Author Topic: Good sense, reason, decency prevails - liberty intact  (Read 38525 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Good sense, reason, decency prevails - liberty intact
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
http://www.bnd.com/2011/07/12/1783276/no-more-saggy-pants-in-collinsville.html

The ordinance forbids pants that sag more than 3 to 4 inches below the waistline of the underwear. A first offense is punishable with a $100 fine; a second offense would carry a $300 fine plus 40 hours of community service. The citation would not allow arrest or detainment.

Well done. Now for the delicious caterwauling of those who think they have a right to display their behinds in underpants. You have the floor...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Good sense, reason, decency prevails - liberty intact
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »
The citation would not allow arrest or detainment.

So who is going to bother paying the fine or showing up for community service  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:25:25 AM »
So who is going to bother paying the fine or showing up for community service  ???

I'm pretty sure failure to pay the fine may result in arrest or detainment. The process of getting the citation would not allow arrest or detainment, though, is my reading.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:44:51 AM »
i think snatching drivers licenses would encourage the lil darlins
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure failure to pay the fine may result in arrest or detainment. The process of getting the citation would not allow arrest or detainment, though, is my reading.

Ah, that makes it all better then.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »

Ah, that makes it all better then.

Not saying it makes it all better. I'm saying it makes it enforceable.

I'm sure you're opposed to localities outlawing rude and indecent behavior. I'm not, though.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
So the implicit threat of violence is still there. Carry on then.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:49:44 AM »

Yes. That's what the state is.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »

As with any law. What's your point?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
As with any law. What's your point?

Well. If you have no problem with threats of violence against people based on their clothing choice - not even people who are naked, but simply people who are fully dressed, except that their clothing exposes - not any naked body parts, but another article of clothing - carry on then.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:03:57 PM »
Well. If you have no problem with threats of violence against people based on their clothing choice - not even people who are naked, but simply people who are fully dressed, except that their clothing exposes - not any naked body parts, but another article of clothing - carry on then.

Threats of eventual violence on locality enacted standards of behavior. Not a problem.

We're gonna bruise and bloody you and toss you out of town for saggy pants. A problem.

We're going to fine you, give a chance to rectify the disrespectful behavior and will eventually put you in jail if you don't pay the fine (which may involve bruising and bloodying you if you resist) is fine.

Again, that's what government does. Don't like those rules? Leave Collinsville. Wow, ONEROUS problem there.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 12:06:52 PM »

Well, that's certainly a leap.

The law only applies to someone who exposes more than three vertical inches of their underoos. I'm ok with that.

Any threat of violence beyond that is just the usual treatment one expects for those who flout the law.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »

Again, that's what government does. Don't like those rules? Leave Collinsville. Wow, ONEROUS problem there.

Why does this calculus don't apply elsewhere?

Don't like X - leave the country! No problem.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 12:08:38 PM »
First amendment violation.

This came up in another locality some years ago and the state judge gave the collective busy-bodies a verbal slapping for their efforts. One particular comment by the judge still stands out to me though: "...why would you want them to stop wearing ill-fitting and sagging jeans anyways? It makes it harder for them to run from the police."

Edit: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-09-17-fla-pants_N.htm
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:12:44 PM by kgbsquirrel »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »
Why does this calculus don't apply elsewhere?

Don't like X - leave the country! No problem.

It doesn't apply elsewhere as most countries where that calculus applies don't allow you to leave the country.

I will note for you that that EXACT reason is how this nation (and, in some respects your own) was founded.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »
In other words: you do not have a problem with the violations of individual liberty that exist, say, in Europe, since Europe's Constitution allows them and Europeans are free to leave?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
First amendment violation.

This came up in another locality some years ago and the state judge gave the collective busy-bodies a verbal slapping for their efforts. One particular comment by the judge still stands out to me though: "...why would you want them to stop wearing ill-fitting and sagging jeans anyways? It makes it harder for them to run from the police."

Pretty much this. I'm certainly not opposed to all public standards laws. But "showing too much underwear" is silly. Should women be compelled to have skirts no more than X inches above the knee? No more than Y percentage of cleavage exposed? I somehow imagine that should a Muslim community ever Free State Project a town and make failing to wear a burqa a crime even the most ardent states rights advocates would be unhappy with it.

I fully believe in states rights, but while they are more lenient than the fed.gov's they are not unlimited. But those rights are not unlimited. Utah cannot make Mormonism the official state religion and require non-LDS to pay double taxes. California cannot outright ban all firearms. Montana cannot make it legal to shoot on sight any member of the federal government. And so on and so on. "States rights" is not an excuse for violation of basic rights under color of law.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »
Pretty much this. I'm certainly not opposed to all public standards laws. But "showing too much underwear" is silly. Should women be compelled to have skirts no more than X inches above the knee? No more than Y percentage of cleavage exposed? I somehow imagine that should a Muslim community ever Free State Project a town and make failing to wear a burqa a crime even the most ardent states rights advocates would be unhappy with it.

I fully believe in states rights, but while they are more lenient than the fed.gov's they are not unlimited. But those rights are not unlimited. Utah cannot make Mormonism the official state religion and require non-LDS to pay double taxes. California cannot outright ban all firearms. Montana cannot make it legal to shoot on sight any member of the federal government. And so on and so on. "States rights" is not an excuse for violation of basic rights under color of law.

Wow. Who knew the right to walk around exposing your underwear was a basic human right.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 12:30:16 PM »
There's no enumerated right to wear any specific article of clothing. Can the town mandate being seen in public without a tie illegal on pain of a $50 fine? If not, why?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
Wow. Who knew the right to walk around exposing your underwear was a basic human right.

Would you be comfortable with a majority Muslim community requiring wearing the burqa? What clothing choices are a basic human right, and what are not? Requiring some form of clothing is fine, and reasonable. Having modesty police is not.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »
Would you be comfortable with a majority Muslim community requiring wearing the burqa? What clothing choices are a basic human right, and what are not? Requiring some form of clothing is fine, and reasonable. Having modesty police is not.

I would oppose a burqa requirement. I would not claim they are outside of the power of their locality to do it.

I bolded your contradiction here. Requiring "some form of clothing" is a modesty police. Are you ok with people walking with a**-less chaps? Cupless bras? Sheer pants?

If you are not, what are you, the modesty police?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »
In other words: you do not have a problem with the violations of individual liberty that exist, say, in Europe, since Europe's Constitution allows them and Europeans are free to leave?

I have a problem with every violation of civil liberties, sagging pants included.

Oh, wait, I forgot. Dressing that way is a CHOICE!!!11 so that makes it OK.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
Sagging pants violate your civil liberties?

Is this some kind of magical right to not see things that you find aesthetically displeasing?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
I would oppose a burqa requirement. I would not claim they are outside of the power of their locality to do it.

I bolded your contradiction here. Requiring "some form of clothing" is a modesty police. Are you ok with people walking with a**-less chaps? Cupless bras? Sheer pants?

If you are not, what are you, the modesty police?

You are making the same error the liberatrians do, in the opposite direction. Saying "No possible requirements can be made of public behaviour" is just as much an error as saying "Any requirements can be made and are legal."

I have a problem with every violation of civil liberties, sagging pants included.

Oh, wait, I forgot. Dressing that way is a CHOICE!!!11 so that makes it OK.

Are you seriously saying that being able to see someone's underwear is violating your rights? Really?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 12:40:08 PM »
Sagging pants violate your civil liberties?

Is this some kind of magical right to not see things that you find aesthetically displeasing?

Are you serious? You think this is the only thing I find aesthetically displeasing?