Author Topic: I'm a lumber jack and I'm OK  (Read 4300 times)

sumpnz

• friend
I'm a lumber jack and I'm OK
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:54:54 PM »
Pushed over my first tree today.  We've got a backhoe on site for the week, mostly to fix the driveway and do other grading work on the property.

But, this morning I went out and dug around the trunk to bust up the roots.  Took a couple tries of pushing with the equipement, then digging out some more around it, but it finally went over.  Probably a 40' tall Alder that was really 2 trees that had grown together, and then one had Y'd off with a another big trunk.

Should get at least 2-3 cords between that Alder and a few smallish Birch trees I'd cut down the day before.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: I'm a lumber jack and I'm OK
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:39:33 PM »
Pushed over my first tree today.  We've got a backhoe on site for the week, mostly to fix the driveway and do other grading work on the property.

But, this morning I went out and dug around the trunk to bust up the roots.  Took a couple tries of pushing with the equipement, then digging out some more around it, but it finally went over.  Probably a 40' tall Alder that was really 2 trees that had grown together, and then one had Y'd off with a another big trunk.

Should get at least 2-3 cords between that Alder and a few smallish Birch trees I'd cut down the day before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G880gxjj9dI [popcorn]
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:25:57 AM »
Pushed over my first tree today

Be very careful with that...cutting the roots by digging and pushing over is an efficient method, but be very careful. Does the backhoe have a FOPS (Falling Object Protective Structure) canopy or cab or is it just a normal ROPS canopy/cab

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:48:40 AM »
"We" used this to clear a 1/4 acre of trees and brush to expand my garden this spring.

Basically turned a bunch of this

into this
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:49:11 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
Not a lumberjack until you mark a spot and then cut down the tree with a saw or aze so that it falls exactly on your mark   :P

Or for more sport you could drop it right between two brand new pickups  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
I noticed the crying hippy talking about "driving" by trees and bemoaning that they were cut down or dying.  He's a bigot!  Why doesn't he cry over the oil that he murders by turning it into gas to power his car.  I talked to my oil today and he says that turning him into gas is a travesty and he won't stand for it anymore.  He plans to vapor lock anyone who does.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »
Not a lumberjack until you mark a spot and then cut down the tree with a saw or aze so that it falls exactly on your mark   :P

Or for more sport you could drop it right between two brand new pickups  =D

double points if one truck is yours or your bosses   triple score if truck is wifes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »
Okay my question is how many plants did they kill getting out to the area to cry about dead trees.

Grampster he probably drives a Prius, so that makes it okay.  /sarcasm
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:59:36 PM »
About the worst I've ever heard were the enviro-idiots who protested the logging of fire killed trees over in the Bitterroot.

They claimed that it was a travesty to desecrate the dead bodies of the trees, and adding insult to injury.

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 10:27:20 PM »
Maybe the greenies would be OK with tree-cutting, if they fell on humans. Maybe if they were wealthy white Republicans. Or, better yet, babies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 11:07:12 PM »
Be very careful with that...cutting the roots by digging and pushing over is an efficient method, but be very careful. Does the backhoe have a FOPS (Falling Object Protective Structure) canopy or cab or is it just a normal ROPS canopy/cab

It has a solid roof on it.  Had quite a few sticks that broke off while I was pushing on it.  None of them fell all that close to me, but it was nice knowing I had some degree of protection.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 01:07:50 AM »
It has a solid roof on it.  Had quite a few sticks that broke off while I was pushing on it.  None of them fell all that close to me, but it was nice knowing I had some degree of protection.

Dead branches and tops are killers, so keep an eye out for 'em.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
Dead branches and tops are killers, so keep an eye out for 'em.

IIRC they are called Widow Makers.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 11:49:34 PM »
Well, no more trees coming down for a day or two.  SWMBO's step-dad broke the back hoe.  Actually it looked like a fatigue failure of the pin that holds the bucket on.  Looks like we won't be charged for the repair even though there was quite a bit of colateral damage to the lugs and bushings, and whatnot.  Apparently he was in between a couple roots of a stump that needed to come out curling the bucket to break them when it let go.