Author Topic: Spaceships powered by moonbeams and pixie dust?  (Read 5016 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Spaceships powered by moonbeams and pixie dust?
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »
http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/nasa-picks-five-companies-study-solar-electri

I've heard of the mylar sail theory... never heard of generating thrust purely via electricity created with solar panels.  Or electricity in general.

Birdman, you're smart.  Can you 'splayn, please?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Spaceships powered by moonbeams and pixie dust?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »
If you can generate a magnetic field around your "ship" then the solar wind will blow you around like a soap bubble.

Not sure how to blow home, though ....  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
Solar powered ion|plasma rockets?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:39:20 PM »
Just like a hot air balloon, eh?

No chase vehicles out there, though.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »
This is electric propulsion (ion/plasma engines).  See my previous posts on associated technology.

However, if you google "magsail" or "electrodynamic tethers" you can see two examples of purely electric propulsion systems that don't use any internal reaction mass.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:42:49 PM »
Mainly useful inside of Mars orbit. Otherwise the solar panel size needs to be way too large to be practical.

This probably came up/out now in response to the news that the DOE has no more Plutonium or funding to make/process any more for RTG's to power missions for the time being. Even Mars gear needs Pu for keeping stuff like rovers warm, even stuff on the Moon could use it for thermal management during the 2 week long night.

Of course we could just build actual Uranium reactors then... The Europa orbiters/landers/drillers/subs will need them anyway right?

Although the magsail and ED tether might have some use in/around Jovian space maybe? Once the probe got there?
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
Did someone say ion engine?  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »
Bah, you forgot the Twin.  And that model doesn't have any shielding, anyway.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 01:26:43 AM »
Mainly useful inside of Mars orbit. Otherwise the solar panel size needs to be way too large to be practical.

This probably came up/out now in response to the news that the DOE has no more Plutonium or funding to make/process any more for RTG's to power missions for the time being. Even Mars gear needs Pu for keeping stuff like rovers warm, even stuff on the Moon could use it for thermal management during the 2 week long night.

Of course we could just build actual Uranium reactors then... The Europa orbiters/landers/drillers/subs will need them anyway right?

Although the magsail and ED tether might have some use in/around Jovian space maybe? Once the probe got there?

Shame we can take Solyndra and launch it into space, it would be like pissing throwing $535 million into space....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
Did someone say ion engine?  =D

Is that built around the rear axle from a 1948 International dump truck ....?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin