Author Topic: &%#*&*ing Iran!  (Read 18552 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
&%#*&*ing Iran!
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: &%#*&*ing Iran!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »
Do you think the Iranian fishermen are somehow to blame?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »
Any American that chooses to go to Iran is doing so at great risk.  Add in the fact of being a military veteran and you are definitely going to show up on their radar and be lucky if you aren't charged with spying.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Guy was probably spying. Does it suck that he's gonna get executed? Sure... but espionage is illegal in every country in the world, and these guys know what they're getting into when they choose the profession.

Iran is well within their rights as a sovereign nation to execute someone for espionage.

But I suppose we should play World Police some more and stop them?  ;/
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »
Not a world police supporter for the US>
My point was that if we were going to save Iran's sailors, we should have at least cut a deal to get the American back first.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 03:10:02 PM »
With that background, I wouldn't be surprised if he was CIA - knows the language well enough to be a translator, ex-military, a legitimate reason to visit Iran. He'd be an ideal candidate.

I suspect that he won't be executed. I think we've got enough bargaining chips to get him back.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »
Not a world police supporter for the US>
My point was that if we were going to save Iran's sailors, we should have at least cut a deal to get the American back first.

Well, I think this just shows American ship crews and commanders are good people.

I mean, you are in charge of some kind of naval vessel in the Gulf of Aden [that's where the piracy is, right? I get the geography of it a bit confused], and you get news that pirates have kidnapped innocent people within reach of your ship, and your orders are to fight piracy. The choice seems clear here.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
With that background, I wouldn't be surprised if he was CIA - knows the language well enough to be a translator, ex-military, a legitimate reason to visit Iran. He'd be an ideal candidate.

I suspect that he won't be executed. I think we've got enough bargaining chips to get him back.

Some of the other articles say that he did indeed work for the CIA in some capacity. But he was in iran on "personal" business?

Sounds legit.
Not.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
He deserves a fair trial on the accusation - do we think Iran is going to impartially and transparently prove that this person was indeed a spy?   

I don't believe he should be up for any punishment at all until proof, not just innuendo or suspicious circumstances, is offered. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
He deserves a fair trial on the accusation - do we think Iran is going to impartially and transparently prove that this person was indeed a spy?   

I don't believe he should be up for any punishment at all until proof, not just innuendo or suspicious circumstances, is offered. 

He's not gonna get a fair trial. If he doesn't like that, maybe he should stay out of countries run by Islamic nutjobs.

This was either a case of A.) Him being a spy, or B.) Him being an idiot.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:46:12 PM »
He's not gonna get a fair trial. If he doesn't like that, maybe he should stay out of countries run by Islamic nutjobs.

This was either a case of A.) Him being a spy, or B.) Him being an idiot.

Or maybe him wanting to see his elderly grandma one more time and taking a risk to do it - not that it's relevant.   Violating people's rights isn't justified on the basis that they happened to wander into an oppressive state's grasp.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
Or maybe him wanting to see his elderly grandma one more time and taking a risk to do it - not that it's relevant.   Violating people's rights isn't justified on the basis that they happened to wander into an oppressive state's grasp.

So what would you like to be done about it?

Should we invade?

LOL

I'm squarely in the "this isn't our friggin problem" camp

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »
Well, a person with 'Duel Citizenship' who asserts the offending country to be his real country/home... who is then screwed by his home country....

I'm with Fitz.  Certainly try to politic and help the guy, but no call for politics by other means.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »
Well, I think this just shows American ship crews and commanders are good people.

I mean, you are in charge of some kind of naval vessel in the Gulf of Aden [that's where the piracy is, right? I get the geography of it a bit confused], and you get news that pirates have kidnapped innocent people within reach of your ship, and your orders are to fight piracy. The choice seems clear here.

I don't even see a conflict of interest between rescuing Iranian hostages of pirates and retrieving American hostages of the Iranian state. Rescue the hostages and keep it quiet while American hostage release is negotiated.

Wine and dine the Iranians [edit... Iranian fisherman] during the negotiations and we'll have that many more CIA [edit assets] in Iran.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:32:24 PM by Stand_watie »
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 08:40:02 AM »
Well, a person with 'Duel Citizenship' who asserts the offending country to be his real country/home... who is then screwed by his home country....
If it's "Duel" citizenship, can he challenge the judge to sabers or pistols at dawn?    ;)

Dual citizenship or not, I find it hard to find sympathy for an American who goes into Iran - carrying US military ID, no less! - and gets into hot water, just as I find it hard to feel sorry for those who go to Iraq - Iraq! -  for a hiking trip, and seek a little more adventure by traveling to the poorly-marked border area with Iran.   :facepalm:

("The stupid, it hurts.")
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
The US really doesn't have a moral leg to stand on here. Our Government is clearly at undeclared war with Iran.  He got caught inside their territory with military ID and he at least got a frigin "trial", which is more than the US Government affords foreigners AND EVEN US citizens found outside US borders who are accused of "trrism" before targeting them for assassination.

So while I do not want to see a fellow citizen executed under any circumstances, I must say that our Government best keep its lying mouth shut on this matter lest our rulers come out as total hypocrites (we already know they are that and worse, but still).
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »
It's funny, a lot of the same people who screamed "ZOMG ILLEGAL WAR" about Iraq are now playing the "WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHINGZ!!!" card with iran.

They also did the same with Darfur.

I say, screw it. Let Iran do what Iran will do, and when they finally do something heinous, let the rest of the world clean it up.

I'm real tired of our government and politicians continuing to pursue asinine policies, play cloak and dagger games, etc. Because it's people like ME, not the idiots screaming for justice, who will pay the price in blood and tears when we finally "do something" about it.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »
I suspect Iran will do what they want to.  They like to float threats.

So what would you like to be done about it?

Should we invade?

Don't be surprised if we do exactly that after a substantial air campaign.  It is not just about the guy sentanced to death.  No more working to create a democracy.  Kick butt, take it, and keep it.  Yes, this is all about oil and nuclear weapons poliferation throughout the Middle East after they have their nuke.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
I suspect Iran will do what they want to.  They like to float threats.

Don't be surprised if we do exactly that after a substantial air campaign.  It is not just about the guy sentanced to death.  No more working to create a democracy.  Kick butt, take it, and keep it.  Yes, this is all about oil and nuclear weapons poliferation throughout the Middle East after they have their nuke.

Show me one foreign war/occupation/action/etc. that was all about oil that actually resulted in lower US oil prices.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »
It would not be about price, it would be about stability of the market.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure that we have another Carrier group headed for the Persian Gulf which will make two in the immediate area.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 07:04:05 PM »
Uncle Sam kitty iz in yer gulf...savin' yer sailors!

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
Kick butt, take it, and keep it.

That should be a cake walk... Yeah, like Mike said: "All you gotta do is repeat after me... abc, easy as... 123, or simple as... do re mi... abc,123, baby you and me!"
Except it'll only be you because I'm not lending any support for imperial adventures anymore. I'm SICK of being lied to and I'm sick of being scared into jumping to war.

There is no way the US Government isn't going down in history as the 21st century Nazi wannabes if they try to pull that one off.

And what exactly is the excuse this time for initiating aggression and destroying, then taking over a sovereign nation? WMDs? Again?  LOL

If they want to sell that one again they are going to have to get someone better than Bachmann:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFcV-AjqW8

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »
Oooh, some for facts.  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115142-Iran-Sentences-Game-Developer-To-Death

The guy made some games for the army.  Some very poor choices in travel plans...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 10:22:29 PM »
He's just been sentenced to death because he was found guilty of charges that the CIA was paying him to make videogames that would affect public opinion on U.S. policies in the region.

Srsly??  That's some pretty weak tea.