Author Topic: $16 Muffins Found at Justice Department Meetings  (Read 8184 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: $16 Muffins Found at Justice Department Meetings
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »
Face it, the muffins were just really hot  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 12:27:40 PM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/10/28/141802661/watchdogs-take-back-claim-about-16-muffins?ft=1&f=1001

So maybe this whole muffin thing was just a big misunderstanding.......

"Now the watchdogs say they were wrong for calling out the department for spending too much on muffins. "We regret the error in our original report," auditors say (a copy of the revised report is posted below)."

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/10/28/141802661/watchdogs-take-back-claim-about-16-muffins?ft=1&f=1001

So maybe this whole muffin thing was just a big misunderstanding.......

"Now the watchdogs say they were wrong for calling out the department for spending too much on muffins. "We regret the error in our original report," auditors say (a copy of the revised report is posted below)."
Justice officials have said they were already taking action before the original report was released. Deputy Attorney General Jim Cole has said conference costs are way down this year.
Well, this just makes me giddy with joy!

Of course, I am sure that office copier costs are up by the same amount due to creative accounting!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »
Several decades ago when my Dad was still working, he said they quit displaying at trade shows held at Chicago's McCormick Place - the facility insisted that you would have to hire the on-site union electricians for everything, even to change a light bulb in your display.

Even though they were on-site, you STILL were billed for round/trip travel time from wherever their home office was, mileage, two (2) electricians, fuel surcharge, etc. It could easily run $500.

To change an <expletive deleted> light bulb you could walk over to and change yourself in 30 seconds.

Exhibitors used to watch out for union "observers" and change their own bulbs . . . but then, overnight, bulbs started disappearing from displays.  Bleeping crooks.  [ar15]

I used to be involved in a publishing company that exhibited at least once a year at McCormick.  Amen to all you say here.  The place was a shameless cathedral of cold-blooded exploitation by the unions.  All rather ironic given that the trade show involved was focused on arguably the most competitive industry in the world.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.