Author Topic: Marine One only has one radio??? Sounds fishy to me...  (Read 4640 times)

m1911owner

• friend
Marine One only has one radio??? Sounds fishy to me...
« on: April 19, 2006, 09:54:17 AM »
This story: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/19/D8H34DGG0.html, says:

A radio problem on the Marine One helicopter prevented it from taking off from the White House lawn Wednesday, forcing President Bush to wait for a motorcade to take him to nearby Andrews Air Force Base.

Bush and his senior advisers had boarded the helicopter and it revved up in preparation for takeoff, but after about a minute its engines were shut down. Bush got off smiling.

"We had an issue with the helicopter," the president said. "Everyone's safe."

Bush walked off to shake hands with visitors who came to see the takeoff. White House Deputy Chief of Staff Joe Hagin said the helicopter's radio had failed. "They couldn't talk to anyone," he said.

A motorcade was being assembled to take Bush to the air force base to begin his flight to Tuskegee, Ala.
This sounds rather fishy to me.  As I recall from when I was piloting a few years ago, any IFR-rated aircraft has to have dual navcoms.   It is not plausible that Marine One does not carry full IFR equipment.  Therefore, even if a radio was out, they'd still be able to talk on the second radio.  Not, "They couldn't talk to anyone", as we're being told.

I'd guess there was some other issue that they don't want to talk about.  Since we're fighting a war and they have need from time-to-time to not tell us everything, I guess I can accept this may be one of those times, so I'll wish them good luck and Godspeed.  Still, I do wonder what was up...

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 10:01:16 AM »
My guess?

It's exactly what they're saying it is.

If the radio fails on the ground, you don't take off simply because you have a second.

The back up is there for when you're en route and the main radio fails.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 10:03:51 AM »
The VH-3 called Marine One when the president is aboard has UHF, VHF, SATCOM and a suite of other comms in the back.  Can't imagine why they couldn't use a different radio. Mind you, that helicopter is 30 years old, so it may have suffered a bus failure or some such. Also don't know why the backup didn't step in.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:43:45 AM »
Mike Irwin's got it. If you've got the option, you go back and get whatever failed repaired/replaced. The backups are for getting you out of a situation you can't get out of any other way.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 10:58:13 AM »
What everyone else said, and the whole 'we couldn't talk to anyone' comment came from a passenger, not the crew.

But the Marine One is 30 years old?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 11:25:51 AM »
...thought that said motorCYCLE for some reason.  I guess it's the pain medication.
My thought was, "Bush rode a chopper to the AFB?  KICKREAR*"

*Curse my PG-13 rating.

I'm pretty sure they have two navcoms, aye.  But if an important system goes down...why would you want to take off with just the backup?  The back up is there in-case you're in-flight...
Sounds dangerous to put yourself in an already risky area with only backup systems.
When you take off, you want to take off with everything working.  Because if you have a problem, don't get it fixed and take off...that problem can spread elsewhere.  Then you're up a creak sans paddle.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
34 years, to be exact.  The VH-3s in the squadron assigned to ferry the president around entered service in 1962.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 11:39:18 AM »
How 'bout a credible report of a manpad in the area?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 01:38:48 PM »
You're getting way too skeptical, m1911owner.  This Deputy COS probably was just told it was a radio problem and then ad-libbed the "They can't talk to anyone."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 02:24:35 PM »
I think Mike Irwin has it.

Add to that the cargo is POTUS.

Do you take off on back up radio and take a chance that the radio didn't fail because of an electrical problem that could affect other systems? Not me brother. I'd say safety protocols to the 10th power at work here.

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 02:29:07 PM »
The VH-3 called Marine One when the president is aboard has UHF, VHF, SATCOM and a suite of other comms in the back.  Can't imagine why they couldn't use a different radio. Mind you, that helicopter is 30 years old, so it may have suffered a bus failure or some such. Also don't know why the backup didn't step in.
The airframe might be 30 years old, but I know some people that would argue otherwise about the state of the electronics. Wink

Kharn

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 03:43:53 PM »
Not that I know the specifics, but the White House Signal Detachment keeps the President and the other brass wired at all times.   There are redundent communication systems at all times.  (This is SOP for the military.)   I agree with Mike Irwin.   If the primary communications fail and you're supposed to fly the President somewhere, it's best to use another bird than rely on the backups.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter: Therefore unsafe."

Anon. Marine
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 05:59:53 PM »
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter: Therefore unsafe."

Anon. Marine
Unless it's an Osprey. Wait a minute.....

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 11:07:27 PM »
Quote from: garrettwc

Anon. Marine
Unless it's an Osprey. Wait a minute.....
Once I was at a base here in the States, driving past the heliplex.  Noticed an Osprey on the pad, so I put on my k-pot.   Got some odd looks.   Any time someone asked me about it, I said an Osprey was in the area.   By the end of the day, EVERYONE was nervously looking at the sky, hoping it fell on someone else.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 01:54:18 AM »
I'd bet money its got more than one standard means of communication, on top of other radios.  And, I'd also venture to guess, since its VM1, they don't want to run it in any-than-other optimal condition.  I'd imagine if any piece of equipment goes out, they probably are fixing it asap rather than going airborne.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 11:00:52 AM »
They probably have a dozen radios on board. Several of them are for convenience and security etc. and a couple of them are required equipment to opperate a military aircraft. Regardless the aircraft failed its preflight check, and that means you dont fly, wether your cargo is a load of scrap iron or the president of the United States.

publius

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 06:57:53 PM »
MEL = Minimum Equipment List.

Airliners have them, so Marine One probably does as well. You can take off with some things broken, but not the things on that list.