Author Topic: Good sense, reason, decency prevails - liberty intact  (Read 38330 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Good sense, reason, decency prevails - liberty intact
« Reply #200 on: July 28, 2011, 06:40:48 AM »
Well within the state's rights power.

I also happen to approve. I don't relish explaining to a 4 year old what tasteless things some truck owners wish to impose on others.

Again, so long as there are "public" areas, the public has a say in what is acceptable there. Want to drive around with "Truck nuts" on private property? Knock yourself out.

On this logic, could the town ban the truck itself? Say, on the idea 'this is our hippie-lolberal town, and pickup trucks hurt mother Gaia'?

Could the town ban bumper stickers that say REPEAL PUBLIC NUDITY LAWS, DOWN WITH PURITANISM?

Again, obviously legally they might have issues, I'm asking for the moral viewpoint.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #201 on: July 28, 2011, 08:28:53 AM »
(1)On this logic, could the town ban the truck itself? Say, on the idea 'this is our hippie-lolberal town, and pickup trucks hurt mother Gaia'?

(2)Could the town ban bumper stickers that say REPEAL PUBLIC NUDITY LAWS, DOWN WITH PURITANISM?

Again, obviously legally they might have issues, I'm asking for the moral viewpoint.

(1) Of course. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island

(2) There is no obscenity in that statement. Thus, not morally right to ban.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #202 on: July 28, 2011, 08:39:46 AM »

(2) There is no obscenity in that statement. Thus, not morally right to ban.

I thought we could do whatever we wanted? After all you CHOOOOSE! to live in that location?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #203 on: July 28, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »
I thought we could do whatever we wanted? After all you CHOOOOSE! to live in that location?

You didn't ask if they had the power to do that, you asked if it was morally right.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
Given that they're clearly designed to portray human body parts, I wonder how he'd feel if the local elementary schools started celebrating Honen Matsuri.

Clearly, they are designed to portray bull body parts.  Their position on the back of a 4-legged creature (truck) should be obvious.

The original: http://www.bullsballs.com/
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #205 on: July 28, 2011, 10:51:32 AM »
You didn't ask if they had the power to do that, you asked if it was morally right.

Yes, they clearly don't have the power to regulate non-obscene statements. They're limited by the first Amendment. It applies to localities. So do state constitutions.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »
Yes, they clearly don't have the power to regulate non-obscene statements. They're limited by the first Amendment. It applies to localities. So do state constitutions.

Under U.S. law, they don't have the power. I should have said "should have that power".

I think they should. I also think it would be morally wrong to infringe on non-obscene free speech, but that should be a limit placed in constitutions by argreement of the whole, like we have in the United States.

So it is a power that localities should have, but could not morally exercise.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #207 on: July 28, 2011, 08:49:43 PM »

AFAICT, the motor vehicle ban there is simply a part of general "don't be a dumbass" rules.  The part of the island not in the state park is smaller than a lot of city parks; the longest distance you would actually need to travel without leaving the island would be four miles.