Author Topic: Laws for Thee....But Not for ME....  (Read 4837 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Laws for Thee....But Not for ME....
« on: May 09, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2011/05/09/lawmakers_gunseverywhere_bill.html

Quote from: Statesman.com
Without debate, the Texas Senate today approved a bill to allow lawmakers to carry concealed handguns anywhere, even in places where average Texans cannot.

:facepalm: ........just  :facepalm: ...........
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Laws for Thee....But Not for ME....
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »
Texas is free!

Oh, wait. :)

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »
Texas is free!

Oh, wait. :)

Chris

:lol:

You should hear the squealing when I tell people that I wish Texas was as free as Texans think it is....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:28:20 PM »
Makes me wonder just how many laws there actually are that provide exemptions for government or otherwise.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
Makes me wonder just how many laws there actually are that provide exemptions for government or otherwise.

You have only to look at law enforcement* in most states. LE have exemptions from many firearms restrictions, including when they are off duty or retired.

* Not to become an LE bashing thread. I know that a lot of LE, current and former, think that the special exemptions outside of their workplace are not fair.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »
Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston, said the measure that would allow legislators, statewide elected officials, some former legislators and some state employees to carry their concealed weapons in bars, churches and hospitals and at sporting events and other places they are currently prohibited — including businesses that post signs outside saying concealed handguns are prohibited.

“This bill is really about logistics,” Patrick said earlier, when the bill was approved by a Senate committee. “We go from one place to another — maybe five or six places in one evening for functions and events — and we may be faced with either leaving (guns) in the car or taking them inside and violating the law.
What an @$$.  As if they are the only people who have to travel around. 
This guy I think is still involved with 700 AM locally.  I'm glad I stopped listening to that years ago.

The article doesn't say if this passed the House or not.  Anyone know?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »
Some animals are more equal...   :mad:

I would call them "pigs" but that would be an insult to the porcine community.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 11:00:01 PM »

I'm fairly sure that the Feds generally do not have to comply with the American with Disabilities Act when it comes to stuff like building access (but they usually do anyway).

All kinds of stuff that one does not think about on a daily basis that the government is exempt from...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:05:18 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:28:20 AM »
Has there been a law passed by Congress in the past 50 years* that they have not exempted themselves from?

stay safe.

* picked 50 years just to make tings easy. ;/

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 09:12:34 AM »
Looks like this, and campus carry passed the house last night.  Good and bad together.  Not sure yet if the OC bill has left committee.  Not holding my breath for it to gain traction this legislative cycle.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 09:37:03 AM »
Looks like this, and campus carry passed the house last night.  Good and bad together.  Not sure yet if the OC bill has left committee.  Not holding my breath for it to gain traction this legislative cycle.
I thought campus carry passed the Senate as an amendment to another bill, and the whole thing was now going to the House?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »
I am not really surprised by that.  It seems that even for the main TSRA sponsored bills, it sometimes takes a few sessions to get things passed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
OC passed committee, surprisingly enough. It'll probably die in committee in the senate, though.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
OC passed committee, surprisingly enough. It'll probably die in committee in the senate, though.

Sweet! And...probably.   =|
JD

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »

Congress exempts itself and staffers from insider trading laws.  Just think about the killing you could make by buying & shorting company stocks thta are regulated by your subcommittee? 

Is it any wonder how LBJ became a millionaire, but always made nothing more than a bureaucrat's or congresscritter's salary?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton