Author Topic: What's for dinner  (Read 12290 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: What's for dinner
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »

Plus you get a full on booty shot in the blooper reel
 =D
"i love my captain"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

P5 Guy

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »
Oh, and there is no Mrs P5. Which town?

Hasn't been for two years.
If there is a Mr Smith forgetaboutit!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »

Instead he tells me that my power bill is through the roof because I need to change the filter every two weeks instead of once a month,

You know that's bull*expletive deleted*

futzed around looking at it for five minutes,

He doesn't actually know what he is doing. If he did, then he'd be doing what you hired him to do and not futzing around...

stood to close to me and stared at my chest, and still hasn't done what I asked.

Lazy pig. We had a service guy out here for our compactor/dumpster lift last week that did much the same thing to my boss. He showed up, spent 5 mins topping off the hydraulic fluid, told us we didn't know what we were talking about the dumpster lift being broken, called us liars, and spent the rest of his time on site hitting on my boss (who's married and said so several times to the jackwagon). He didn't want to do his goddamn job of FIXING WHAT HE WAS CALLED TO DO SO.

He went up to Ace and got a new filter and is now back, insists that the coil doesn't need to be cleaned, that the pump is supposed to gurgle for 10 minutes after the unit kicks off (which it seldom does). And he never even went out and looked at the outside unit. 

Since the outside unit was never looked at, and that's where all the business pretty much happens...lazy jackass...

Now he's telling me that a) the coil doesn't need to be cleaned and b) he'll do it anyway (apparently because I'm a demanding female) but can't get to it until next week sometime. And for this I missed ladies night at the range.

Tell him not to bother showing up next week and that you're hiring someone else who actually knows what they are doing and DOES IT PROMPTLY AND PROFESSIONALLY.

I cannot abide by lazy, unprofessional amateur posers...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2011, 12:41:36 AM »
Mrs Smith.

There are two "required veiwing" sstanderds here.

Firefly (+ Serentiy) and Zardoz.

If you can handle Zardoz, you can handle us. Bonus points if you think its funny.

Firefly, we'll you'll understand...

*sings* burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me...

Apparently I've upset the balance of the known APS universe today in not being familiar with Firefly. Will order from Amazon tomorrow and watch as soon as it arrives. Am I required to give a report? And Bluestar, thanks for the pic!  =D

Avenger, I agree. Was very frustrated, but got a referral tonight for someone else who's reliable and professional. Considering the notion of moving onto a boat. I know how to fix things (not all, but many) on a boat.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2011, 09:22:56 AM »
Apparently I've upset the balance of the known APS universe today in not being familiar with Firefly. Will order from Amazon tomorrow and watch as soon as it arrives. Am I required to give a report? And Bluestar, thanks for the pic!  =D

Avenger, I agree. Was very frustrated, but got a referral tonight for someone else who's reliable and professional. Considering the notion of moving onto a boat. I know how to fix things (not all, but many) on a boat.

MrsSmith, we are just giving you a difficult time....it's okay....I really didn't know about Firefly until I got here as well...I watched it and really liked it, although Netfilx has it in broadcast order and not the order it was intended.

Re:  Pig of a HVAC "repair"man.....that is totally *expletive deleted*ing unacceptable.  I hate when you go to an "expert" and tell them what you know is going on and they totally disregard what you have said.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
I actually watched Zardoz on TV last night.  Other than the boobage I'm failing to see how it became something anyone here would be interested in.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »
I actually watched Zardoz on TV last night.  Other than the boobage I'm failing to see how it became something anyone here would be interested in.

It's the ironic, so-bad-it's-fun-to-make-fun-of quality, I think.

I haven't watched it either.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »
Oh, and there is no Mrs P5. Which town?

Hasn't been for two years.
If there is a Mr Smith forgetaboutit!

She is telling you that she isn't a Mrs.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2011, 12:31:58 PM »
Apparently I've upset the balance of the known APS universe today in not being familiar with Firefly. Will order from Amazon tomorrow and watch as soon as it arrives. Am I required to give a report? And Bluestar, thanks for the pic!  =D

Yes....and your topic will be "Why the master of the Firefly-class vessel Serenity is known as "Captain Tightpants"....and why that is a good thing"......

BSL will be grading your paper.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
MrsSmith, we are just giving you a difficult time....it's okay....I really didn't know about Firefly until I got here as well...I watched it and really liked it, although Netfilx has it in broadcast order and not the order it was intended.

Re:  Pig of a HVAC "repair"man.....that is totally *expletive deleted*ing unacceptable.  I hate when you go to an "expert" and tell them what you know is going on and they totally disregard what you have said.

Adively, did you just cut me some slack? Was that a reassuring pat on the virtual shoulder I felt?  =) Thank you. I'll still go ahead and order it. I have some credit at Amazon to use anyway. And yes, seeker, I'll send BSL a report for grading.

As to repairman, he's out. But now do you guys see why I was reluctant to call an electrician about the light fixture? For the same reason I learned everything I could about cars when I was younger. Usually just the fact that I've done my homework and know what I'm talking about is enough to keep them on the right path, but there are some men who think women can't possibly know what they're talking about and I got one. I could have been wrong, the coil may not have been dirty, but the unit is working harder than it should and this is one potential trouble spot. It isn't hot in here, so I'm not uncomfortalbe, but I can't afford too many more $500 power bills either. Just frustrating. Also makes me really glad I'm not a man. I don't know how you all deal with all this "fixing everything that's broken" crap all the time without losing your patience. Every time I turn around lately something's broken and I'm getting tired of it! Of course it's probably from being neglected for so long wihen the husband was supposed to be maintaining things. But I'm not bitter.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »
Adively, did you just cut me some slack? Was that a reassuring pat on the virtual shoulder I felt?  =) Thank you. I'll still go ahead and order it. I have some credit at Amazon to use anyway. And yes, seeker, I'll send BSL a report for grading.

As to repairman, he's out. But now do you guys see why I was reluctant to call an electrician about the light fixture? For the same reason I learned everything I could about cars when I was younger. Usually just the fact that I've done my homework and know what I'm talking about is enough to keep them on the right path, but there are some men who think women can't possibly know what they're talking about and I got one. I could have been wrong, the coil may not have been dirty, but the unit is working harder than it should and this is one potential trouble spot. It isn't hot in here, so I'm not uncomfortalbe, but I can't afford too many more $500 power bills either. Just frustrating. Also makes me really glad I'm not a man. I don't know how you all deal with all this "fixing everything that's broken" crap all the time without losing your patience. Every time I turn around lately something's broken and I'm getting tired of it! Of course it's probably from being neglected for so long wihen the husband was supposed to be maintaining things. But I'm not bitter.

How big a house?  I know the wife is bitching about the electric bill because it is too damn hot in Oklahoma.  One thing to maybe think about if you haven't already done so is the putting a couple of turbine vents on the roof to pull hot air out of the attic space.  Also look into the duct work, we have been told that we might want to invest in an additional blower to help push things along due to the size of hour house.  But maybe 280 can chime in, I think he is a HVAC guy and can help with some ideas.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2011, 04:05:26 PM »
Yes....and your topic will be "Why the master of the Firefly-class vessel Serenity is known as "Captain Tightpants"....and why that is a good thing"......

BSL will be grading your paper.....  =D

Better study hard. I've watched every episode and the movie more times then I can remember, plus the special features, eastereggs and all the commentaries, read the book, read the comic book prequal to the movie, and have the special edition of Serenity.

=D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 04:06:14 PM »
I could have been wrong, the coil may not have been dirty, but the unit is working harder than it should and this is one potential trouble spot.

Even if you were/are actually wrong about the coils, he could have done a basic inspection to make sure everything is in good repair instead of feeding you a line of BS and leering at you.

I don't know how you all deal with all this "fixing everything that's broken" crap all the time without losing your patience. Every time I turn around lately something's broken and I'm getting tired

We just get it done. Trust me, my whole job consists of fixing everything that breaks, so I have to just go with the flow instead of letting it bother me.

I do get annoyed, however, when all the "retired electricians", "vacationing plumbers", and "former carpenters" hang around the campground at the site I'm trying to work on offering up their "advice" when they don't have a damn clue of what they are talking about. Especially the "retired electricians". Who tell me to "stick a bigger breaker in the box". WTF?

but there are some men who think women can't possibly know what they're talking about and I got one.

They'll take your pocketbook for a ride without feeling a twinge of guilt, too. *expletive deleted*s...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »
For what it's worth, my electric bills are running about $400 this summer.  And I *know* that the equipment is operating as it should be (Going to school for HVAC tech.)

It's just 1) hotter then usual here, 2) undersized ductwork, 3) not enough attic ventilation.

Glad I have a roommate to offset some of the costs.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »
How big a house?  I know the wife is bitching about the electric bill because it is too damn hot in Oklahoma.  One thing to maybe think about if you haven't already done so is the putting a couple of turbine vents on the roof to pull hot air out of the attic space.  Also look into the duct work, we have been told that we might want to invest in an additional blower to help push things along due to the size of hour house.  But maybe 280 can chime in, I think he is a HVAC guy and can help with some ideas.

The house is only 1400 sq ft, I do have attic vents, and the house is cool - well, when I'm sitting at my desk working (or playing on APS) in shorts and a light top it's comfortable enough with the ceiling fan on. I have it set on 80 (I know, that would kill some of you) and it's 102 outside right now, so it's doing what it's supposed to do - I think it's actually 81 in here. (When I take the dogs out and come back in it feels like heaven!) I know 20 degrees cooler is about as much as anyone can expect of an older unit. But aside from fridge, laptop, adding machine, radio, and one ceiling fan, nothing in the house is running accept the AC. If I get it checked out - completely checked out, not a halfass job of it - and it's just because the unit is old, then fine. I'll have to figure something else out. But I'm pretty sure my adding machine isn't costing me $500 a month to run.
Avenger - I hear you. I'm sure you probably get a lot of the same thing I get just due to your age. Must be nice to be a middle-aged white guy and know everything, huh? :)

No offense to all you MAWGs here...  =D

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »
Were you in this house last summer? If so, what was the average power bill then? (it isn't like this summer is drastically different than last year in the southeast)

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »
Yes, and with record setting high temps, deadbeat on the couch running every appliance in the house, A/C set at 74, teen son at home with media running constantly, highest bill was $425 - far more usage and over $100 less per bill. Which is why I'm pretty sure it needs to be looked at.

Oh, and almost forgot this:
Better study hard. I've watched every episode and the movie more times then I can remember, plus the special features, eastereggs and all the commentaries, read the book, read the comic book prequal to the movie, and have the special edition of Serenity.

=D
But no pressure, right?  :P

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2011, 06:05:39 PM »
Yeah, then I think you're definitley on the right track with taking a closer look at the A/C unit.

P5 Guy

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
Just had shrimp in a white wine tomato, basil and garlic sauce on pasta. And I used up the feta cheese and a couple slices of Italian bread.
Now clean up.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2011, 12:54:03 AM »
Yes, and with record setting high temps, deadbeat on the couch running every appliance in the house, A/C set at 74, teen son at home with media running constantly, highest bill was $425 - far more usage and over $100 less per bill. Which is why I'm pretty sure it needs to be looked at.

Probably something you did a long time ago, but I"ll say it anyway.  Look at your power bill and make sure its the kwh that have gone up and not just the $/kwh.  Costs are "necessarially skyrocketing" for a lot of people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2011, 01:14:31 AM »
Every time I turn around lately something's broken and I'm getting tired of it! Of course it's probably from being neglected for so long wihen the husband was supposed to be maintaining things. But I'm not bitter.

A few years back when the kids were younger, I'd swear that everything that wasn't falling apart was being actively destroyed.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »
Probably something you did a long time ago, but I"ll say it anyway.  Look at your power bill and make sure its the kwh that have gone up and not just the $/kwh.  Costs are "necessarially skyrocketing" for a lot of people.

Yep, this.  One thing you can do is make check see that there are a pile of leaves or millions of dead bugs or a bunch of trash in the outside unit.  If you have an air compressor (I know I'm taking a big leap here) or simply a garden hose and clean out the coil yourself.   Then if it's a problem, well, I'm out of ideas.

"280Plus to white courtesy phone, please.  280plus to the white phone."

(If he doesn't pick up, send him PM.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.