Author Topic: Obama puts another one over on the gullible public  (Read 15097 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Obama puts another one over on the gullible public
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2012, 07:43:49 PM »
De Selby, that logic doesn't flow. You're better than that.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »
De Selby, that logic doesn't flow. You're better than that.

Care to explain?  I was making the point, based on past threads here about "dhimmification" through airport foot washing and gloves for handling pork, that if these were muslim specific practices at issue, the mood might not be so much in favour of religious freedom.  I think that is an entirely reasonable observation.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:31 PM »
So it is OK for Fed.gov use its implied threat of violence to demand individuals purchase a good or service.

So it is OK for Fed.gov to use its power of coercion to dictate to employers what type of insurance they will provide.

So it is OK for Fed.gov to dictate to religious institutions what the boundaries are for the practice of their religion.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »
I just wish the US Conference of Catholic Bishops could be so well organised and effective in identifying and expelling child abusers within their midst.  It's just a bit odd that they're taking a stand on the morality of birth control when they've been very keen to downplay and deny liability for the "poor judgment" that closeted and shuffled child abusers for decades.

I also question, on this topic of religious freedom, if the APS consensus would be the same if this were a story about Saudi investors buying a major US employer and demanding that all female employees wear burqas, or that all employees join prayers five times a day.

Something tells me I'd be seeing a little more than "if you don't like it don't work for them". 

Is this a good time to point out that the whole issue is not simply about contraception, and not simply a problem for the RCC?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2012, 10:46:24 PM »
De Selby, clergy sex abuse and church-provided contraceptives are two completely different issues, and any attempt to link them for the purposes of discussing this issue is fallacious.

As for a Saudi company buying a US company, nobody is buying the church. I don't know why you made that part of your hypothetical. Nevertheless, the company would be absolutely within its rights to require women to wear burqas. The federal government might have a different opinion, though, although when it comes to Muslims, there's no guarantees.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »
Something tells me I'd be seeing a little more than "if you don't like it don't work for them".

Not from me.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:16 PM »
I also question, on this topic of religious freedom, if the APS consensus would be the same if this were a story about Saudi investors buying a major US employer and demanding that all female employees wear burqas, or that all employees join prayers five times a day.

What, exactly, are the bishops trying to force on the employees?

But, yeah, if it came down to it, I'm all for letting folk run their businesses as they see fit.

I just wish the US Conference of Catholic Bishops could be so well organised and effective in identifying and expelling child abusers within their midst.  It's just a bit odd that they're taking a stand on the morality of birth control when they've been very keen to downplay and deny liability for the "poor judgment" that closeted and shuffled child abusers for decades.

So, because they tried to cover up a scandal, you think they are ready to abandon every other tenet of their faith? Or what am I missing?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 12:57:11 AM »
If the Saudi government bought a US company, I would question them expecting their female employees to wear burkahs.

However, if a Mosquewere running a charity, and expected their female employees to wear burkahs, that would be a much different issue...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 01:56:30 AM »
Is this a good time to point out that the whole issue is not simply about contraception, and not simply a problem for the RCC?

Yes, it is.  There are way too many straw men running around here.  I think it is also a good time to take note that this attack by Obama on the 1st amendment will likely be a glimpse of his method of attack on the second.  Divide, send in the straw men, and conquer.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Chris

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »
DD, your math is all wonky; it's 86!!!!! :laugh: [tinfoil] =D ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 01:37:56 PM »
DD, your math is all wonky; it's 86!!!!! :laugh: [tinfoil] =D ;)

Read the question.  It asks how many can dance on the head of a pin, not how many are currently dancing.  Look closer.  See the one off to the side with a little spoon?   >:D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
Read the question.  It asks how many can dance on the head of a pin, not how many are currently dancing.  Look closer.  See the one off to the side with a little spoon?   >:D

DD
[tinfoil]  Can't fool me!!! I saw that one too!!!   [popcorn] [tinfoil] :laugh: :laugh: :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »
It depends upon several factors: the size of the angels (petite, large, Rosie O'Donnel size), the size of the pin head, and the type of dance (waltz, break-dancing, swing, etc).

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 06:48:27 PM »
Petite, #16, Swing

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
Okay. It's 104.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
How many angels can dance on the head of a .45acp cartridge?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
How many angels can dance on the head of a .45acp cartridge?

They would be ninjas. And they would performing tactical rolls.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »
His goal (maybe not him personally, but his administration) is to get Catholic Charities to close up shop.  Liberal progressives want everybody dependent on the government, and they can't accomplish that with non-profits providing aid to the needy.  So they pass laws that religious NPO's (the most threatening kind) cannot abide with to put the competition out of business.
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2012, 11:33:48 PM »
His goal (maybe not him personally, but his administration) is to get Catholic Charities to close up shop.  Liberal progressives want everybody dependent on the government, and they can't accomplish that with non-profits providing aid to the needy.  So they pass laws that religious NPO's (the most threatening kind) cannot abide with to put the competition out of business.

We have a winner.  They do not want competition. Since the dawn of the Progressive Era, gov't has advanced and private institutions retreated.  This is considered a feature by progressives.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton