Author Topic: What if Romney chooses Ryan as a running mate?  (Read 35406 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
What if Romney chooses Ryan as a running mate?
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:03:06 AM »
There is a buzz out there that he seriously considering Paul Ryan.

It would certainly shore up Romney with the fiscally conservative right.

On the other hand it might consign Ryan and his budgetary plans to oblivion, both if Romney wins or loses.

Romney would be free to ignore the fiscal conservatives if he wins, the R's will just fall in line like they always do, going along to get along.

If Romney/Ryan loses he will forever be the failed VP pick of Romney as far as the media is concerned. Nobody will listen to him because the media will remind us continually how the voters rejected him and his vision.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
Re: What if Romney chooses Ryan as a running mate?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
I have the same misgivings.
I'd really like to see Ryan in the Oval Office in the future.
If Romney's Presidency fails, that pretty mcu eliminated Ryan for the future.
Historically, VPs rarely become presidents.
VP's haven't had much if any influence on their Presidents in the recent history.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:29:33 AM »
Romney is screwed with the media no matter who he picks.  Picks a female or a person of color;  token, pandering for women and minority votes.  White guy; he's a racist.  Throw in conservative of any gender or color; See, he really wants to kill old people, dogs, children and nuke California.

Romney needs to pick whoever he thinks could step into the Presidency.  Then he needs to spend a couple of days defanging Obama and the media mud, sleeze and lies by publicly, in a very strong way, with paid ads of his own, not super pac money, to tell Americans that he isn't going to respond to any of Obama and media lies, sleeze and mud.  That the race is too important to respond to this juvenile, childish dreck.  Then he needs to strongly make a point by point case with respect to what he plans his presidency's platform is all about and why and hammer that every day till election day.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:36:45 AM »
IMO, Romney shouldn't worry about the media and should just pick the guy that might be able to make sure he own base and conservative independents come out and vote for him.  If he tries to pander to anyone in the center, it won't help him.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »
If he picks Ryan, I might be able to bring myself to vote for the Romney ticket. It COULD signal he's willing to take on the actual problems facing this country.

My bet is it will be some other milquetoast politician. Don't rock the boat.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
IMHO the person that will be the Veep candidate is Rubio.  We'll hear cries of pandering from the left.  Many hispanics are closet conservatives, and just vote demoncrat for some odd reason.  I see a lot I'm not fond of in Rubio, but I also see him as a straight talker who tries to do what he says.
The real problem is the Veep is nothing but a token position.  Whoever he picks is nothing but an extra campaign voice.
Of course should something happen to the POTUS, the Veep steps in, but that is like lightening striking a lottery winner....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »
You pick the VP that brings you the most votes in the party. Right now, Romney still hasn't won over the TEA Party, Paulians, and other conservatives....esp. the ones that are going as delegates to the convention. If Romney is going to make it through the convention with his political skin intact (& expect conservative voters to show at the polls), picking Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Bobby Jindal, or some conservative darling is vital. It's the smart move....

....which is why he likely will not do it. Heck, he may even pick Jeri Ryan as his VP.....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »
If he picks Ryan, I might be able to bring myself to vote for the Romney ticket. It COULD signal he's willing to take on the actual problems facing this country.

My bet is it will be some other milquetoast politician. Don't rock the boat.

So if he doesn't pick Ryan you would throw your vote away towards Obama?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »
Dick Cheney didn't have a token position, although they did keep him out of sight in the later years.

I don't think Ryan would accept unless his plan was to be a real part of the Romney agenda. He's been almost fanatically devoted to solving these financial problems for several years. This is his mission.

He'd be good on the campaign trail, as he can easily explain in real-people talk what it is that Obama has done and will do to our economy.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
So if he doesn't pick Ryan you would throw your vote away towards Obama?

If he doesn't pick someone that signals a willingness to address the actual issues facing our country, I see no reason to reward the Republican Party with my vote. I cannot in good conscience vote anymore for someone who does not represent a solution. (Ryan isn't the only pick that could signal this, though.)

If he runs as the "kick the can down the road again!" candidate, I will likely be writing someone in. I don't believe the country can survive should we ignore the problems for another four (or eight) years. Obama just gets us there faster, but the destination is the same. (And rewarding the Republicans for running a "ignore the problem" candidate won't ever get the problems addressed.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »
He should pick someone better than himself, preferably someone who could be President of the new America that is going to need to be rebuilt, painfully, on truth and toughness.

Romney, who of all people should know better, appears to believe America's problems are economic.  Or so he says.  Our economic problems are rooted in cultural and moral issues that, eventually, will out, no doubt dramatically.

I expect him to make the wrong choice: the "safe" one.  A man who says he's "disappointed" when he's been publicly accused of being a murderer is as alienated from his real self as Obama is.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:15:09 AM »
Ryan probably is the best choice.

Romney has already publicly endorsed his entitlement reform plans, so he has nothing to lose by actually picking him as VP. He's telegenic, well spoken, articulate, but a plain talker at the same time, and is better off the cuff than most are with a teleprompter.

He's a good mix between 'rock star' to energize the base, and is still 'safe enough' in that he's always going to handle himself with a polite respectable demeanor.

He would also help bolster the vote in Wisconsin, grabbing at least a few thousand votes of the mushy-headed sort who'd just vote for Romney/Ryan just to see WI represented in the White House. Obama only won WI by a few thousand in 2008, and there is no Electoral College math that lets Obama win without Wisconsin.
I promise not to duck.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »
I like Ryan, but I think he's wasted in the VP slot (or job).  He and Romney can count beans together on the stump when things get slow.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
Romney will be saddled defending the Ryan plan, so it makes sense having Ryan around to explain it.

I like Ryan better than Rubio.

IMHO the person that will be the Veep candidate is Rubio.  We'll hear cries of pandering from the left.  Many hispanics are closet conservatives, and just vote demoncrat for some odd reason.  I see a lot I'm not fond of in Rubio, but I also see him as a straight talker who tries to do what he says.
The real problem is the Veep is nothing but a token position.  Whoever he picks is nothing but an extra campaign voice.
Of course should something happen to the POTUS, the Veep steps in, but that is like lightening striking a lottery winner....

For me, Rubio looks and sounds like "Bush III."  I don;t consider that a good thing.

Hispanics will not vote conservative in any great numbers.  They may be conservative on some social issues, but they sure do like that free money from the gov't and have voted accordingly.  Also, they are assimilating into the wrong sub-culture, which will drive them further away from anything resembling conservatism or libertarianism.

Romney, who of all people should know better, appears to believe America's problems are economic.  Or so he says.  Our economic problems are rooted in cultural and moral issues that, eventually, will out, no doubt dramatically.

That.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
Just a thought: would Romney have hired a young Obama at Bain?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »

Romney is a flip-flopping squish, but he seemed pretty darned focused on results as a businessman.  BHO has never shown the ability to produce anything other than hot air and surely no results.  I could see Romney hiring BHO only as an interface to "the community" if he felt he needed a token liaison...or as a result of blackmail from minority rabble-rousers.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »
Well, that's what I meant.  But there's the young, well-spoken Obama with a shiny Harvard Law degree who can "interface" with big clients.  I don't trust either of them.  There it is.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
Ryan is an an articulate, dedicated staff weenie who bettered himself into an elected position.  While he has done an admirable job explaining the theoreticals behind a rational budgetary philosophy he has no experience doing the executive thingy, which is making it happen.  Jindal has the best track record on that point.  Will he pull in votes, etc?  Who knows.  I sense as a country we are move to a point where our institutions are in danger of seizing up.  No theoretician will be of value when it happens.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 05:44:19 PM »
For me, Rubio looks and sounds like "Bush III."  I don;t consider that a good thing.

Hispanics will not vote conservative in any great numbers.  They may be conservative on some social issues, but they sure do like that free money from the gov't and have voted accordingly.  Also, they are assimilating into the wrong sub-culture, which will drive them further away from anything resembling conservatism or libertarianism.

Rubio is as mainstream Hispanic as Rice is mainstream African-American....he's a liability and sure to be called "coconut" by the MSM & others.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 06:20:07 PM »
how about Susana Martinez from New Mexico? 
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:39 PM »

If Obama was the sort that would go looking for a job in the capitalist market-place, he wouldn't be the same left-wing radical that wants our country torn down and rebuilt into another mediocre liberal democracy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
OK, Ok..I'll do it.  Have Romney send me a PM. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 07:22:58 PM »
how about Susana Martinez from New Mexico? 

Who?......

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
Is she hot?

Not bad at all for a fat chick.
"It's good, though..."