Author Topic: Professional courtesy  (Read 6080 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Professional courtesy
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
Mob of ethnic yoots descend on a 7-11 and steal a bunch of candy and drinks and ice cream.  Clerk pushes the panic button to alert police that a robbery is in progress.  Police wait until they leave, then don't even bother to take a copy of the very clear store video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHyug2PvpB8

Police captain interviewed at the end says "We're going to take this very seriously"  ;/
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Professional courtesy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
What profit is there in catching thugs?

Writing tickets is where the money is.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »

It comes from the top down.  My university police had very strict rules to ignore as much actual crime as possible.    Safety statistics are a huge selling point to parents.   More than a few officers hated the unofficial policy, but had to follow it.   

Go straight to the top and put blame where it is due.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:06:05 PM »
When I got the police involved with an attempted rape at the place I was being a security guard for, suddenly away went my benefits and hours.  Guard working the camera and radios seemed to be working to help the guy get away.  Not only directing folks away from the flight path but making sure the cameras only caught the back of the guy.  I've long thought wild incompetence, but do now sometimes wonder if he was just more of a company man minimizing possible publicity exposure. 

Also, just watched Freakanomics last night [half of it anyways].  Reason the solve rates for crimes is so high in Japan is because they don't record any crimes they don't think they can solve.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
When I got the police involved with an attempted rape at the place I was being a security guard for, suddenly away went my benefits and hours.  Guard working the camera and radios seemed to be working to help the guy get away.  Not only directing folks away from the flight path but making sure the cameras only caught the back of the guy.  I've long thought wild incompetence, but do now sometimes wonder if he was just more of a company man minimizing possible publicity exposure. 

Also, just watched Freakanomics last night [half of it anyways].  Reason the solve rates for crimes is so high in Japan is because they don't record any crimes they don't think they can solve.
Also because they torture confessions out of people from what I've heard.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
i'm feeling a typical round eye level of understanding of japanese culture/society
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »

That....and, like Great Britain, crimes are not recorded unless the perp is convicted....unlike the US where the crime is recorded when charges are filed.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
i'm feeling a typical round eye level of understanding of japanese culture/society

That's racist!

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »

If you feel they're wrong on some point, enlighten us as to why. This kind of vague sniping doesn't really add anything to the discussion.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 11:36:14 PM »
If you feel they're wrong on some point, enlighten us as to why. This kind of vague sniping doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

I'm feeling a typical spacemannish level of your understanding of CSD's posting proclivities.

You;re probably feeling a typical earth-bound level o understanding from me.  And my dogs.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 03:43:50 AM »
Mob of ethnic yoots descend on a 7-11 and steal a bunch of candy and drinks and ice cream.  Clerk pushes the panic button to alert police that a robbery is in progress.  Police wait until they leave, then don't even bother to take a copy of the very clear store video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHyug2PvpB8

Police captain interviewed at the end says "We're going to take this very seriously"  ;/

Did the news report censor the interviewee around :35?

"You can see from the video, about 25 to 35 . . . *strange pause with a click* . . . eenagers came into the store. . . "

(I left the t off of "teenagers" on purpose, that's how it sounded)
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 07:47:24 AM »
first article is the best

http://www.jameswebb.com/articles/parade-japaneseprisons.html

http://www.slate.com/id/2288514/

http://www.britsoccrim.org/volume6/008.pdf

in 1923 the kanto earthquake a wall at the max security prison fell down.  no one left
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:25 AM »
. . .  Police wait until they leave, then don't even bother to take a copy of the very clear store video. . . .
Reminds me of one of the riots in L.A. in which police appeared to be standing by, simply watching, as stores were being looted; in essence, they were the looters' security detail, there to make sure no shopkeepers would harm them.   :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsKGhLdZuQ&feature=related

That was interesting. They didn't look like they came ready to kill though, more to just scare people away. I don't even know if legally you can shoot people in that sort of situation.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.