Author Topic: Interesting Idea From XKCD  (Read 5068 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Interesting Idea From XKCD
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
This XKCD comic suggest a rig for 3D cloud viewing, and also mentions the problem of depth perception for astronomical observation.

http://xkcd.com/941/

I've been thinking about the possibility of doing this for astronomy, and I don't think it would work.  I think the parallax would be too small for any perceivable results.  I was wondering which object would be best for camera convergence but I don't think it would work for anything but the moon.

Any thoughts?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Interesting Idea From XKCD
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:30:02 PM »
How hard would it be to program the two cameras to create a 3D image like the one created by the twin cameras of the LG 3D phone? And then, uh, feed it into the screen of the LG 3D phone?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
Wouldn't crossing the cameras over like shown yield an odd result?
(in the diagram, the right camera is in front of the left eye, and visa versa)

As for astronomy, well, the unit parsec (a little over three light years) is "parallax second of arc" meaning an object viewed from opposite sides of earths orbit around the sun (roughly 186 million miles) will differ in apparent position by one arc second.  Now, a human eye's resolution is about 60 arc seconds, so that means with a 60-80x telescope, viewing images six months apart, you just might be able to determine the parallax of the nearest star.   Basically...moon, yes, but stars are far.

One arc second (our 60-80x telescope) of parallax on the moon would require a baseline (separation between cameras) of about 3/4 of a mile.  So if you put two web-cam equipped spotting scopes that far apart, (or farther, you would need 100-150 miles to see the moon as a sphere) you could see it in 3-d...barely.  Anything else is too far, and why we stopped using parallax to judge celestial distances beyond a few 10's of light years.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
That's what I figured.  I guess I'll stick to using Celestia to zoom around.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:04:33 PM »
I've known about separating the cameras in stereoscopic photography to increase the depth perception effect, but never heard of it done to this scale.  Pretty cool
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:42 PM »
http://dorigo.wordpress.com/2006/02/16/libido-at-40/

Expensive, but dual-mounted refractors made into an overgrown set of binoculars will actually give you some of the "feeling".
I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »
http://dorigo.wordpress.com/2006/02/16/libido-at-40/

Expensive, but dual-mounted refractors made into an overgrown set of binoculars will actually give you some of the "feeling".

That's not a set of binoculars.

Now THAT'S a set of binoculars.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 02:05:02 AM »
What could be so interesting on the floor?  :lol:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »
What could be so interesting on the floor?  :lol:

They're reverse binoculars.  They're so big, that you have to look down the opposite way the binoculars are pointing, because it's too much effort to get them up high enough to look through them the normal way.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »
Well, they're a pair of Dobsonian reflectors, and you always have to stare into the eyepiece near the top aperture of those.

Cool concept, however, extraordinarily limited potential to find and track objects if you have to drag the chair around and stand up/squat etc. depending on the elevation of the object you're trying to view.
I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 09:16:52 PM »
Well, they're a pair of Dobsonian reflectors, and you always have to stare into the eyepiece near the top aperture of those.

Cool concept, however, extraordinarily limited potential to find and track objects if you have to drag the chair around and stand up/squat etc. depending on the elevation of the object you're trying to view.

That, too, but they could have just had the eyepieces pointing the other way (same position, just have the 90 degree angles rotated 180 degrees the other way).  Except for having to make sure everyone's head would fit between the telescope bodies, and the fact that they'd have to mount it up higher, which would take more effort to set up and would be much less stable.

Or they could have gone with a Nasmyth telescope, which would eliminate mounting problems that doing that with a Newtonian would.  Only problem would, again, be the unstable high mount and a longer focal length, the latter of which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you aren't taking pictures through it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:29:41 PM by Regolith »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »
I've seen some really impressive binocular rigs where the chair for the observer is part of the whole T&E mount.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »
At least the neighbors won't think you're looking in their windows.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »
First time I got a sense of depth perception in space was when I watched Jupiter's moons orbit over several periods.  I really got a sense of the little balls swinging around on strings.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
Putting the cameras 100 yards across simulates the scale of a person with a face 100 yards between eyeballs.  That's enough to make the clouds seem smaller.

How far apart do the cameras need to be to allow you to perceive depth between the stars?

Lets take as a round number 3 inches as a normal eye separation.  If we put a camera on either side of the country, roughly 3000 miles apart, the scale would seem to suggest the moon could appear to be (200,000 / 1000) = 200 inches away, and the rest of the stars would seem to be out in infinity I imagine.  At that scale, mars could appear as close as (36,000,000 / 1000) inches, or just 3000 feet way!  That is certainly close enough for your brain to perceive depth against the stars.

Let's see, what is the moon in diameter?  Roughly 2200 miles?  If we follow our 1000 miles to an inch scale, the moon would appear the size of a say, a tennis ball hovering 15 feet away.  Mars could be a street light as close as under a mile, and the rest of the stars would probably still be hung on their blanket out in infinity.

Here's another idea, take two images of the stars 6 months apart.  The distance between your eyes would be roughly 183 million miles.

Nope, nope, that's not right.  Different sets of stars would be visible at those times.  You would have to go it at the spring solstice and the fall solstice, one at dawn and one at sunset.  I'm not sure you can get stars to  appear on camera though at those times.  Perhaps if you were up high enough in elevation?

Well, I guess you could go like 3 or 4 months apart instead of six, that way you can time your shots for nighttime.  1 month after fall solstice and shoot at 8pm local standard time.  Then come back 1 month before spring solstice and shoot at 4am local standard time.  I figure you' could just shoot straight at Polaris for both shots, rotate one of them 180 degrees.

Hell I am doing this!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage