Author Topic: Smart to Release Pickup  (Read 15344 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Smart to Release Pickup
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »
Mahindra almost brought one over, and I've heard those same rumors about the F-150 for about 5 years now since they first announced plans for the 2009 model year. I'll believe it when I see it.

I saw a bunch of Mahindra pickups when visiting my wife's family in South America a year ago. They are NOT Ranger-size. They're nearly as big as an F-150, and about as ugly as warts on a toad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 06:41:01 PM »
that could be a fun weekend escape vehicle, or a way to commute to within a cities bicycle range and then park for free on the edge

Weekend escape? Maybe for one person, with luggage in the passenger seat. With two people, luggage goes in the back, and you need a secure, weather-proof box in the back. Otherwise, you must wait for the weather to cooperate, and you either don't stop until you get to where you're staying the night, or you put your luggage inside the vehicle when you do.

I have played the latter game with my pitifully small, but much larger than the Smart pickup there, Tacoma. It is frustrating. I would kill severely beat someone with a large fish to get back into a full-size pickup.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »
That's gheyer than two boys *expletive deleted*ing while watching a Twilight marathon.

FTFY

I'd be interested in a 1/2 ton pickup with a turbo-diesel, long bed, 2 door extended cab and 4X4, manual 5 speed transmission.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
FTFY

I'd be interested in a 1/2 ton pickup with a turbo-diesel, long bed, 2 door extended cab and 4X4, manual 5 speed transmission.

A 2500 HD (or 250 Super Duty as Ford calls it), in my opinion, is worth the extra few thousand dollars for the beefier frame, drivetrain, and monster brakes, even if you aren't sure you'll need them. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »
Doctor friend of mine calls those teeny little cars ODV's.   Organ Donor Vehicles. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »
Are there youtube videos of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j9RqljSJAQ&feature=related

Offset head-on at 40MPH with a Mercedes.

Notice the clown car doesn't just decelerate in the crash, it changes direction, goes airborne, and spins. (IIRC, they said it spun 540 degrees in the air.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
A 2500 HD (or 250 Super Duty as Ford calls it), in my opinion, is worth the extra few thousand dollars for the beefier frame, drivetrain, and monster brakes, even if you aren't sure you'll need them. 

It ain't the purchase price - it's the $4/gal diesel, or whatever it gets up to by next year or the year after. :(

I'd still like a pickup - even a half ton - that could get 30-40 mpg.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »
I'd get one to put in back of my truck....that way, instead of a spare tire, I'd have a spare vehicle to get me down the road....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 12:00:06 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j9RqljSJAQ&feature=related

Offset head-on at 40MPH with a Mercedes.

Notice the clown car doesn't just decelerate in the crash, it changes direction, goes airborne, and spins. (IIRC, they said it spun 540 degrees in the air.)
The emblem around 1:30 was a nice touch
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 12:15:32 PM »
It ain't the purchase price - it's the $4/gal diesel, or whatever it gets up to by next year or the year after. :(

I'd still like a pickup - even a half ton - that could get 30-40 mpg.  =)

$4/gal diesel partially due to the newer "clean burning" fuel formulation + DPFs or urea filters so your truck can run on the clean diesel = lower MPG.

Hooray for EPA.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »
$4/gal diesel partially due to the newer "clean burning" fuel formulation + DPFs or urea filters so your truck can run on the clean diesel = lower MPG.

Hooray for EPA.

*expletive deleted*ck the EPA
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 08:10:34 PM »
I want a full-sized half ton pickup with a supercharged 3 liter diesel engine.  I don't think a normally-aspirated 3.5 to 3.8 liter would be strong enough, but I could be mistaken.  It needs to be able to haul a yard of gravel or load of firewood, or pull a small boat or trailer, or cruise 75 mph down the highway.  Doesn't need to be able to do all those things at the same time.

I don't follow diesels all that closely.  That said, I have not heard of a diesel, regardless of [on-highway legal]application, that was made in the last 20 years that wasn't turbocharged.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:57:17 PM by sumpnz »

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »
I don't follow diesels all that closely.  That said, I have not heard of a diesel, regardless of application, that was made in the last 20 years that wasn't turbocharged.

Smaller diesels aren't always turbocharged. The Yanmar 3 cyl in my JD 955 is normally aspirated.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
I don't follow diesels all that closely.  That said, I have not heard of a diesel, regardless of application, that was made in the last 20 years that wasn't turbocharged.

This one isn't, 2010 Kioti CK20S
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams