Author Topic: The word "sandwich" is racist  (Read 15601 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
The word "sandwich" is racist
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:14:25 PM »
so says Portland Public Schools principal Verenice Gutierrez:
http://portlandtribune.com/pt-rss/9-news/114604-schools-beat-the-drum
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The word "sandwich" is racist
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »
White bread?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:21:46 PM »
 :facepalm:

Wait, wait....

:facepalm:

Yeah, that's about all I can come up with regarding this.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »
It's a school ...

in America ...

you can learn what the hell a sandwich is, if you don't know.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »
Here's a big part of the problem (from the comments):

I believe that racism is a system of advantage that benefits white folks like myself, while withholding advantages from people of color.

This is their definition of racism. To them, racism against white people doesn't exist. Nor does racism from people of one color (other than white) against those of another color (other than white). They need to stop using the term "racism", since they don't know what it means, and start calling what they do "teaching white guilt" or something.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:49:29 PM »
If you're not smart enough or good enough to teach real knowledge, not to worry. You can make up hippicruft, and teach that. The parents will be too dumb to know the difference. Exhibit A:
At least one parent has a problem with the the class, saying it amounts to “blatant discrimination and equity of women, Asians, whites and Native Americans.”

http://thatisracist.tumblr.com/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:15:49 AM »
Please be Portland, ME, please be Portland ME, please be Portland, ME....

*reads story*

Oh god damnit.  :facepalm:

Oh well, not surprising.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 12:33:07 AM »
“This isn’t for the weak,” she says. “We have less [sic] resources."

*sigh*

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 08:21:45 AM »
In the linked article, they mentioned that "sandwich" might be unfamiliar to Somalis or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches.

Hmmm . . . if that's the standard for racisim, there are a lot of OTHER words that might be equally racist because they're unfamiliar to certain minorities.

Toilet paper.

Television.

Soap.

Freedom.

Liberty.

Hygiene.

Deodorant.

And on and on. Somehow, they're equating our commonplace knowledge with racisim, if some turd world denizen is unfamiliar with it.

This proves once again the truth of the first line in my .sig.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:58:09 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »

Freedom?

Liberty?

Definitely racist.

\/
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »
No need to over think the idea of school, it's to teach kids stuff they need to know.  If you can't teach a kid what a sandwich is, you've already failed in your mission, and no desperate search for whiffs of racism is going to change that.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
This and stuff in the Chicago teachers thread just had me thinking: If I were a public elementary school student today, not only would I do poorly in school, but it seems the entire system would prepare me for nothing more in the job market than to be an expert on work place "equality". It's sort of creating a bizzaro version of Idiocracy, where people have expert "knowledge" of specific uses of language in culture, but can't do basic math.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
The purpose of our school system is to make sure the legacy culture of America is destroyed, once and for all.

It seems to be working.  That such a "teacher" has a job in America, can say what she says, shows us how institutionalized the poison is, folks.

As for the Somalis, the Haitians, the Mesoamericans, just one question, what guys in thousand-dollar suits "brung" 'em?  I don't remember the American people being asked, EVER, if they wanted to repopulate America with denizens of the Third World who would then require US to change for THEM.

Yeah, beating an old drum, but unfortunately the drumsticks need to be active.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »
Ought we consider sending one's children to public schools child neglect?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
There was another shining example, just last week, of someone getting out the microscope to find racism where it could not possibly exist. I keep trying to remember what it was. Anyone else hear the same story?  ???

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »
There was another shining example, just last week, of someone getting out the microscope to find racism where it could not possibly exist.  ???

"It's good, though..."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:22 PM »
Your country is doomed - your only hope is to start warming your beer, drinking tea and burning down dentists.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »
We need an amicable, or at least civil, divorce.  I'd move.  I'd move to where honor was paramount, where civility was not a sign of timidity, where excellence was encouraged and rewarded.  To where charity is a choice, and a moral imperative, not a legal requirement.  To where everyone's rights were respected, including their rights to privacy and the fruits of their own labor.  Oh yeah, I'd go there with only the clothes on my back and the change in my pocket.

The screeching of the naysayers and complainers and detractors is sapping my soul.  Eff 'em.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »
Today, I saw an African-American man eating a BBQ sandwich on white bread....should I counsel him on racial sensitivity or just confiscate his sandwich?.....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 11:53:31 PM »
The public school system explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fj6Qamu0JY
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 03:37:38 AM »
Well sammich is sexist and it should be. They hear sammich and they better be fixing one.  :rofl:

Maybe we ought to send the principal in the OP a box of Oreos. They're sammiches of a sort, they're white, they're black, they're so confused!!! Maybe melt her circuit boards.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 04:03:10 AM »
That's why here at the APS we use the word "sammitch". It is neither racist like "sandwich", nor sexist like "sammich".

It's so PC that it's straight-bi-gay-sensitive, as you will note that it's actually made up from Sam + Mitch... which can be Samuel and Mitchel, or Samantha and Mitchel, or Samantha and Mitchelle.

It may however discriminate against the furries.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 10:48:03 AM »
Das Gluten!  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »
That's why here at the APS we use the word "sammitch". It is neither racist like "sandwich", nor sexist like "sammich".

It's so PC that it's straight-bi-gay-sensitive, as you will note that it's actually made up from Sam + Mitch... which can be Samuel and Mitchel, or Samantha and Mitchel, or Samantha and Mitchelle.

It may however discriminate against the furries.

Durn tootin'. Better not be no fur on my sammitch.