Author Topic: Liberals and "investing"  (Read 1557 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Liberals and "investing"
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:08 AM »
Liberals have an amazing way of twisting the language to make one thing seem like another. What's more, they seem to be good at it, as a sizable chunk of the populace embraces the words.

Consider the word "invest". Whenever you hear a liberal use the word, it means "taxes". Examples are "investing in renewable energy" or "investing in high speed rail". They're not going to be venture capitalists and get in on the ground floor of a green energy company or a high speed rail company. They're going to try to get you, me and everyone else to subsidize these endeavors with tax dollars, whether we like the endeavors or not.

The above is why it's so entertaining to watch the liberal scapegoating on gas and oil prices. Obama is trying to deflect blame for rising gas and oil prices by blaming "speculators". The word "speculator" sounds much more sinister than "investor", even though they're basically the same thing. Commodities traders invest in futures contracts just as stock traders invest in stocks.

So, we have good investors and bad investors. The good investors are those who "invest" your money in something you may not want, that probably won't work, and which may--as the history of government has demonstrated--make things even worse.

The bad investors invest their own money, lose it if they're wrong, or make more if they're right. But you're not paying for their activities.

That's about as Orwellian as it gets. Apparently all of the liberals got the fax, because if I listen to talk radio for even five minutes, a liberal is calling in to berate "speculators" who are getting rich at the expense of the public, and who are living better than the rest of us. I suspect it's that "living better than the rest of us" that really galls them, certainly more than the price of gas. Liberals have always wanted gas to be expensive.

It's fascinating to listen to them go on and on about the rich people who didn't work for their money. Who are these people who somehow just managed to get rich by accident? Is that what it is and, if so, why can't the rest of us just get rich quick with no work? If rich people got where they are through no effort, then it should be effortless to get rich, right?

Sorry, but my head is spinning. I have to stop and take a dramamine.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Liberals and "investing"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
The bad investors invest their own money, lose it if they're wrong, privatize gain and subsidize loss with our tax dollars

Fixed that for you.

I don't agree with you.  Libs or Rinos or NeoCons, they're all Statists.

Some Statists like to pre-emptively spend our money on "investments."

Other Statists like to reactively spend our money on "firms too big to fail."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
Not all capitalists are Statists, but in this epoch we are all involved with the State, whether we want to be or not.  We need to identify the real problems here.  One is that you cannot have capitalism without morality; Adam Smith understood that, we have forgotten it.  The other is that the financier class, which deals with abstractions, has displaced the builders and merchants dealing with the actual making and selling of material things.  That the financial power elite is intimately involved with government is beyond dispute.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
Well said, Dick.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 12:36:32 PM »
Fixed that for you.

I don't agree with you.  Libs or Rinos or NeoCons, they're all Statists.

Some Statists like to pre-emptively spend our money on "investments."

Other Statists like to reactively spend our money on "firms too big to fail."

One kind of statist likes to let me keep my money and my guns, so at least I can try to kill them if things get out of hand.  So, for lack of better options, I vote for those ones.
I promise not to duck.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 03:11:58 PM »
One kind of statist likes to let me keep my money and my guns, so at least I can try to kill them if things get out of hand.  So, for lack of better options, I vote for those ones.

Yeah, but they send all the domestic AMMO overseas for wars and then prohibit importation of foreign ammo sources.

Guns are no threat without bullets.  Except for those fearsome bayonets. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »
It's fascinating to listen to them go on and on about the rich people who didn't work for their money. Who are these people who somehow just managed to get rich by accident? Is that what it is and, if so, why can't the rest of us just get rich quick with no work? If rich people got where they are through no effort, then it should be effortless to get rich, right?

It usually IS them....which is why I don't totally object to shifting more of the tax burden from the middle class to them.   

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »
It usually IS them....which is why I don't totally object to shifting more of the tax burden from the middle class to them.   

What happens if you work hard and become one of "them"? Do you then turn into a liberal?

Rich liberals have all sorts of ways to avoid taxes. Warren Buffet's tax rate last year was 17%, yet he calls for higher taxes ("investments") for everyone else.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
My favorite investing related quip to use with liberals comes up when one of them mentions that "oil companies are getting rich from their profiteering, blah blah blah" I always tell them that "oil companies are publicly traded, the 'massive profits' go to the stock holders in the form of dividends and higher stock values, so why don't you put your money where your mouth is and sell everything you own, take a second or third mortgage on your home to raise every dime you can to buy oil stocks so that you can become one of the rich fat cats as well? "
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
The thing I find most despicable about liberals is not the hypocrisy, not the nanny statism, not the lies- It is the ENVY- rich or poor, it seems to run through them top to bottom.  I know well off retired  folks who are upset because millionaire mom won't give them her money.
  Envy is a disgusting filthy disease.   It is the flip side of "entitlements".