Author Topic: Stockton, CA to Become Largest Bankrupt City in US  (Read 3427 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Stockton, CA to Become Largest Bankrupt City in US
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
Stockton is about to declare bankruptcy.

Reading the story, I see the common theme of blaming the majority of their problems on "the burst housing bubble". Yet, what expenses do cities actually have when there is a big increase in housing?

Certainly they may have needed to build some new schools, which now may have less students if families move out. They may have justifiably added some police and fire employees. But what likely happened is they went nutzo with all the new property tax revenue and expanded their local government, with the fantasy thought that property tax revenue would only go up, and never down. Now they lost all that revenue and they decided they need to declare bankruptcy.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/26/stockton-set-to-become-largest-us-city-to-declare-bankruptcy/#ixzz1yyC0NF97
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Stockton, CA to Become Largest Bankrupt City in US
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »

BWAHAHAH
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
Wait what!?!
They weren't able to spend themselves out of debt?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »
Wait what!?!
They weren't able to spend themselves out of debt?
Impossible! More spending is the solution! Call Paul Krugman!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
According to Reuters, Stockton has $700 million in outstanding debt.

ETA: According to the same article Jefferson County, Alabama set the record last year for the largest municipal bankruptcy filing at $4.23 billion.  I don't recall hearing anything about that bankruptcy.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
Holy crap. How does a single county in Alabama rack up $4bil in debt? And indeed, it didn't seem to make the news.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »
So, what happens now?

Do the creditors get to seize city property?  Does the state bail them out?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »
So, what happens now?

Do the creditors get to seize city property?  Does the state bail them out?
The city officials responsible go to debtor's prison until they've worked off the debt.

(OK, that's only wishful thinking.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
The city officials responsible go to debtor's prison until they've worked off the debt.

The Milwaukee Wisconsin politicians who run up debts usually move to chicago after they resign, which is almost as good.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 06:38:40 PM »
Creditors such as JPMorgan Chase [JPM  36.78    1.07  (+3%)   ] had argued that Jefferson County was ineligible for a bankruptcy filing because the county had no bond debt as required by state law. Like most Alabama counties, Jefferson County only had warrants, a form of debt popular in the state since the 1930s that does not require direct voter approval.

How does that happen?  Voters don't have to approve the .gov entity taking on debt?

I hope everyone involved gets screwed.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
There's a county commissioner doing a stretch right now.  
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 11:47:47 PM »
Some jackwagon from California was on the O'Reilly Factor tonight (hosted by Juan Williams) saying that austerity would be a horrible choice, they need to spend more $$, they can't let these important social investments go south.
 [barf]

Even the liberal Juan Williams was .....not ....really .... buying .... it.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero