Author Topic: Walking dead season 2 tonight  (Read 71607 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Walking dead season 2 tonight
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 02:50:26 PM »
http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead/video#!type_minisode/season_2

the back story on the park, torso crawler from season 1
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

erictank

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 05:46:23 PM »
Walking dead season 2 premiers tonight at 9pm est.

I'm currently watching reruns form last year.
Here is an observation from the current episode.

They are on this mystical journey to get a bag of guns. Ok so there are 350 million known guns in the US, there are 307 million people. If most are now zombies (zombies don't use guns) there would be a *expletive deleted* load of guns lying around. No need to go looking for the bag they had. Plus they are in Georgia, were 40 percent of all people have at least one. So in theory there are more guns lying around than dead people. There are 15 major military bases in Georgia, I thing the pickings would be better there.

They knew where that bag o'guns was, and that they were all functional and safe to use, being sheriff's-dept.-issue.  Might make up for a lot, as opposed to having to crawl through many houses (with potential for exposure to hidden walkers in each and every one) to try to acquire a rag-bag collection of dissimilar weapons.

Took 'em *WAY* too long to acquire quiet hand weapons, though.  One thought I had, and continue to have, was that they needed to hit up a sporting-goods store for crossbows and arrows, maybe aluminum bats, find a bunch of crowbars, things like that.  Make boar spears, too, even.  Firearms would be useful and at least occasionally necessary for survival, post-apocalypse - but they're *LOUD*.  We've already seen that it can be REALLY handy to not make enough noise to draw every walker within 10 miles to your location.

The behind-the-scenes stuff on the Season 1 disc was cool, if you haven't seen it - they even teach you how to do zombie makeup with commonly-available supplies.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »
I will claim some ignorance here, what network?  With the past couple of years preparing for and being on a deployment haven't had much time to keep up with my regular shows much less "new" ones I hadn't heard of.  Sounds like I need to find season one and watch it.

Its on AMC & is based on a graphic novel-yes do find season one, being up to date on Zombie issues is critical.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »
They knew where that bag o'guns was, and that they were all functional and safe to use, being sheriff's-dept.-issue.  Might make up for a lot, as opposed to having to crawl through many houses (with potential for exposure to hidden walkers in each and every one) to try to acquire a rag-bag collection of dissimilar weapons.

Took 'em *WAY* too long to acquire quiet hand weapons, though.  One thought I had, and continue to have, was that they needed to hit up a sporting-goods store for crossbows and arrows, maybe aluminum bats, find a bunch of crowbars, things like that.  Make boar spears, too, even.  Firearms would be useful and at least occasionally necessary for survival, post-apocalypse - but they're *LOUD*.  We've already seen that it can be REALLY handy to not make enough noise to draw every walker within 10 miles to your location.

The behind-the-scenes stuff on the Season 1 disc was cool, if you haven't seen it - they even teach you how to do zombie makeup with commonly-available supplies.

Besides the bag of guns, there was a radio in the bag and deputy good guy had promised to use it to contact the man & his son in the first episode.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 07:25:45 PM »
I don't currently own any archery equipment. :P

Chris

You'll probably be able to find some after the zombies come.  Of course, a hilljack like you should have a crossbow already....  :-*

I keep thinking...

My kingdom for a suppressed Ruger 10/22 and a *expletive deleted*load of Hotlips magazines.

Hell, even unsuppressed, a 10/22 is a crap load quieter than almost any centerfire pistol/shotgun/rifle.  Guess I'd better stock up on mags and ammo!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 07:28:50 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »
Just watched it, and ho-hum sums the episode up.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 07:37:20 PM »
Forget guns and armored vehicles. These aren't fast or smart zombies.

For this type of zombie, give me a snow blower...
http://youtu.be/-4d31XgzGYk

At worst, you might need to weld on some glass protection armor/covering.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
Hey, that "snowblower" worked against vampires with a guy riding shotgun. Shuffle zombies should be cake.  :cool:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 10:19:48 PM »
Forget guns and armored vehicles. These aren't fast or smart zombies.

For this type of zombie, give me a snow blower...
http://youtu.be/-4d31XgzGYk

At worst, you might need to weld on some glass protection armor/covering.

Wow good mines think alike. I say if your going to be driving around might as well be thinning the herd.
Those big blowers have serious HP and prob burn a lot of fuel.
Maybe an older tractor w/ a combine. Easier to repair and keep running.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »
Last night's Season 2 premiere episode of AMC's The Walking Dead delivered more adults in the 18-49 demo (and 25-54) than any other basic cable drama in TV history.

With 7.3 total million viewers (11 million total for the night), the episode "What Lies Ahead" drew in about 36-38% more than the Season 1 average.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »

Yeah, it was a bit of Bear Grylls pissy gear-a-thon.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
Hey, that "snowblower" worked against vampires with a guy riding shotgun. Shuffle zombies should be cake.  :cool:
If you're thinking of what I'm thinking, they weren't vampires, they were vulkodlak.  ;)

A suppressed .22, a good perch, plenty of ammo, and a target-rich environment . . . zombie hunter nirvana.  :cool:

(Hmmm . . . shouldn't there have been more of a zombie crowd by the church with the bells on the PA system?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 02:17:58 PM »
I want to know why no one has tried molotov firebombs against groups of zombies...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 02:19:51 PM »
I want to know why no one has tried molotov firebombs against groups of zombies...

Fuel is more useful in vehicles and you don't want a bunch of walking torches around.

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 02:22:25 PM »
I wonder if it makes any sense to deliberately hunt zombies by use of traps?

Consider:

Zombies can't climb trees.

Put a guy in a tree stand with a Mosin rifle and a few cases of ammo. He can shoot the nearest zombie.

Sound of shot attracts more zombies. Shoot them all (by their hundreds) like targets at a range until you run out of ammo or get tired or whatnot. Then have a compatriot lure the zombies elsewhere and evacuate.

Do this in an organized fashion and you can dezombify entire areas and then loot them for goods.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 03:49:14 PM »
i have plans for a zombie trap with the trash shredder from "30 days of Nights" at the end of the labyrinth

you could also "live trap" 'em in dumpsters and burn them for fuel

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
Fuel is more useful in vehicles and you don't want a bunch of walking torches around.

Chris

There's more than one suitable zombie cooking fuel that's not useful for fueling a truck.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 06:59:53 PM »
There's more than one suitable zombie cooking fuel that's not useful for fueling a truck.

Depends on the vehicle. My truck has a multi-fuel engine and can burn anything from straight motor oil to gasoline. I suppose that E-85 and other crap lighter/dryer than gasoline would be fair game for zombie disposal though.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »
This is why the shuffle zombie is soo boring.

A bunch of idiots with bats and shotguns seem to survive. But an armored division operating in open fields can't seem to hold them off. Really?  :facepalm:

In the 1968 Night of the Living Dead, the unorganized militia and police had the shuffle zombies under control by morning.

If you're thinking of what I'm thinking, they weren't vampires, they were vulkodlak.  ;)

This is what made me think of the snow blower too. My favorite book in the series so far.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 08:47:39 PM »
This is why the shuffle zombie is soo boring.

A bunch of idiots with bats and shotguns seem to survive. But an armored division operating in open fields can't seem to hold them off. Really?  :facepalm:

In the 1968 Night of the Living Dead, the unorganized militia and police had the shuffle zombies under control by morning.

This is what made me think of the snow blower too. My favorite book in the series so far.

Loved every bit of that book, especially the snow blower.   :laugh:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 12:28:56 AM »
Loved every bit of that book, especially the snow blower.   :laugh:

?? what book???

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 02:00:33 AM »
?? what book???

Monster Hunter International

3rd book.....Alpha

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 01:35:10 AM »
Monster Hunter International

3rd book.....Alpha

oh yeah, I remember Larry from the good old days when the high road was the high road

I've been meaning to get a hold of his books.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 08:39:53 AM »
oh yeah, I remember Larry from the good old days when the high road was the high road

I've been meaning to get a hold of his books.

You have too.  But be warned, they will suck you in and when you finish you will want to read the next book.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 11:13:10 AM »
You have too.  But be warned, they will suck you in and when you finish you will want to read the next book.

With much wailing and gnashing of teeth when there is no longer a next one and you've got to wait!  But that does of course follow the fist pumping from the endings and impatience is known to vary.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.