Author Topic: School Shooting at CT Elementary School  (Read 54053 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: School Shooting at CT Elementary School
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
Assuming the facebook page is correct, seems like an urban bohemian/hipster type, the likes seem to revolve around community theater and indie music. The only remotely "militant" or "violent" thing on the page was a like for the Mass Effect sci-fi shooting/combat game.

I promise not to duck.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 02:53:21 PM »
Thought they are both despicable in different ways, I would have to give the edge to the killer. I am sure there will be no shortage of groups and politicians that will exploit this in a huge variety of ways.

Within the next few days I am sure we will hear about any kind of treatment he underwent, books he read, violent movies he watched, music he listened to, guns he owned, and all sorts of other aspects of his life that 'experts' can pick apart.

don't forget the "violent video games"...

That one is already being bandied about in our neck of the woods from the mall shooting a few days ago...  By that halfwit Jack Thompson.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
The guy the media dug up on facebook as the shooter... is posting right now on facebook... that he isn't the shooter.

Crack (whore) media work, once again.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
FB Page is gone too.
I promise not to duck.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
It's times like this I begin to think that there can't possibly be a loving God in this universe

I don't want to start a big religious discussion in this thread, but while I understand the sentiment, the existence of evil in this world does not negate the existence of a loving God...

If you really want a better explanation, I'd point you here:  http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2012/07/why-does-god-allow-tragedy-and-suffering/

This is a blog post written shortly after the Aurora shooting, but I feel it applies equally well to this situation
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:52:08 PM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »
I don't want to start a big religious discussion in this thread, but while I understand the sentiment, the existence of evil in this world does not negate the existence of a loving God...

Because it's a fundamental in Christianity, that the world as you see it now is broken.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 03:29:59 PM »
 :facepalm:

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2012/12/14/school-shooting-leaves-multiple-injured/

Melissa Makris, 43, said her 10-year-old son, Philip, was in the school gym.

“He said he heard a lot of loud noises and then screaming. Then the gym teachers immediately gathered the children in a corner and kept them safe in a corner,” Makris said.

"Safe in a corner?"

Corners are safe for tornadoes and earthquakes.

There's a colloquialism out there... "Getting cornered."  Schools still teach what the word "colloquialism" means, right?

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/corner

back oneself into a corner
Fig. to manage to get oneself into a position where there is limited escape. (Ranging from literal to figurative.) He tells different stories to different people. Finally he backed himself into a corner and had to admit his lies.

have someone or something cornered
1. Lit. to have someone or something trapped as in a corner. We had the wild cat cornered, but it jumped over the wall and got away.
2. Fig. to have someone or something located and under control. I think I have the part you need cornered in a warehouse in Indiana. We'll order it.
See also: have

This above, is the psychology that allows this to happen, again and again.

The shooter is a natural force to their perception, like a tornado or earthquake or hurricane.  Something to "weather."  Duck and shelter.  Not something to combat and overcome and dominate, or hide from if the courage to fight is not present.

Rather than bunched in a corner in the gym, the students would have been far safer, immediately fleeing or dispersed throughout the room, or huddled in the center and prepared to scatter at the first sign of a threat.  Cornered, it's like another colloquialism:  Fish in a barrel. :'(

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 03:35:58 PM »
This above, is the psychology that allows this to happen, again and again.

The interesting thing is that a 10 year old has all of the mental capacity and physical ability (speed agility)to survive such a situation on their own even if an adult's mind is muddled up to the point it vapor locks. 10 year olds don't have decades of society pounding false morals and programming into their heads to impede their survival in the jungle.
Turn them loose, tell them to run for an exit. A bunch of running, screaming kids (or even sneaking kids) are going to be hard targets to hit, and they have a lot better chance than huddled in a fatal funnel with a closed end.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

zahc

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
This is why I have never understood lockdowns. I have heard that even other schools in the area went into lockdown. What is it about lock down that makes people think it's a reasonable response to this sort of thing? The better approach would be to throw all the doors open and let people run about.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 03:40:58 PM »
Because it's not about resolving the situation. It's about "getting control" of the situation.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 03:43:54 PM »
while i am at a loss for words regarding the mental state of someone who would commit this crime, it came as a further surprise to read the following ..

President Obama was briefed on the shooting by FBI Director Robert Mueller.

does the president now direct the local law enforcement response?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
Police on the tube now giving an update-

20 kids, 18 at the scene 2 more made it to the hospital before being pronounced dead.
6 adults, all at the scene. 1 at secondary scene. Plus the shooter, so 28 total.
One section of the school, two school rooms.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
Striking defenseless kids is all about striking at control mechanisms.  Teachers, administrators and teh nooz are the intended audiences.

Massacring kids in a classroom fits an objective in one of these people's minds... massacring kids actively fleeing and shooting them in the back transcends the mental boundaries these people have constructed.  They have power in a classroom, they have leverage, they have an audience.  When the kids are fleeing, they aren't paying any heed to the shooter other than being immediately revolted by his presence and trying to get away.  The shooter loses his enforced "charisma" as a hostage keeper, and has no means to maintain control over his audience.

The kids are FAR safer running through the hallways, running away from an active shooter situation, IMO, than cooped up in classrooms.

The huddle-in-a-corner-with-the-lights-out response sickens and revolts me.  It's herd mentality practiced by prey societies.  And it's a sick accounting of all the bodies in our litigious world, even if the bodies are room temperature... rather than possibly having kids escape campus and be unaccounted for, for a brief period for the rest of the day as they seek safety elsewhere than on campus.

Gotta have CONTROL above defense and safety.
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
while i am at a loss for words regarding the mental state of someone who would commit this crime, it came as a further surprise to read the following ..

does the president now direct the local law enforcement response?

He does when it's time to push for a gun ban
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
The huddle-in-a-corner-with-the-lights-out response sickens and revolts me.  It's herd mentality practiced by prey societies.  And it's a sick accounting of all the bodies in our litigious world, even if the bodies are room temperature... rather than possibly having kids escape campus and be unaccounted for, for a brief period for the rest of the day as they seek safety elsewhere than on campus.

I have a feeling that it also factors in law enforcement response.
Having the kids herded into corners makes them less likely to be shot by the SWAT team if by some remote chance they show up in time to do any good.
Having kids murdered by a 'gunman' fits the correct idiom that society wants, having a kid shot by accident by a cop or SWAT team doesn't.
Prey societies indeed.

Barack Obama

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »

I heard him speaking and he said "We need to take some kind of meaningful action, regardless of politics".

Here it comes.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
I heard him speaking and he said "We need to take some kind of meaningful action, regardless of politics".

Here it comes.

Yeah, I caught that too.  Here it comes indeed.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »

Can't be bothered for an Ambassador being murdered half a world away, but when it's something in our backyard that can be exploited....   :mad:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »

Here it comes.

Hmm.  Obama's gonna push for armed teachers.  Despite his party's stance on the issue.

Maybe he is interested in meaningful action, regardless of politics. =|
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »
This is why I have never understood lockdowns. I have heard that even other schools in the area went into lockdown. What is it about lock down that makes people think it's a reasonable response to this sort of thing? The better approach would be to throw all the doors open and let people run about.

I think the point is that the hallways are about to be full of police, with weapons out.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »
I think the point is that the hallways are about to be full of police, with weapons out.

In maybe 3-5 minutes, yeah.

Remember the timed fire drills they used to do in elementary school?  Everyone was out of the building in 3-5 minutes.  And that's calm and orderly, once the bell starts ringing.

Now, what happens when the bad guy comes into the office first, and kills the people supposed to call 911?  Then goes through the rest of the campus, while everyone else is assuming the office called 911?

A 500 student school could be evacuated in 90 seconds or less, if the kids were taught that the sound of gunfire means GTFO, now.
--Lysander Spooner

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »

And then, for the "ERMAHGERD, teh gunnnz!" crowd, there's always this gem . . . from China.

Twenty-two students stabbed.  And, yes, it's current news.

Any way that we could outlaw government schooling?
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »
In maybe 3-5 minutes, yeah.

Remember the timed fire drills they used to do in elementary school?  Everyone was out of the building in 3-5 minutes.  And that's calm and orderly, once the bell starts ringing.

Now, what happens when the bad guy comes into the office first, and kills the people supposed to call 911?  Then goes through the rest of the campus, while everyone else is assuming the office called 911?

A 500 student school could be evacuated in 90 seconds or less, if the kids were taught that the sound of gunfire means GTFO, now.

the sound of gunfire? to quote one of the kids." it sounded like cans falling over"  evac everytime you hear a loud noise might get awkward

its also about inventory and liability. you let the kids scatter and one gets blasted its the schools fault. and they are all about keeping track of the lil heathens .get to highschool and its hard to tell shooters from students.
scatter at loud noises is a non starter
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »

Also, don't discount efficiency.

If you herd the kids into corners, it's much easier to count the bodies later.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »
you let the kids scatter and one gets blasted its the schools fault.

Excellent point!
OTOH, if a school huddles all of the kids into a kill zone, they can claim they followed procedures and did everything could to keep the kids safe.

Barack Obama