Author Topic: 56Mil Year-Old Landscape Discovered Beneath Seafloor  (Read 762 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
56Mil Year-Old Landscape Discovered Beneath Seafloor
« on: July 11, 2011, 10:53:22 AM »
Every time someone comes up to me to spout Global Warming "The end of the world is nigh! The sea will rise a meter in a hundred years!" stuff, I like to bring up examples of substantial geological events like this one. The story is somewhat sensationalizing the discovery with the "Atlantis" thing, but I find geological discoveries like this really fascinating. Both from the pure science perspective, and from the, "humans haven't been around all that long and need to get over themselves" perspective.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/07/11/lost-world-atlantis-like-landscape-discovered/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: 56Mil Year-Old Landscape Discovered Beneath Seafloor
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:22:37 AM »
All Hail Atlantis!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AUEjzVQwKo

I love that *expletive deleted*ing song.
7-11 was a part time job.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »
Holy cow, what detail --even down to rivulets coming off the highlands.

High pressured air is released from metal cylinders, producing sound waves that travel to the ocean floor and beneath it, through layers of sediment. (quote op. cit)

Interesting technique.  I thought most geo-echo-exploration was done with conventional explosives. (I assume they let the air out suddenly to generate shock waves... or did they let it scream out of the containers and get echoes from that?)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »
The stars are aligning! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Soon the city will rise and the great priest will rise and call forth the Great Old Ones! The madness!
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic