Author Topic: Initiative to regulate marijuana on the ballot in Washington state  (Read 10538 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Initiative to regulate marijuana on the ballot in Washington state
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 12:46:40 PM »
 =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »
I was watching one of those cop shows over the weekend - they had a CO sherriff's office with really, really fat officers raiding a "professional grow" in suburbia.  They were wearing ninja masks and protective gear to handle all of those deadly mary jane plants.  One guy even put on a respirator to move the leaves.

The war on drugs is pure comedy.  Spending money on SWAT teams to stop people from getting high while millions of people are killing themselves legally with alcohol rates in my eyes as one of the dumbest policies in America. 

It'd be more socially useful and less ridiculous for them to spend the DEA's budget and employ its personnel to make higher quality drugs, and to raid people who put out low quality crap.

This, with bells on it.

Come and get my French press from my cold, dead hands.

Amen, Brother, Amen.

My press would still be warm from the last pot of fresh-ground coffee.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 11:12:15 PM »
When QE I was introduced to tea she made it her official breakfast beverage.  The previous preferred potable?  Ale.

Whatever the problems from the psychoactive properties of caffeine it was probably one of the requirements for the industrial revolution.  People are a lot more productive buzzed on tea or java than after their morning mug of ale.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
Coffee, cigarettes, and chocolate powered the Enlightenment.  Thank you, New World, full of such wonders!
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 01:45:54 PM »
When QE I was introduced to tea she made it her official breakfast beverage.  The previous preferred potable?  Ale.

Whatever the problems from the psychoactive properties of caffeine it was probably one of the requirements for the industrial revolution.  People are a lot more productive buzzed on tea or java than after their morning mug of ale.

Both were preferable to drinking the water at the time, due to water-borne disease.  BUt, tea is less likely to destroy the liver.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »
I smoked ciggs for yrs and yrs, I quit right before I became sober in the early 90's.

It seems to me that the USA is way over medicated. I quit smoking ciggs using pot so I guess I can concur it has some medicinal value.

However during the depression medicinal use of alcohol skyrocketed, if ciggs were outlawed you bet there would be a sudden interest in medical ciggs.

Yet now in the recovery world where people have asked God to help them with their serious addictions
& in default world where people see the need to stop smoking ciggs - folks seem unable to do it without psychiatric medications like "Chantrix" or however you spell it.

Weed should be sold anywhere you sell beer, with the same laws-be 21 or over, but that law stinks too imo if you're old enough to carry a machine gun for the military you're old enough to smoke/drink or whatever floats your boat.

count me out though, btdt.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 06:51:26 PM »
The ale for breakfast or ale in place of water was not beer as we know it today. It was a "small beer" of very modest alcohol (less than 3% abv) brewed specifically to be more nourishing and less intoxicating than today's common beverage. Naturally the brewing process makes it safer to drink than untreated water. The alcohol also has a preservative effect but the thick, sweet, unattenuated ale is also a good source of calories. Sure, some of that barley could have been eaten in whole form instead of being processed but not all nutrition is lost. Yeast is healthy and I don't think there is really anything dangerous capable of living in beer than is dangerous to consume, though it may not taste good. I don't know this for a fact but this is what I learned while getting into homebrew about 10 years ago. I have not brewed anything for 5 years or more. I do suspect that shorter life expectancy in historical times negated the prolonged effects of alcohol abuse that we are now familiar with. The increase in cost and rarity probably made heavy consumption more inconvenient, to say nothing of modern serving sizes. I wasn't alive to see it but I have trouble believing some modern notions that entire populations would have been drunk all day, every day, for centuries on end. It's just alcohol. A little bit taken a few times a day does not necessarily make you inebriated, unhealthy, or less productive. Ounce for ounce in your average beer variety I find alcohol to be just as stimulating (the perceived affect) both mentally and physically as coffee. Your mileage may vary. I feel quite gifted in this regard  =D

FWIW  I have heard the tradition of kvass, a related type of bready low alcohol nourishment, is still common in Russia. I also drink far, far greater quantities of caffeine than alcohol.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:55:21 PM by Grebnaws »

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 07:00:34 PM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »
Modern beer, with hops, did not exist until around the 18th century.  It was originally used as a preservative for long voyages at sea.  And yes, the ale consumed in the time of QE I was much lower alochol than what we drink today, plus being flat of course.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
Both were preferable to drinking the water at the time, due to water-borne disease.  BUt, tea is less likely to destroy the liver.
It is, however, incredibly likely to turn a person into an insufferable ahole who extends their pinky finger while drinking it.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »

FWIW  I have heard the tradition of kvass, a related type of bready low alcohol nourishment, is still common in Russia. I also drink far, far greater quantities of caffeine than alcohol.

Modern kvas has no, or virtually no, alcohol.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »
Everything is a balancing act, actually. We are dependent on periodic stimulation of our many "drug receptors" to get about life normally. Think that zero influence from drugs is good? Even our own internally produced psychoactive substances? Extreme sobriety?

This is a very interesting article from a biochemist that literally "uses" what he studies. He does go over the top, though.

http://www.vice.com/read/new-frontiers-of-sobriety-984-v16n8
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »
Modern beer, with hops, did not exist until around the 18th century.  It was originally used as a preservative for long voyages at sea.  And yes, the ale consumed in the time of QE I was much lower alochol than what we drink today, plus being flat of course.

I have yet to unpack my brewing library and am attempting to draw on retained knowledge from the book Radical Brewing. As I recall hops were used much earlier than the 18th century with the 14th-15th centuries being the crossover years into hop territory. I know there were many alternatives for flavoring and preservation before this, including some toxic alternatives that were probably more dangerous than the alcohol itself. Carbonation is naturally present post fermentation and during conditioning. Old casks even had special devices called spiles inserted into the bung specifically for regulating carbonation levels. Traditional low pressure hand pumped beer would also have some forced carbonation but I don't know when bottle conditioning or kegging became the norm.

Sorry for the OT discussion. I know there are other forums for historical beer talk.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:34:03 AM by Grebnaws »

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »
Carbonation is naturally present post fermentation and during conditioning.

I thought that young Einstein invented the carbonation process by splitting beer atoms, in a shed in Tasmania...  :O  =D

BTW hop is closely related to cannabis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabaceae
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:39:30 PM by Blakenzy »

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »
There's some natural carbonation in beer from the fermentation process.  But beer from before the days of sealed containers would have been flat by comparison to today's standards.