Author Topic: Ron Paul and Barney Frank team up to legalize weed  (Read 13557 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Ron Paul and Barney Frank team up to legalize weed
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
Getting stupid drunk only hurts yourself.

if that were at least 1/2 true i'd agree.  sadly not

http://www.marininstitute.org/alcohol_policy/health_care_costs.htm

i've been pro legalization since before some of you were born,  that said statements like the one i bolded are not progress. great soundbite for the already converted but for those not so enlightened it makes it too easy to dismiss "the movement" wholesale
nor is the circus in montana progress
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »
For years, I"ve been anti-legalization of anything.  Never touched pot or anything else unless it was in an evidence bag.  But as I get older, and somewhat wiser, I'm coming around on the pot issue.  Make it legal, tax it like cigarettes, and spend the money.  Make it illegal to drive under the influence (like it already is).  Let employers do what they want to do on the issue.

Though, I've got to say, I never thought I'd see the day when tobacco use would be more of a social stigma than pot use.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 09:48:19 PM »
I do not have children. I am 0% likely to abuse my children, because my children do not exist. Even were I to use meth, alcohol, pure caffeine tablets, and Super Glue at once, I would still not be more likely to abuse my children.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »
Even were I to use meth, alcohol, pure caffeine tablets, and Super Glue at once, I would still not be more likely to abuse my children.

And you wouldn't remember it, if you had.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

PTK

• friends
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 04:23:08 PM »
Not even when double-illegal? Can we try still? ;/
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
For years, I"ve been anti-legalization of anything.  Never touched pot or anything else unless it was in an evidence bag.  But as I get older, and somewhat wiser, I'm coming around on the pot issue.  Make it legal, tax it like cigarettes, and spend the money.  Make it illegal to drive under the influence (like it already is).  Let employers do what they want to do on the issue.

Though, I've got to say, I never thought I'd see the day when tobacco use would be more of a social stigma than pot use.

Ok, honest question here. Something I've never understood about the anti-legalization folks, and you seem unlikely to get vexed with me for asking.

1. When you were anti-legalization, how did you deal with the failure of Prohibition? 2. Did you feel marijuana was significantly different/worse than alcohol, and if so what was that opinion based on?

Like I said, not trying to be a jerk. But I really just can't fathom how people can hold that the WoSD is a good thing, in the face of those two questions. Since you're somewhat converted, hopefully being asked won't cause offense. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 12:58:45 AM »

Yeah, that has gotten pretty creepy.  Especially the mothers/fathers who make a big stink about how some dude's second-hand smoke might harm their children in a restaurant.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
"for the (imputed) children"
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 01:03:16 AM »
I do not have children. I am 0% likely to abuse my children, because my children do not exist. Even were I to use meth, alcohol, pure caffeine tablets, and Super Glue at once, I would still not be more likely to abuse my children.

Well, if you own a house, but do not rent it out, the gov't can make up an "imputed rental income" to tax you on.  

So, since you have reproductive organs, but no actual children, gov't will impute an even half dozen children to you so that they can impose drug laws on you "for the (imputed) children."

Four controlled substances multiplied by six children makes 24 violations.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Lee

• friend
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
How many police man-hours were used to arrest and process those people? I'd rather have them on traffic duty or cruising town. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2011, 12:51:36 AM »
William Bennett had an op-ed piece on CNN today about how wrong Frank and Paul are on this.  His basic argument was "it's for the children", and he was pretty well slammed by all the comments.

It would have been refreshing if he'd just said "drugs are bad".  We can all mostly agree on that (it's just that the War on Drugs is a lot worse, IMHO, and I don't even do drugs)
"It's good, though..."

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
Yeah, that has gotten pretty creepy.  Especially the mothers/fathers who make a big stink about how some dude's second-hand smoke might harm their children in a restaurant.

I don't want anyone's second hand smoke, be it pot or tobacco or crack cocaine.
Look, tiny text!

henschman

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
Strange bedfellows... but we libertarians have to realize that we only represent a small percent of this country's population, and if we are going to get anything done at all politically, we are going to have to cooperate with members of both of the two major statist political philosophies to do so. 
“Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.”
-- Thomas Jefferson

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
Strange bedfellows... but we libertarians have to realize that we only represent a small percent of this country's population, and if we are going to get anything done at all politically, we are going to have to cooperate with members of both of the two major statist political philosophies to do so. 

as a hint?  to encourage cooperation it behooves one to not use the word "statist" as both a derogatory label and part of the name you assign those you imagine, and i stress imagine, are gonna cooperate with you.  lest they continue to put itching powder in your wookie suits and snicker
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

henschman

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2011, 04:13:01 AM »
as a hint?  to encourage cooperation it behooves one to not use the word "statist" as both a derogatory label and part of the name you assign those you imagine, and i stress imagine, are gonna cooperate with you.  lest they continue to put itching powder in your wookie suits and snicker

Oh no, we do not call them "statists" to their faces when we want something from them!  ;)

Just because you are strongly opposed to someone's philosophy doesn't mean you can't cooperate with them on the issues you agree on.  Ron Paul excoriated Barney Frank VERY harshly after the financial collapse in 2007, yet they can still work together on protecting the right of self-ownership. 
“Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.”
-- Thomas Jefferson

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »

Here we go again.  Keep it civil.  This wookie suit *expletive deleted*it is getting quite old. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
I'm sure people mocked Sam Adams' gang for their Indian getups too.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

PTK

• friends
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »
I'm sure people mocked Sam Adams' gang for their Indian getups too.

Best response I've seen to such mockery, yet. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2011, 02:35:43 PM »
I would like to see it.  I have glaucoma.  chris3