Author Topic: The word "sandwich" is racist  (Read 15646 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: The word "sandwich" is racist
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »
I do my part for diversity by using whole-grain breads for my sandwiches.  They are a pleasing brownish or beige color, celebrating the rich palette of all skin tones mixed together.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »

Durn tootin'. Better not be no fur on my sammitch.

Not sure what an appropriate response to this would be.

Especially in a context-free environment.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
I'd mention that peanut butter was invented by George Wahinton Carver but looking at the article, anything that isn't international culture is racist or something.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
I'd mention that peanut butter was invented by George Wahinton Carver but looking at the article, anything that isn't international culture is racist or something.

He didn't invent peanut butter, but he did have a bunch of other recipes and uses for peanuts.

It's also an American plant that has had the same world effects as the potato, just in a diffrent climate. It's a dietary staple around the world, but particularly in parts of Africa. In some of those places, they use the peanut in their cooking a lot more them we do.

Considering that putting stuff on forms of baked celerals is pretty universal, I'd say "sandwiches" are one of the least culturally specific food out there.

I seriously think this principle and her flunkies need some sense smacked into them.
The said thing is, there are still a few racial inequalities out there that need addressing. This superficial crap and pushing actual racism in the other direction is not only wasting time, it's creating more issues then we already have.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 06:22:10 PM »
I suppose that we could put something between two slices of bread and call it "Hawaii"  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »

Or maybe "Azores."
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »
Or maybe "Azores."

Were they also originally called the "Sandwich Islands"  ???  ???  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »
Were they also originally called the "Sandwich Islands"  ???  ???  ???

Nah.

I was just staying with the "island" theme.

Figured I'd avoid making it too easy for the others.

I probably should have just gone with the Cook Islands.  Or maybe Vanuatu.

Or I could have gone with a fish, but that's getting pretty obscure.

=D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:34:31 PM by ArfinGreebly »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »
. . . I probably should have just gone with the Cook Islands . . . 
Also potentially racist - some of these Turd World denizens may not realize that food can be cooked, having never discovered fire.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
Nah.

I was just staying with the "island" theme.

Figured I'd avoid making it too easy for the others.

I probably should have just gone with the Cook Islands.  Or maybe Vanuatu.

Or I could have gone with a fish, but that's getting pretty obscure.

=D

I think there are still "South Sandwich Islands" near Antarctica.  So Hawaii was really the North Sandwich Islands.

That old Earl was pretty high bread.  He must have had a lot of dough.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:31 PM »
So, the story thus far...

Sandwiches are racist because not everybody knows what they are.
Sandwiches are also sexist because some guys want women to make them all the time.

As both a minority and a woman, this makes me feel very, very bad...

...for them sammiches.  :lol:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 10:40:33 PM »
So, the story thus far...

Sandwiches are racist because not everybody knows what they are.
Sandwiches are also sexist because some guys want women to make them all the time.

As both a minority and a woman, this makes me feel very, very bad...

...for them sammiches.  :lol:

You have a rye sense of humor  =D

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 10:54:39 PM »

Yer humor runs against the grain.

It's like yer just threshing around tryna find the right words.

Yer oats to be ashamed.

We don't knead that kind of thing here.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 02:05:38 AM »
Yer humor runs against the grain.

It's like yer just threshing around tryna find the right words.

Yer oats to be ashamed.

We don't knead that kind of thing here.

Puns like that will get this thread locked. ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
We're toast  =(

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »
But I thought this thread was the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »

Had something longer I wanted to say, but brevity is the soul of wheat.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »
Somehow I don't find the take-over of my public education system amusing.  We don't take the propagation of our culture, than which nothing is more sacred or important, sufficiently important.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »
Somehow I don't find the take-over of my public education system amusing.  We don't take the propagation of our culture, than which nothing is more sacred or important, sufficiently important.

We're using Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" against this, by mocking it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 01:53:22 PM »

It goes against the grain with me also. :(

How do you propose that we rise up against our evil cafeteria monitors  ???

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
One of many reasons why i'm financially positioning myself to send my kid to private school
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 01:55:34 PM »
One of many reasons why i'm financially positioning myself to send my kid to private school

We homeschooled through 8th grade.  ;)

Nowadays, I'm not sure I would send them to HS either  =|

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
There's a few private schools in the area that are excellent. Home schooling isn't a great option for us. I want my kid to have a solid math and science foundation, and as much as I love my wife, she's not in a position to provide that. So, without me staying home, it wouldn't work well.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »
I'm still stuck trying to make a pun using "triticale".  :(  If I ever get it, it'll be awesome.

(like that time Ted Baxter tried to make a knock knock joke with Anna Maria Alberghetti)
"It's good, though..."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »
I don't care much for home schooling.  There are several excellent private schools in my area, but they are very expensive... not racially exclusive, but cost makes them exclusive.

Pretty humorist about "sandwich" being racist.  I thought it must be a sex thing.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)