't really care either way. The country will slowly but surely wrest itself free from the grips of all you smooth talking lawyer/politicians because that's what all us common folk are talking about these days, the need for less lawyers in office and a more diverse representation of the people instead. Tell your friends.

btw, way to cry and whine after you and that idiot Gore lost that election. You were an embarrassment to the state as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,