Author Topic: Where to begin? Letter to the editor  (Read 2890 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Where to begin? Letter to the editor
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:48:37 PM »
Even though we've left Milwaukee, I still have to read the letters to the editor, probably for the same reasons that I have to look at traffic accidents as I pass them by.

Today's letters were doozies, but this one takes the cake:

STATE OF THE UNION

Ryan rebuttal only supported the greedy

It was so refreshing to listen to President Barack Obama's State of the Union speech and his concerns for the working class.

Then we had Rep. Paul "just give them the money" Ryan's (R-Wis.) rebuttal that consisted of typical Republican general tax cut statements that, in reality, stand for the wealthy and corporate greed. Smaller government means lack of regulations and tax cuts for corporations and is also the reason we had the Bush recession.

It is working-class spending that moves the economy. The United States already had an almost 9% unemployment rate after the tech meltdown in the early 2000s. As the decade went on, the Bush administration only made things worse for the working class.

The Republican insistence to continue the Bush tax cuts put us deeper in debt than Obama's health care program will, and the program will help more everyday people than just the wealthy. We need health care, and we need to control health care costs.

What we need to repeal is Ryan, who gave General Motors all the money it wanted while taking jobs out of his hometown of Janesville.

Eight years of the Bush administration and Republican rhetoric have put us in this financial mess, and all the Republicans want to do is go back to the same old rhetoric. Campaign donations are all that matters.

The "Bush recession"? Is he referring to today's economy, or a relative blip on the screen when GW was in office?

Working class spending moves the economy? The US had 9% unemployment in the early 2000's?

It was Paul Ryan who gave General Motors tons of money?

Why didn't I read all of this? The folks here on APS have been posting misleading news.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Where to begin? Letter to the editor
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:59:28 PM »
It was Paul Ryan who gave General Motors tons of money?

I thought the people who opposed the GM bail-out were - wait for it - evil Republicans that tend to support tax cuts for the wealthy.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 12:22:12 AM »
Eight years of the Bush administration and Republican rhetoric have put us in this financial mess,
Just to be clear - Bush and the GOP were only fully in charge for six years; the last two years of the Bush administration were marked by Democratic majorities in both the House and Senate, with Pelosi and Reid running them, aided and abetted by such financial luminaries as Barney Frank and Chris Dodd.

No question that Bush and the GOP spent too much for six years . . . but when, exactly, did the economy start heading south?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »
Not even 6 years.  Recall that the Dems held the Senate in the first 2 years of Bush's term, thanks to Jumpin' Jim Jeffords.

The economy started going south in the summer of '08 with the collapse of the commodities markets.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »
Oy, Marohn!  Will someone please tell that idiot it's not the amount of taxes collected or from whom.  It's the spending, stupid. :facepalm:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »
It really doesn't matter.  This is a person that believes that everyone who makes any significant amount more than they do is rich and needs to pay more taxes.  It doesn't sink in that those people are not rich, just people trying to get rich and being held back by high taxes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 11:28:17 AM »
I posted this because it's very representative of the letters to the editor at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. I regard this guy as a kook, but the JS apparently doesn't, as they publish many letters from people such as him.

People like him are one of the main reasons we moved to the south. There's enough of them to steer elections to put into office extreme leftists who pick your pockets empty.

$100 says this guy voted for the ballot referendum requiring all employers to give all employees--full or part time--five to ten paid sick days per year. That referendum passed, BTW, and I'm sure people like this guy are blaming the resulting lost jobs from such policies on "corporate greed".