Author Topic: "Gun ownership . . . an infectious disease"  (Read 4784 times)

Marnoot

• friend
"Gun ownership . . . an infectious disease"
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:54:34 PM »
Article by AP is up on numerous sites:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/11/doctors-target-gun-violence-as-social-disease/

Features public health "professionals" saying things like:
Gun ownership — a precursor to gun violence — can spread "much like an infectious disease circulates," said Daniel Webster, a health policy expert and co-director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore. "There's sort of a contagion phenomenon" after a shooting, where people feel they need to have a gun for protection or retaliation, he said.

I've thought for awhile that "public health" was going to be the next attack vector on gun ownership.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: "Gun ownership . . . an infectious disease"
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »
Speaking as someone who works in healthcare, it has been for quite a while.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »
I notice that "retaliation" was mentioned.  Other than terrorist attacks, when has this come up?  I think it is one of those things you notice sometimes that gun-haters seem to have a lot of violence in their own mind assume all gun owners are just as violent or more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 11:42:06 PM »
Not just gun ownership, self-defense itself.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
I notice that "retaliation" was mentioned.  Other than terrorist attacks, when has this come up?  I think it is one of those things you notice sometimes that gun-haters seem to have a lot of violence in their own mind assume all gun owners are just as violent or more.

And yet people take off all their clothes, lie down on a table, and let these gun-haters come after them with a knife  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:19 AM »
And yet people take off all their clothes, lie down on a table, and let these gun-haters come after them with a knife  :O

Drugs are wonderful things.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »
http://www.king5.com/news/Doctors-target-gun-violence-as-a-social-disease-165866826.html

A good article describing the approach.  The former King County Medical Examiner, Dr. Donald Reay, was very big on this.  Interestingly enough, Dr. Reay also was instrumental in establishing how police choke holds killed people, leading to most police departments abandoning the practice.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
That's the same article. :laugh:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:30:49 PM »
That's the same article. :laugh:

Oops.  Clearly gun ownership has infected me and my brain is starting to melt.  If only the public health system had been able to step in in time!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 12:36:45 PM »
Gun fever infectious? I certainly hope so.

I love the "precursor to gun violence" part. Poor old James Holmes. He had no idea when he bought those guns that they would influence him to be a full-contact film critic. And look what those planes made the terrorists do, after they hijacked them on 11 Sept. Box-cutters; they're a gateway weapon.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:42:23 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »
Poor old James Holmes. He had no idea when he bought those guns that they would influence him to be a full-contact film critic.

Good thing he wasn't watching John Carter.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »
Good thing he wasn't watching John Carter.
Would anyone else be in the theater? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 12:48:09 PM »
There's a contagion loose in the land, all right, but it's not for gun ownership.  It's about suppressing individuality, reason, integrity, and honor.  The zombie phenomenon is a good metaphor.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »
The medical profession is not comprised of philosophers, it is comprised of people charged with keeping the people of a society--whatever that society is--physically viable.  If that means good workers, good serfs, so be it.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »
I'm not convinced that the Hippocratic oath in itself absolves physicians of any obligation to be thinking individuals. MechAg94 has it right. This is a symptom of a deeper cultural movement toward a collectivist/hive mindset.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »
If gun ownership is a disease, then we need voluntary childhood inoculation for all children, kinda like Chicken Pox.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
Health is the last refuge of scoundrels.  It's been said.

"Health" is not a replacement for honor, virtue, and morality, though many would have it so.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 08:37:08 AM »
"Health" is not a replacement for honor, virtue, and morality, though many would have it so.

Neither is "security."

This article is yet ANOTHER example of my growing belief that this country is overrun with idiots.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
This article is yet ANOTHER example of my growing belief that this country is overrun with idiots.

You noticed that too, huh ?   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
Neither is "security."

With the speed of communication to the masses via the Interwebz, those idiots reach audiences much faster, and more of them, than the old days.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »
The obsession with health is symptomatic of the belief that life is about nothing but nerve-endings and that the source of our well-being is not The Divine but a shot or a pill.  Just as psychology has replaced morality as our matrix of social guidance, health has replaced honor and virtue as our most cherished goal.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.