Author Topic: Ron Paul and Barney Frank team up to legalize weed  (Read 13585 times)

zahc

• friend
Ron Paul and Barney Frank team up to legalize weed
« on: June 23, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »
It's still sad that a bill needs to be passed to get the feds from doing something they have no authority to be doing in the first place.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43508025

I was also wondering, if this passed, where exactly would weed be legal (before the state-level scrambles to illegalize it)? I think most states have their own laws against it but I'm sure there are some that don't.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Ron Paul and Barney Frank team up to legalize weed
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
I dunno, but the BP and DEA would have a lot less traffic, and the Mexican pot gangs would get real poor for awhile until they switched over to meth or coccaine and built appropriate supply lines and infrastructure.

Hell, decriminalizing the growing and smoking of it in quantities of less than half a dozen plants and posession of less than a pound would make a huge dent in narco-crime.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:04:13 PM »
You want to make the big banks that do the money-laundering collapse?  What are you suggesting? :O
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »
I doubt you will see much difference until you see Winston THC cigarettes at the corning store.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
I've become a lot more libertarian-minded regarding my views on drugs and drug laws, but somehow because Barney Frank is for this, I want to be against it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:35:14 PM »
I don't like to be a spoilsport, but I suspect this is a gesture.

That said, to paraphrase a Russian blogger: "There's no choice. We need to praise Barney Frank now."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:09:23 PM »
I've become a lot more libertarian-minded regarding my views on drugs and drug laws, but somehow because Barney Frank is for this, I want to be against it.

I understand, I really do.

Gotta recall the old saws about broken clocks, "enemies of my enemies," and such.

I don't like to be a spoilsport, but I suspect this is a gesture.

That said, to paraphrase a Russian blogger: "There's no choice. We need to praise Barney Frank now."

Heh. 

I think I understand the sentiment.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
There are more pressing areas regarding liberty that need to be addressed before precious energy is expended and wasted on the pot issue, IMHO.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
It's still sad that a bill needs to be passed to get the feds from doing something they have no authority to be doing in the first place.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43508025

I was also wondering, if this passed, where exactly would weed be legal (before the state-level scrambles to illegalize it)? I think most states have their own laws against it but I'm sure there are some that don't.

Well, according to the constitution, the states may have the right to regulate weed.  The Fed, has absolutely no right to do so.
I don't buy the argument that billions in tax revenue will be generated, as most states won't legalize it.

There are more pressing areas regarding liberty that need to be addressed before precious energy is expended and wasted on the pot issue, IMHO.

Actually, there are many areas regarding liberty that are being pissed on by our betters because of the pot issue.  Get caught with a joint and a gun? 
Individually, they are misdemeanors. Together, they are felony with mandatory sentencing. 
Selling a little pot to your friends?  Get a no-knock warrant while federal storm troopers storm your house.  Hell, the war on drugs and the possiblity of evidence being destroyed is what brought us the no-knock.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:17:01 AM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 10:28:28 AM »
  Hell, the war on drugs and the possiblity of evidence being destroyed is what brought us the no-knock.

QFT.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »
We are all smoking the weed of oppressive governance, like it or not.  It is nothing less than a mind-altering substance.  Unfortunately, it's neither recreational nor illuminating.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »
Posted by: JamisJockey
Hell, the war on drugs and the possiblity of evidence being destroyed is what brought us the no-knock.

QFT.

If it wasn't pot they would come up with some other reason. Maybe something like not paying back your student loans...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:04:07 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »
To paraphrase a Russian blogger: "There's no choice. We need to praise Barney Frank now."

Meh. He gets no praise for being on the right side of one issue. Not when he's opposed to life and liberty on so many other things.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »

Actually, there are many areas regarding liberty that are being pissed on by our betters because of the pot issue.  Get caught with a joint and a gun? 
Individually, they are misdemeanors. Together, they are felony with mandatory sentencing. 
Selling a little pot to your friends?  Get a no-knock warrant while federal storm troopers storm your house.  Hell, the war on drugs and the possiblity of evidence being destroyed is what brought us the no-knock.

^^ This.  Although I don't understand how "Individually," getting caught with a gun is a misdemeanor.  That's why I have my permit and that's why my State passed Constitutional Carry.  Because carrying a gun isn't "wrong."

I have people I no longer hang out with since I've started carrying several years ago, due to the whole (guns+drugs+zero_criminal_intent)=(PMITA_Fed_Time) issue.

Despite these associations, I've never smoked so much as one whiff off a joint/bong/whatever.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Ron: I'm wondering what you view as significantly higher priority? Millions of people are in jail for weed, and in many cases that results in broken families (which increase the likelyhood of the children becoming criminals), a guy who's only "crime" is smoking a plant becoming a hardened violent criinal in order to survive jail, massive state local and federal $ being wasted, jail overcrowding resulting in actual criminals getting early release etc... I could go on, but the cost to society both in dollars spent, famiies destroyed, and police powers expanded has been enormous.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »
Millions of people are in jail for weed,

really??

http://www.mahalo.com/answers/how-many-people-are-in-jail-for-marijuana-related-crimes-how-much-does-that-cost-society-what-percentage-are-violent

heck even norml's not trying to fly that, though its a good sound bite

heres norml's link i left out
http://www.skeptically.org/recdrugs/id8.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:20:22 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »
^^^^ Now those were some very interesting statistics cited there.  Hmmm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
Huh, I was guessing and apparently I was off. Good job, you must be so proud of yourself!  :rolleyes:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »
not especially.  i just know i've sat in jail.  and no one there more than overnite was there for possession.  in point of fact i've gotten caught with 1/4 pound and walked and i've sat in court and seen 2 guys go home with mom and dad after getting caught with a bale of pot.  heck last time i was in dc jail they came round for pretrial and asked "do you do any drugs?"  "just pot."  "doesn't count.""  and that was 20 years ago
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
^^ This.  Although I don't understand how "Individually," getting caught with a gun is a misdemeanor.  That's why I have my permit and that's why my State passed Constitutional Carry.  Because carrying a gun isn't "wrong."
I have people I no longer hang out with since I've started carrying several years ago, due to the whole (guns+drugs+zero_criminal_intent)=(PMITA_Fed_Time) issue.

Despite these associations, I've never smoked so much as one whiff off a joint/bong/whatever.

Oh I fully agree.  But the reality of the issue is that in most states, carrying without a permit is a crime.  Here in Texas, its only a Class A Mis, unless you're in a school (then its an F).  And of course in some states it jumps right to the big F.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 05:25:05 PM »
Huh, I was guessing and apparently I was off. Good job, you must be so proud of yourself!  :rolleyes:
Honestly, my first response was the same.  I really didn't think there were that many there just for pot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
its hard as heck to go to jail for "just pot"  usually if you look you find a host of other offenses.  sometime with a good lawyer you can get a deal to  plead to a pot bust so as to not ruin your life but then folks try to scam and claim it was all they did.  does it happen occasionally?  yup usually when someone tries to get cute in court or has bad/no legal help

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
its hard as heck to go to jail for "just pot"  usually if you look you find a host of other offenses.  sometime with a good lawyer you can get a deal to  plead to a pot bust so as to not ruin your life but then folks try to scam and claim it was all they did.  does it happen occasionally?  yup usually when someone tries to get cute in court or has bad/no legal help

Well that makes everything okay then.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
being stupid is supposed to have consequences.
you gotta see it to believe it.  some burnt out 19 year old standing up and proclaiming loudly "this is bogus dude!  he never read me my rights!"  and then that sad look as they go through "that door"
"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »
being stupid is supposed to have consequences.

You keep using that word.

It doesn't mean what you think it means.