Author Topic: How about we address the overt stuff first?  (Read 12894 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: How about we address the overt stuff first?
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »
How many Americans actually fly, though? I think people forget that a lot of us aren't opting out of the body scanner simply because we don't travel often enough or far enough to be at the airport (or not very often) and we prefer to travel by automobile.

I think we would find, if we commissioned a study, that people who are most prickly about their individual liberty, or most resistant to strip-searching and body-scanning; are people who don't want to be in a crowded airliner fuselage anyway. Us curmudgeonly sorts prefer the open road, and only travel by airline if the benefits far outweigh the costs.

It could also be a matter of tax bracket.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »
Now, I'm just hopeful she doesn't die in a gutter choking on her own vomit.

I'm just trying to stay out of the way of the mess.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

erictank

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 06:10:16 AM »
How many Americans actually fly, though? I think people forget that a lot of us aren't opting out of the body scanner simply because we don't travel often enough or far enough to be at the airport (or not very often) and we prefer to travel by automobile.

I think we would find, if we commissioned a study, that people who are most prickly about their individual liberty, or most resistant to strip-searching and body-scanning; are people who don't want to be in a crowded airliner fuselage anyway. Us curmudgeonly sorts prefer the open road, and only travel by airline if the benefits far outweigh the costs.

It could also be a matter of tax bracket.

TSA claims two BILLION passenger screenings per year in American airports.  Not all are Americans, obviously, but most are. And sure, a lot of those are frequent-flyers - but Ma and Pa Smith travel to see the grand-kidlets once a year or so - and there are a LOT of Smiths.

Having said that - it's the frequent-flyers, not the Smiths, who tend to be more up-in-arms over the violations forced on the travelling public by the TSA, because they face them more often.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »
I just refused to go back to CA this week for work, partly because the customer is such a jerk but mostly because of the TSA crap.

If I could drive there in one day, I would.

Terrorists Succeeded Already
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
America is like a drug addicted family member. 
Early in our relationship, I was an enabler.
Then, when I awoke to the depths of her depravity, I just hoped she would get better.
Now, I'm just hopeful she doesn't die in a gutter choking on her own vomit.

I'm borrowing that for possible later quoting.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 02:36:41 AM »
I just refused to go back to CA this week for work, partly because the customer is such a jerk but mostly because of the TSA crap.

If I could drive there in one day, I would.

Terrorists Succeeded Already

I wish I had that option. :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »
I wish I had that option. :laugh:

You make your choices and you pay the price.