Author Topic: Sacrificing the Desert for the Environment  (Read 4842 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Sacrificing the Desert for the Environment
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »
Interesting story in the LA Times of all places, on the political agenda bedfellows of environmental NGOs and the renewable power industry.

My own thoughts on solar energy have always been that it is a viable "personal power" source for those who are interested in it. The roof of a house already has a pre-existing footprint to use. Creating a miles square "roof" over open land is simply silly, especially when you can produce a bajillion times more power from a nuclear reactor with 1/100th of the footprint.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-solar-desert-20120205,0,762414,full.story
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Sacrificing the Desert for the Environment
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »
My question is how cheap would alternative energy (solar, wind, etc) be if given half the resources for research that oil exploration has been given?  Also how cheap would oil and gas be if not only we were drilling more in this hemisphere but also using these alternative sources more than we are?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »
I agree wmenorr67.  I think we discount alternative energy too easily because it isn't easy, isn't cheap, and out of plain obstinance. We can't replace all oil-based functions with other methods, but by replacing the easy uses, we reserve more oil for functions where it's the best or only choice.  I'm not sure why that's such a bad thing.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »
It's simply a matter of the Left poisoning good ideas by association.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
Our entire way of life - the quailty of our lives depends on cheap energy.  That is the backbone of our civilization.

The only practical way forward with cheap, abundent energy into the future is nuclear power.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
I agree wmenorr67.  I think we discount alternative energy too easily because it isn't easy, isn't cheap, and out of plain obstinance. We can't replace all oil-based functions with other methods, but by replacing the easy uses, we reserve more oil for functions where it's the best or only choice.  I'm not sure why that's such a bad thing.

Chris

I don't discount alternative energy, I applaud the technical experimentation, especially when privately funded or via things like DARPA created tech. I just don't like to see it forced as a one for one replacement, especially in areas where it's much less efficient than other energy sources. Solar clearly shines (pun intended) as a distributed energy network product, but it's simply not efficient as a large, centralized energy node. That's where stuff like nuclear is the way to go.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
No disagreement Ben, but the point I was making is where it is a viable replacement to oil/gas solar/wind needs to be used.  How much could be saved if solar energy was mainly used to heat water for example?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:39:05 PM »
The environmental movement is nothing but a ploy to get the big money into the "right hands."  We need cheap energy, but we need cheap de-centralized energy more.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
"Sacrificing the desert?" Really now?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »
My own thoughts on solar energy have always been that it is a viable "personal power" source for those who are interested in it. The roof of a house already has a pre-existing footprint to use.

I agree. I'm in favor of personal power generation and increased independence of individuals/homesteads.
Unfortunately we have seen increasing instances of local governments not being fond of "off the grid" lifestyles. Can't have people being all independent of government mandated/supported infrastructure.  Next thing you know people will be growing their own food and wanting to provide for their own self defense.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
The environmental movement is nothing but a ploy to get the big money into the "right hands."  We need cheap energy, but we need cheap de-centralized energy more.

We have a winner!

Gov't subsidy for fuel ethanol, renewables, etc. is just robbing regular folks to benefit cronies and secure one's own base.  Nothing more.

If these alternative energy sources had a snowball's chance in hell of becoming viable and profitable, VCs would be all over them. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »
"Sacrificing the desert?" Really now?

Yes, a whopping 6 square miles and the desert is now ruined! 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 07:08:28 AM »

Much wisdom here....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »
My question is how cheap would alternative energy (solar, wind, etc) be if given half the resources for research that oil exploration has been given?  Also how cheap would oil and gas be if not only we were drilling more in this hemisphere but also using these alternative sources more than we are?

No cheaper than its now.  Physics is what is holding it back...solar and wind are low-density energy sources, compared to nuclear and fossil fuels.  As it will always be thermodynamically more efficient to operate any power source on a higher density heat engine, distributed systems will always lose out. 
Case in point: the current solar cell record is in the mid 40% range...after literally tens of billions in direct research and leveraging technologies developed with hundreds of billions in other areas (semiconductor fab, etc).  That efficiency is comparable to a 20 year old combined cycle gas turbine (which are now upwards of 50-60%)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »
I don't think "alternative" sources like wind and solar are any kind of solution.

That said, I used to live in Mohave. I remember the Kramer junction solar array. It did not bother me that they covered miles of desert with solar panels. If someone wants to do that, and make it economically viable, so be it.

But it should not be subsidized by my tax dollars.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
I live off grid in the desert, many of my post are solar powered.

the panels are on the roof, as are the windmills.

I'm all for pipelines and drilling. As well as alt power.
When they make an electric pickup that can go 500 miles without needing a charge and that can get a charge as quick as filling a tank of gas then I'll buy one, I mean get a ride to the store in one.

Desert rats will quickly destroy ugly monstrosities destroying the desert ecology, both the two legged and 4 legged kind.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
Our entire way of life - the quality of our lives depends on cheap energy.  That is the backbone of our civilization.

To the 2nd power.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »

Wow, fistful is completely correct. Call the Mayans, we're screwed for sure now. I grew up in an earthy-crunchy household half the time, in a more APS friendly house the other. The government and the left has pushed the granola agenda so hard as to render it illegitimate. I want to see people off grid, I like personal wind and solar. I don't want my tax dollars to subsidize these on a large scale. But on energy the left talks out of both sides of its mouth and therefore needs to be punched in it. They don't want carbon emissions but oppose nuclear. We can't rape the landscape for coal and hydro-fracking( that occurs several miles below the water table) but if we want to raze mountaintops for wind or trash the desert for solar well okey-dokey!

If someone wants energy independence or reduced carbon emissions but they don't actively support current nuke and nuclear research then they're just a lying POS.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.