Author Topic: Full analysis of Obama Eligibility Hearing ...  (Read 28907 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Full analysis of Obama Eligibility Hearing ...
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2012, 06:29:16 PM »
Ha! People on welfare riot, apparently the taxpaying, law abiding citizen does not. Who do you think gets the s**t end of the government stick? Just hold your nose and keep on voting in scumbag after scumbag, and then wonder "why we so screwed?".

Your solution?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
I see no practical solution. It's just going to have to keep on going until our Welfare State collapses by itself, under it's own weight, which it eventually will, in a long drawn out, painful, pathetic sort of way.

Ideally, we would all wake up enlightened one day and perform a complete rollover of government. Vote out, recall and replace EVERYONE on Capitol Hill in a concerted nationwide move. All at once. And by everyone I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRIr9MNmCwU

But that's a pipe dream, so no practical fix I can see. Your thoughts?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2012, 09:40:40 PM »
Is there some overpowering reason we can't repeal the welfare state one program at a time over the course of years, the way it was instituted? (Ideally a little faster)

I mean seriously, if we have time for a long drawn out collapse, we have time for small gains, then point out the world didn't end and people aren't dieing in the streets, and some more gains.  You know: incremental politics.

I swear to God this board hosts some of the giving up-ist folks.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:21 PM »
Is there some overpowering reason we can't repeal the welfare state one program at a time over the course of years, the way it was instituted? (Ideally a little faster)

I mean seriously, if we have time for a long drawn out collapse, we have time for small gains, then point out the world didn't end and people aren't dieing in the streets, and some more gains.  You know: incremental politics.

I swear to God this board hosts some of the giving up-ist folks.
The main reason we can't is the failure to elect politicians willing to do so.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »
Eliminate baseline budgeting.  Then cut the Federal budget across the board five per cent a year until we run a surplus.  Lower tax rates on small business owners, savers, investors.

Can we get a critical mass in the electorate to back such initiatives?

And if we can't what do we do about it?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2012, 01:09:10 AM »
This would not resolve the issue. Indeed, neither would balancing the budget.

The debt is a distraction.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »

The debt is a distraction?  I'd say it's a symptom of the much deeper social, cultural, and demographic issues in America that you continue to insist don't really matter.  How many times have you told us that America is in fine shape when patently it is not?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:52:12 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »
I see no practical solution. It's just going to have to keep on going until our Welfare State collapses by itself, under it's own weight, which it eventually will, in a long drawn out, painful, pathetic sort of way.

Ideally, we would all wake up enlightened one day and perform a complete rollover of government. Vote out, recall and replace EVERYONE on Capitol Hill in a concerted nationwide move. All at once. And by everyone I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRIr9MNmCwU

But that's a pipe dream, so no practical fix I can see. Your thoughts?

I think you're probably right.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2012, 10:13:32 AM »
Maybe we need to describe more closely what "collapse" really looks like...?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »

$15,000,000,000,000+++++  is a helluva distraction...... :mad:

"All debts come due sometime,"  and what is going to happen is, as this debt accrues, it will become more difficult to service, and eventually impossible to service, then the "house of cards" comes crashing down.......and then there will be "a hot time in the ol' town tonight!!"
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
Any hope of resolving our debt problem will entail becoming a moral, honorable, and sober people.  I admit I do not see, right now, enough Americans qualifying to attain the critical mass we require for continuing national integrity.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
Any hope of resolving our debt problem will entail becoming a moral, honorable, and sober people.  I admit I do not see, right now, enough Americans qualifying to attain the critical mass we require for continuing national integrity.

Both the UK and the USA have been in tight spots before, where the culture's morals had degenerated to the point they ate at the foundation of the nations' stability and prosperity.  Both were bolstered and/or turned around by a couple of Great Awakenings of Christian and moral revival.

So, it can happen.  It just might make the christophobes break out in hives.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2012, 04:41:09 PM »
I think you are right.  Some form of Great Awakening is probably our best--and only--hope.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »
feh, unleash the nukes and pave the way to prosperity with glass

;)
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2012, 12:33:02 AM »

There's plenty of nations that have a balanced - or near-balanced  - budget, yet you would never want to live there.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2012, 12:39:47 AM »
There's plenty of nations that have a balanced - or near-balanced  - budget, yet you would never want to live there.

There's plenty of places I wouldn't want to live, and I wouldn't have to examine their budgetary policies to come to that conclusion.  That doesn't mean I think we can keep on digging America's fiscal hole deeper and deeper.
This country can easily turn into someplace where I wouldn't want to live.
Except, here I am....... :'( :facepalm: :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2012, 01:16:18 AM »
I threw up in my mouth a little when I typed this, but Micro is probably right.

The debt might as well be eleventeen bajillion dollars for all the difference it makes.  We will either monetize or default.  The debt will not be paid back.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2012, 01:21:25 AM »
Well, it is possible to have a balanced budget, and then economic grwoth will gradually overtake the debt.

But that will not solve the major social and political problems America is facing.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »
Well, it is possible to have a balanced budget, and then economic grwoth will gradually overtake the debt.

But that will not solve the major social and political problems America is facing.

Of course it won't solve the problems.  But getting control of our budget and actually paying down the debt sure as hell won't hurt our ability to solve said problems.

Under Coolidge the overall size of the .gov was significantly reduced, and around 1/4 of the national debt paid off.  Another president that accomplished that would make me want to repeal the 22nd Amendment.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »
Get this straight, the US has "sovereign debt", not "sovereign currency". Since we do not  have monetary sovereignty, we have to "borrow" Federal Reserve notes (AKA Dollars) into existence, with interest, from the Federal Reserve. The Government borrows dollars by issuing Government bonds, bonds that carry a interest rate obligation.

Every dollar in circulation then represents a debt to be payed back, with interest. The Government needs to "create" more dollars to pay back the interest on the dollars it just borrowed. And how are these new dollars created?

Government can't print them, gave up that right a hundred years ago... but it can trade interest-laden bonds for them. They could also get them from the existing dollars in public circulation by perpetually hiking up tax rates, but that just leads to political turmoil. So they are created quietly by borrowing more dollars from the Fed, through bond issuing, each new dollar with its respective interest rate attached... which needs to be payed with yet more new dollars, which also have their own interest rates attached.. You need perpetual, exponential growth to cover that sort of loan deal.

How can a country get out of debt when the currency it is forced to use is based on debt?

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2012, 11:02:59 AM »

???

I wish the universe were so simple that solving one problem will solve all problems.  But it's not.
We'll just have to do it one problem at a time. :police: >:D [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] :angel:

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »

Do I have to say that we are not talking about a balanced or nearly balanced budget?--that we are talking about what amounts to insane profligacy, about debts that can never be paid off?

And this is about more than economics.  You don't get to where we are now just by being a bad budgeter, you get here by being a liar, a swindler, a pimp, an addict, and a reprobate, all of that sugarcoated and sold to us in digestible syllabubs by people who know exactly what they are doing.

Free societies require virtue.  Increasingly, as a people, we lack it.  Either we figure out a way to restore it or we will perish...or wish we had.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2012, 01:36:56 PM »
We are not talking about debts that can never be paid off, for reasons I've outlined.

But more to the point, there's no real proof that only monogamous Calvinists can build a free society.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2012, 01:49:27 PM »
I'm sure non-monogamous non-Calvinists can achieve freedom.  The question is...for how many days? =D

Sustainable liberty requires virtue.  And no one mentioned Calvinism or monogamy except you.

I'd like to hear your debt retirement plan.  Really I would.  You are of course aware we have a regime in place that is far more interested in wealth redistribution than economic growth, for starters.

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
The main thing we are forgetting is that B.O's Birth Cert was a new issue copy of the original long form.
The original long form cert says he is a Muslim, it also says he has horns and a tail.

None of those disqualify him from the Oval Office though.

I'm not as concerned with domestic welfare as I am with foreign welfare, we have to many illegals sending money home and taking our jobs. We give untold millions to wealthy countries whose citizens have a better standard of living then we do.

For instance, I love Ireland-lived there two yrs, a pretty decent economy, the only homeless there are folks to drunk to make it home to sleep it off, no hunger either, their welfare class live like kings when compared to our minimum wage people. WHY ARE WE GIVING THEM SO MUCH MONEY???

Why are we building Mosques in the middle east ( I heard Saudi Arabia but have not verified)?
Why build roads and hospitals in other countries ??  No European country should be getting our money, Iraq, Libya etc should be sending us boatloads.

When we stop funding euro welfare, when Nancy Pelosi & the rest stops getting rich off insider trading then lets cut the paltry pittance ( in comparison ) the wino's and welfare moms are getting
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."