Author Topic: "...a gratuitous and aggressive act of intrusion on people’s innermost beliefs.”  (Read 4709 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
That is, of course, advertisements that make fun of your religion.

And by religion, I mean "Catholicism":

This ad now banned in Milano, Italy.

Fascinatingly, it was temporarily banned in France, but a court reversed the ban later:

http://www.volokh.com/2012/09/28/when-you-trivialise-the-founding-acts-of-a-religion-when-you-touch-on-sacred-things/
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Should I... shouldn't I.... eh, screw it, I shall!

So how many ambassadors were murdered and embassies sacked by those radical Catholics over this?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Is the photographer in custody?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
It's also from 2005.

More
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
It's also from 2005.

More

I missed my chance to riot and sack an embassy? Dang it, these provocations of us Christians are so rare, I have to get the most out of each one.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Sacred cows are ment to be gored.  It is a religious obligation and if you oppose you're intruding on my faith.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Yeah, in the Old World they don't necessarily allow stuff like that.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=36205.0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
Here's a blasphemy case ongoing in Greece right now:

http://www.volokh.com/2012/09/24/blasphemy-prosecution/

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
I'm waiting for the Last Supper parody based on the Goldman Sachs brain trust...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I'm waiting for the Last Supper parody based on the Goldman Sachs brain trust...

Who plays Judas Iscariot?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

erictank

• friends

purequackery

Which is better, seeing violent riots in the streets over blasphemy, or seeing courts ban blasphemy and arrest people accused of it?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.  —Bob Newhart

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
Which is better, seeing violent riots in the streets over blasphemy, or seeing courts ban blasphemy and arrest people accused of it?

C: those who regard it as blasphemy leave said blasphemers the *expletive deleted*ck alone. Their faith that said blasphemers are going to the place of discomfort should be sufficient to assuage their sensibilities. Oh, and something about judgement being God/Allah's domain.

MicroBalrog

• friend

Certainly violent riots.

That would allow us to spot the sorts prone to violence over such matters, and shoot them in the head.

Or imprison them.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Certainly violent riots.

That would allow us to spot the sorts prone to violence over such matters, and shoot them in the head.

Or imprison them.

Indeed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
Certainly violent riots.

Or imprison them.

Hmmm. Can I change my answer to A? But only if we can actually shoot the violent rioters in the head, instead of letting them scale the walls of our embassies, tear down our flags, and hoist theirs with impunity.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages

Do you support either?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Certainly violent riots.

Or imprison them.

I agree with MicroBalrog. Plus eleven billion or whatnot.

If you feel the need to riot over anything except for foreign invasion or government suspending the Constitution, yep. You kinda deserve to be shot, and voila, no more rioting. Mind you, that's rioting. Breaking and burning stuff. Now, granted, having the military do so can have all kinds of interesting problems and possibly cause more problems. But having property owners, their associates, the police or the National Guard doing so? No one will care, except for the media.

I'm not sure why we don't issue proper riot suppression gear to our embassies and close any consulate that is not legally considered US soil. Two M134D's, a handful of sniper rifles, a couple SAWs and/or M240s, and some Javelins in case of technicals or suicide trucks. Just make the walls thick enough to soak up the extra rounds. It'll handle virtually any riot. Any country that is not down with that, tis fine. Pull out our embassy.

Don't get me wrong, serious overkill for say, Japan or Switzerland. But the point should be fairly clear.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Rev, what you propose requires testicular fortitude and common sense.  Both are lacking in the government in general, and this administration in particular.
The narrative is that with UBL dead, AQ is in defeat.  Therefore we are loved and safe around the world.  When does Barry get his second Nobel PP?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
Rev, what you propose requires testicular fortitude and common sense.  Both are lacking in the government in general, and this administration in particular.
The narrative is that with UBL dead, AQ is in defeat.  Therefore we are loved and safe around the world.  When does Barry get his second Nobel PP?

Wait! Would that actually be a third legitimate cause for rioting??

MechAg94

• friend
So which one in the picture is Peter Rabbit?

Hare Club For Men  :angel:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Phyphor

• friend
Certainly violent riots.

Or imprison them.

I lean more towards shooting.  Ammo's cheap. Feeding them for years isn't.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour