Author Topic: Baseball's Roger Clemens acquitted of all charges  (Read 9166 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Baseball's Roger Clemens acquitted of all charges
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/18/baseball-roger-clemens-acquitted-all-charges/

I heard of this headline as I left work today.  I was very pleased to see it.  I have seen this as a complete waste of time for quite a while. 
The government's case relied heavily on the testimony of Clemens' longtime strength coach, Brian McNamee, who testified he injected Clemens with steroids in 1998, 2000 and 2001 and with HGH in 2000. McNamee produced a needle and other materials he said were from a steroids injection of Clemens in 2001, items that McNamee said he stored in and around a Miller Lite beer can inside a FedEx box for some six years.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/18/baseball-roger-clemens-acquitted-all-charges/#ixzz1yBoMR6W5
I had always figured the prosecutors must have some evidence that I hadn't heard about.  Surely, they weren't basing their case on a this one guy who is questionable?  From what I see in the news articles (above), that is apparently what they did.  I guess I was expecting them to have a stronger case if they were going to take this to trial.  I guess I should also give Clemens credit for hiring a good lawyer. 
Any thoughts?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Baseball's Roger Clemens acquitted of all charges
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »
they hoped to get a plea
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
they hoped to get a plea
Big waste of time and money if that is the case.  I would suggest the jury spent too much time deliberating, but that isn't all that long.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »
Roger Clemens was a professional athlete - an entertainer.

Nothing he did professionally impacts me or 99+% of the other people in this country. In a few more years, he's going to be very little more than the subject of some sports triva games. And if he DID use some drugs - so what? So long as we - the taxpayers - aren't on the hook for treating him when his internal organs dissolve, so what?

And what was the trial for? LYING TO CONGRESS. It's beyond preposterous to criminalize alleged lies told to a body largely comprised of pathological liars who shouldn't even have been wasting OUR time and money on a nothing issue like steroids and such in the entertainment (pro sports) industry in the first place.

Better they should investigate prior drug use in elected officials - I'd be a lot more concerned if (for example) someone with budgetary authority, foreign policy responsibilities, and access to nuclear launch codes were an admitted pot smoking drunken coke head earlier in his career.

Oh oh, just a minute . . .  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:36 AM »
Meanwhile, the Attorney General lies to Congress and there's no trial there.   :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:44:52 AM »
Meanwhile, the Attorney General lies to Congress and there's no trial there.   :facepalm:

This
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:00:23 PM »
Is using HGH, in and of itself, illegal?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »

HGH, roids, whatever is usually legal with a Rx.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »
There was no federal law saying it was illegal according to what I read.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:38:57 AM »
Does this mean my baseball cards of him or worth more or less, now?

bob

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 10:40:39 AM »
There was no federal law saying it was illegal according to what I read.

it was only off limits according to the rules of basebal.  why congress was involved at all is beyond me.  what hankb said goes x2
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:01 PM »
it was only off limits according to the rules of basebal.  why congress was involved at all is beyond me.  what hankb said goes x2

Congress has oversight authority of MLB because MLB is, essentially, a monopoly. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »
Good, maybe now they can get back to their job of writing (I hold out scant hope for balancing) a budget.

;/ ;/ :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »
Hell if lying to Congress is a crime then every Congressman/woman is guilty because they all have done so at least once since taking office.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!