Author Topic: " She NEEDS a job..." but doesn't get it.  (Read 4593 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
" She NEEDS a job..." but doesn't get it.
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/05/12/obama_there_is_nothing_more_important_than_a_government_job.html

Watch the video.

Husband works, she works (at the national zoo).  7 months pregnant.  Trying to finance a house.  Getting laid off.  

She's upset that she won't be able to interview successfully since she's showing, and will almost immediately need maternity leave.

She wants to keep her government job and keep her big fat maternity checks when she's off work for a couple months.

She wants to be able to continue the loan approval process and buy a house.

She wants.  She wants.  She needs.  She needs.

AZRedhawk says:

Sorry.  You'll have to cash out all your vacation when you get laid off, probably with a severance package.  Have your baby.  Subsidize your needed maternity time with the vacation/severance.  Then go out and interview.  Hold off on the house until next year.  Your apartment will do just fine for now.  You don't have a "right" to a house.

And Obama says, in the video: Nothing's more important that government workers. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: " She NEEDS a job..." but doesn't get it.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »
Nesting thing.  I see it all the time.  In fact, real estate agents love to work with expecting couples because pregnant women, with the whole hormone-induced nesting instinct thing, will utterly destroy their "not gonna do it unless it's a steal" husband if his attitude is going to cost them the home she likes. 

But, I'm with you... they need to sit tight in their apartment, have said child, get gainfully re-employed, and THEN get on with finding a home.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »
Nesting thing.  I see it all the time.  In fact, real estate agents love to work with expecting couples because pregnant women, with the whole hormone-induced nesting instinct thing, will utterly destroy their "not gonna do it unless it's a steal" husband if his attitude is going to cost them the home she likes. 

But, I'm with you... they need to sit tight in their apartment, have said child, get gainfully re-employed, and THEN get on with finding a home.

Brad

LOL! remind me to look for a house by myself if I ever get married
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
And Obama says, in the video: Nothing's more important that government workers. ;/

No he doesn't.

It's sad that she's losing her job, and doing so with bad timing.  But it does happen, and a pregnancy doesn't entitle anyone to anything.  And while .gov jobs tend to be more stable then private sector jobs, I can introduce you to several former .gov workers that can tell you that you can, in fact, be fired and/or layed off.  She bought into a myth.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
No he doesn't.

OK, to be 100% correct he said:

Quote from: Obama in the linked video
I think there is nothing more important than working on behalf of the American people.

Sorry, but the National Zoo just doesn't matter that much.  There's no "nothing more important" about her particular government job.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »
Sorry, but the National Zoo just doesn't matter that much.  There's no "nothing more important" about her particular government job.

Oh I agree that a "non-essential" National Zoo employee is about as damn unessential as it gets.  I'm just sick and tired of everyone from random bloggers to John Stewart to CNN selectively quoting political figures (or just making crap up" and then running with it like their audience is to *expletive deleted*ing stupid to notice. 

And I know you were just quoting the article's headline, but the headline is a lie.  He didn't say nothing is more important than government workers.  The noun "government workers" was nowhere in that sentence.  Words have meanings, and when we misuse and twist them we come off sounding like Glenn Beck or Alex Jones. In the long run this crap hurts our ability to have actual discourse in politics.  Hell at this point even in the short run.

I'm harping on this because it's not news that some entry-level .gov worker got layed off, or that she doesn't like it.  Of course she doesn't like it, it sucks.  Welcome to the recession. If Real Clear  ;/ Politics hadn't lied in the headline you never would have bothered to post it.  Who would watch a video titled "Layed off worker thinks it sucks to be unemployed."?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
Oh I agree that a "non-essential" National Zoo employee is about as damn unessential as it gets.  I'm just sick and tired of everyone from random bloggers to John Stewart to CNN selectively quoting political figures (or just making crap up" and then running with it like their audience is to *expletive deleted*ing stupid to notice. 

And I know you were just quoting the article's headline, but the headline is a lie.  He didn't say nothing is more important than government workers.  The noun "government workers" was nowhere in that sentence.  Words have meanings, and when we misuse and twist them we come off sounding like Glenn Beck or Alex Jones. In the long run this crap hurts our ability to have actual discourse in politics.  Hell at this point even in the short run.

I'm harping on this because it's not news that some entry-level .gov worker got layed off, or that she doesn't like it.  Of course she doesn't like it, it sucks.  Welcome to the recession. If Real Clear  ;/ Politics hadn't lied in the headline you never would have bothered to post it.  Who would watch a video titled "Layed off worker thinks it sucks to be unemployed."?

I agree with all this.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:13:13 PM »
Who would watch a video titled "Layed off worker thinks it sucks to be unemployed."?

I would.  Well, if Natalie Portman was in it I would.  Otherwise, no, probably not.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:15:22 PM »
I would.  Well, if Natalie Portman was in it I would.  Otherwise, no, probably not.

I agree with all this.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
Where was Obama when Ihad a sob story of losing my last job- 3 days after my daughter was born? Oh jeez that's right, I'm a conservative white male who works in the evil pharmaceutical industry. ;/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 12:00:48 AM »
You wonder who "the American Consumer" is and why we're living beyond our means as a nation?  Wonder no longer.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »
"Let me just first of all say that workers like you, for the federal, state, and local governments, are so important for our vital services. And it frustrates me sometimes when people talk about 'government jobs' as if somehow those are worth less than private sector jobs. I think there is nothing more important than working on behalf of the American people."

The OP is 100% correct.

I'm not sure what the huff and puff is all about, the President said it, there is nothing inaccurate about the headline.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 10:18:24 AM »
"I think there is nothing more important than working on behalf of the American people."

Its all fine and dandy to work for .gov 'servicing' Americans, but someone still has to pay for those services. While some of those services are vital, most are not.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
One more child to grow up with an illegal alien nanny.

But, hey, having the big house, right now, is what counts.

Goodbye, America.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.