Author Topic: The next Obama  (Read 80270 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The next Obama
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:18:19 AM »
The Democrats have definitely found a formula here. Find a barely-qualified African-American who can say pretty words, and people will vote for him in throngs. After four years of gaffes and disaster, he can win an easy re-election, so he can try again. He gets a mulligan, basically.

The Democratic Party would have to be nuts not to stick with such a winning formula. (Or they would have to actually develop a conscience.) So, assuming the Democratic Party still has to abide by term limits in four years, who are they going to nominate in '16?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The next Obama
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 08:19:31 AM »
I think you underestimate the ability of conservatives and right wingers to be unenthused by lackluster establishment  (R) candidates.  The Dems didn't win *expletive deleted*it, but the Republicans sure lost.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20121108/OPINION04/711089946#Republicans-need-to-take-their-party-back

And another political pundit weighing in on how the Republican party has shot itself in the foot. I still like Huntsman.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »
The Democrats have definitely found a formula here. Find a barely-qualified African-American who can say pretty words, and people will vote for him in throngs. After four years of gaffes and disaster, he can win an easy re-election, so he can try again. He gets a mulligan, basically.

I wonder if he's going to get another Peace Prize?

The Democratic Party would have to be nuts not to stick with such a winning formula. (Or they would have to actually develop a conscience.) So, assuming the Democratic Party still has to abide by term limits in four years, who are they going to nominate in '16?

D. of the year, the woman who was stealing checks from the wheelchair bound blind cripple?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »
I think you underestimate the ability of conservatives and right wingers to be unenthused by lackluster establishment  (R) candidates.  The Dems didn't win *expletive deleted*, but the Republicans sure lost.
From 2008 to 2012, Obama's vote total dropped by almost 9,000,000 votes, which will probably work out to somewhere around a 12%-13% drop in support once all the results are in.

However, Romney got about 2,000,000 fewer votes than McCain did four years ago. And we all know how fired up conservatives were about McCain.

As for minor candidates . . . the Libertarian got a little over a million votes and the tag team of Roseanne Barr and Cindy Shehan got around 40,000 votes, but they were only on the ballot in a few states. (I'm not sure how perennial unofficial write-in candidate Mickey Mouse did.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
As for minor candidates . . . the Libertarian got a little over a million votes and the tag team of Roseanne Barr and Cindy Shehan got around 40,000 votes, but they were only on the ballot in a few states. (I'm not sure how perennial unofficial write-in candidate Mickey Mouse did.)

Which is very good for the Libertarians.  It's also usually months and months before anything but D&R totals can be found.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »
I'm still sticking with Hillary running in 2016. Usually after 8 years of one party, the other party gets in because the general population is sick of the same old thing. But if the Republicans have a lackluster candidate, or even a decent one, running the first woman for President (with a chance to win) will fire up the emotional and "white/male/rich/liberal/whatever guilt" vote.

Maybe the Republicans will pull a rabbit out of their hat, but right now I don't see any female Republicans that would be popular (or more precisely, more popular than Hillary) among independents and undecideds.

If Hillary doesn't run, then I predict that maybe the Republicans will smarten up and run Rand Paul, Jindal, or one of the other, more conservative and younger names being thrown about and will have a good chance to win. If one of these names is run against Hillary, I predict they won't do well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »
Yeah, the massive drop in R's (and especially white male R's, the traditional power base of the party) turning out for Romney is what killed him. I wonder how many semi-liberal squishes have to lose big before the GOP pulls its head out and stops trying to chase left leaning indies by alienating the base?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:59:01 AM »
Let Hillary finish the job.

Then we can go straight to an Islamic "Republic."

Forget conservatism and libertarianism, liberty-loving people have one and only one option: Separation.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
Let Hillary finish the job.

Then we can go straight to an Islamic "Republic."

Forget conservatism and libertarianism, liberty-loving people have one and only one option: Separation.

An Islamic take over of the country is less plausible than a Red Dawn style invasion. We're falling apart certainly, but that's not going to happen.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »
Rand Paul, Jindal, or one of the other, more conservative and younger names being thrown about and will have a good chance to win. If one of these names is run against Hillary, I predict they won't do well.

Paul Ryan and Rand Paul ticket?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
The next Obama
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
An Islamic take over of the country is less plausible than a Red Dawn style invasion. We're falling apart certainly, but that's not going to happen.

I know, I know, and we don't have Communism here either because, well, they don't call it Communism.  You are so right.

I guess you haven't noticed that Islam and the Left have a lot in common once you get past the details.  Islam isn't going to invade, although I expect a sharp increase in legal immigration under the wise tutelage of Obama and Foggy Bottom, but they are going to exert more and more influence on the culture.  It may not be the Islam with an Unhappy Face we're used to, of course; that would be markedly unsubtle.  We'll see.

As for Red Dawn scenarios, yeah, also totally crazy, but when our currency collapses and social order starts to crumble, I'd say just about anything is on the table.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »
I know, I know, and we don't have Communism here either because, well, they don't call it Communism.  You are so right.

I guess you haven't noticed that Islam and the Left have a lot in common once you get past the details.  Islam isn't going to invade, although I expect a sharp increase in legal immigration under the wise tutelage of Obama and Foggy Bottom, but they are going to exert more and more influence on the culture.  It may not be the Islam with an Unhappy Face we're used to, of course; that would be markedly unsubtle.  We'll see.

As for Red Dawn scenarios, yeah, also totally crazy, but when our currency collapses and social order starts to crumble, I'd say just about anything is on the table.

Communist infiltration of .gov is a well documented fact.

Let's be specific here, much as you avoid that. What would your Islamic take over look like? Forcing us to bow to Mecca and attend mosques? Banning pork products and dog ownership? Forcing women to wear burqas? What exactly are you envisioning when you say that, in real world terms not some vague allegory?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 03:46:58 PM »
Fair question.

I think if this society gets too anarchic New Islam--this is the one with a few relaxed rules and stylish Arabic couture and a bit more swagga--may look appealing.  :)
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
So, assuming the Democratic Party still has to abide by term limits in four years, who are they going to nominate in '16?

I doubt this will hinder the Obama Administration much.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
Yeah, the massive drop in R's (and especially white male R's, the traditional power base of the party) turning out for Romney is what killed him. I wonder how many semi-liberal squishes have to lose big before the GOP pulls its head out and stops trying to chase left leaning indies by alienating the base?

Channeling Bob Dylan ...?   ;)

I don't think that there will be another general election.  Either the total economic crash will cause the USSA to break up, or Obama will be Emporer for Life by then  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »
I doubt this will hinder the Obama Administration much.....

Well, I guess we would have no choice but to repeal the term limit. 'Cause it's racist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 09:25:52 PM »

Well, I guess we would have no choice but to repeal the term limit. 'Cause it's racist.

And since we can't rely on those racist states to ratify the repeal we'll just go ahead and do it with an Executive Order and have the SCOTUS (properly re-staffed with judges who think correctly) uphold it.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 09:31:31 PM »
I'm still sticking with Hillary running in 2016. Usually after 8 years of one party, the other party gets in because the general population is sick of the same old thing. But if the Republicans have a lackluster candidate, or even a decent one, running the first woman for President (with a chance to win) will fire up the emotional and "white/male/rich/liberal/whatever guilt" vote.

Maybe the Republicans will pull a rabbit out of their hat, but right now I don't see any female Republicans that would be popular (or more precisely, more popular than Hillary) among independents and undecideds.

If Hillary doesn't run, then I predict that maybe the Republicans will smarten up and run Rand Paul, Jindal, or one of the other, more conservative and younger names being thrown about and will have a good chance to win. If one of these names is run against Hillary, I predict they won't do well.

Looking back at the last 4 years, I still agree with myself of 4 years ago...I would have preferred Hillary to Obama.  While she's liberal, she is no where near as liberal as BHO, and would have been able to triangulate after 2010.  And she would probably not have actively destroyed things as much as BHO.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »
Looking back at the last 4 years, I still agree with myself of 4 years ago...I would have preferred Hillary to Obama.  While she's liberal, she is no where near as liberal as BHO, and would have been able to triangulate after 2010.  And she would probably not have actively destroyed things as much as BHO.

Speculation on your part.

Hillary is just another version of Obama.  Her husband planted a lot of the seeds of we have today.  You seem to have forgotten Hillarycare?

If our choices come down to Obama or Hillary the game is up.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
I think you underestimate the ability of conservatives and right wingers to be unenthused by lackluster establishment  (R) candidates.  The Dems didn't win *expletive deleted*, but the Republicans sure lost.

I don't think it had to do with enthusiasm. I think the Repubs/Conservatives are too stuck on being single-issue voters, and if the Republican candidate happens to be a moderate rather than a zealot on their particular hot-button issue, rather than support him because at least he's not the other guy ... they either throw away their vote in a "statement" by voting for a minority candidate who never had a prayer of topping 2 percent of the popular vote, or they just stay home.

And then on Wednesday morning they cue up the choir for a rousing rendition of "Where did we go wrong?"

Don't believe it? Go back through pre-election threads here, and on other forums to which you belong. Keep a running tally of how many people you find who admitted to liking Obama or saying they were going to vote for Obama. I predict it'll be a pretty low number. On the iother side of the sheet, keep a running tally of the people who said they hate Obama and what he stands for, BUT who couldn't possibly vote for Romney because he is (or isn't) [fill in pet issue of choice].
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:38:29 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »

:cough: Condaleeza Rice :cough:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »
:cough: Condaleeza Rice :cough:

She has made it abundantly clear that ain't never gonna happen.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »
She has made it abundantly clear that ain't never gonna happen.

Yup.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."